5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving Characteristics - 3.21/5.7 eTorque vs. 3.92/5.7

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I've always wondered why some people think the 3.21 is sluggish off the line and I finally think I understand why. I have a no option Tradesman with 3.21 gears and it feels completely fine off the line. A Tradesman can weigh 700 lbs less than some of the top trims.

I think the weight of your options (especially wheels/tires) is an important consideration when choosing gearing.

I've hauled 700 pounds in my truck (and more) and it definitely feels different.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can speak to this with my own experiences with eTorque. When Towing really heavy 9K+ off the line at a green light, I can feel when the eTorque stops assisting and it is all engine and I wish the engineers allowed the eTorque to continue to assist until acceleration is almost flat, but I am guessing that they didn't want to design a separate more beefy Diff, Driveline, Transmission, to match the combined 540 Ft Lb of Torque that it would be capable of...

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
If have AC on and stopped at a light will the engine shut off, wondering on both eTorque and non-eTorque 5.7 engines?
Yes it will shut off the temp is ok. If not then no it stays running. But I have found that it will normally shut off and stay off for most light.

Users who are viewing this thread