5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driving Characteristics - 3.21/5.7 eTorque vs. 3.92/5.7

The Critic

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the market for a Ram 1500 but have no plans to use the truck for towing. I am strongly considering 3.21 gears in order to maximize fuel economy but I also recognize that 3.92 gears may deliver better off-the-line acceleration.

However, the eTorque system is supposed to provide a boost in torque when accelerating from a stop. Would this added boost offset the reduction in performance from the 3.21 gears?

Has anyone driven both combinations?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've driven both, and I bought both 3.92 and eTorque mainly to compensate for less horsepower/torque than the equivalent GM (6.2L) or Ford (3.5L TT) product.

In my opinion, these features (gearing and eTorque) are not directly comparable. Gearing makes a huge difference off the line—more than eTorque. However, eTorque adds seamless start/stop capabilities, the ability to get the truck moving even while the engine is being started, smoother shifting, and mild regenerative braking.

The Critic

Reaction score
I've driven both, and I bought both 3.92 and eTorque mainly to compensate for less horsepower/torque than the equivalent GM (6.2L) or Ford (3.5L TT) product.

In my opinion, these features (gearing and eTorque) are not directly comparable. Gearing makes a huge difference off the line—more than eTorque. However, eTorque adds seamless start/stop capabilities, the ability to get the truck moving even while the engine is being started, smoother shifting, and mild regenerative braking.
Thanks. Can the start/stop be temporarily turned off on the non eTorque 5.7?

YellowSled

Reaction score
My dealer had two identical trucks on the lot. Same color, packages, both with eTourqe, everything the same with the exception of one option. One had the 3.92 and one had 3.21. I opted for the 3.21 as I will not be towing much of anything either. Id rather save some on fuel cost in the long run. I know it wont be as peppy as a 3.92, but im ok with that.

The Critic

Reaction score
My dealer had two identical trucks on the lot. Same color, packages, both with eTourqe, everything the same with the exception of one option. One had the 3.92 and one had 3.21. I opted for the 3.21 as I will not be towing much of anything either. Id rather save some on fuel cost in the long run. I know it wont be as peppy as a 3.92, but im ok with that.
What kind of fuel economy are you getting with the 3.21/eTorque combo?

snj1013

Reaction score
As I understand it, the Etorque will not add any HP/Torque, but will supplement the power delivery from a start, allowing the truck to use less fuel when accelerating. My truck has the 3.21 gears (no Etorque), and I too don't intend to tow much, if at all. I intentionally went this route for reliability reasons. Early 2019 Rams did have some issues with the Etorque system and when the system fails, the vehicle is left inoperable as I understand it. Bottom line, I figured a simpler system was more reliable long term and long term is where the Etorque system would pay off financially from the fuel savings.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The eTorque adds 130 Ft Lb of Torque at low RPMs when the truck is starting off the line (besides the other features of it which are smoother shifting, Auto Start/Stop, and braking assist through regenerative engine braking).
So lets say at Idle you are at 700 RPMs, the 5.7 Hemi engine is putting out ~290 Ft Lb of Torque and ~175 HP at this RPM, When you hit the gas pedal you get 410 Ft LB of Torque from a combined 130 from the electric motor and 290 from the engine. If you keep your foot in it fully floored as you reach enough RPM the eTorque stops assisting In the first half to 3/4 of a Tire rotation and the engine is doing all of the heavy lifting from that point after you have overcome the starting inertia.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, the Etorque will not add any HP/Torque, but will supplement the power delivery from a start, allowing the truck to use less fuel when accelerating. My truck has the 3.21 gears (no Etorque), and I too don't intend to tow much, if at all. I intentionally went this route for reliability reasons. Early 2019 Rams did have some issues with the Etorque system and when the system fails, the vehicle is left inoperable as I understand it. Bottom line, I figured a simpler system was more reliable long term and long term is where the Etorque system would pay off financially from the fuel savings.
Very few issues reported in the last couple of years here. Mine’s been flawless since delivery (September 2018). And the system is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty. I do appreciate reliability, but I haven’t seen anything to indicate eTorque raises a major cause for concern.

The Critic

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses.
On a related note, how important is the anti-spin rear differential option on a 4X4 truck?

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Yes stop/start can be turned off. It also starts if you use the climate control and the temp changes so that the A/C will run.

i have eTorque with 3.92 and figure it would be better using 4 WD or in the snow/off road.

not sure about the MPG difference in that they both will be bad with the 5.7L

mtbiker033

Reaction score
I have a Limited 5.7 no eTourque with 3.21 gears.

I just did a 120 mile round trip. I reset the economy after filling up before I left. I ended up back in my driveway with a 21.5 average. At 72 mph it was turning 1600rpm.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I opted for the hemi without etorque for the following reasons:
1. Long term owner
2. Even with the lifetime warranty (no longer available) the etorque is only covered for 8/80,000
3. New system with no history of reliability/serviceability (local shop repair/backyard mechanic)
4. One less "system" in vehicle and potential problem beyond my control and future cost.

The system sounds like a great idea and many are very happy with it's functionality particularly compared to other vehicles equipped with stop/start.

No empirical evidence but from reading this forum the MPG savings seems questionable. The design is for stop/start so it is limited to that application and gas savings.

My personal experience with the hemi is that the mpg is at the worst in cold weather with short local trips(10.28 to 11.8), some of which can be attributed to winter blend gas and 10% alcohol. On the highway I have several 23 mpg fill ups despite the EPA 21 rating. The 23 mpg is maintaining the speed limit, cruise control and no traffic.

My 2001 Dodge Ram SLT gets 8-9 mpg locally and at a steady 65 mph 14.75 highway (rated EPA 16).

I would be interested in mpg for a daily commuter in stop and go traffic for a Ram etorque equipped vehicle in the NYC metro area vs a non etorque. That to me would be the true test and benefit to etorque.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
X2 above. The earlier 19’s had some ET teething issues which are pretty much gone now. As far as mileage, I am one of the few who get the sticker, but barely. That’s not due to a miracle truck, I just am a grandpa and drive like one.
My son has the same trim, year, engine, gears and all and can’t get above 13/18 city/highway. I drove his, got my kind of gas mileage and well let‘s just say our feet do different things on the gas pedal...

Attachments

• 8A2CF07B-1C8A-4877-8280-012D99A713EC.jpeg
    8A2CF07B-1C8A-4877-8280-012D99A713EC.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 7913AF10-00E0-45E6-8A2D-D986B67E784D.jpeg
    7913AF10-00E0-45E6-8A2D-D986B67E784D.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 16

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you do city driving etorque will no doubt save you fuel, it's ultra smooth and seamless as well. I was waiting for the car wash the other day with the windows down and climate control off and Etorque kept the truck off for about 5-7 minutes.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you do city driving etorque will no doubt save you fuel, it's ultra smooth and seamless as well. I was waiting for the car wash the other day with the windows down and climate control off and Etorque kept the truck off for about 5-7 minutes.
That is a big advantage right there... stoplights as well.

landk00

Reaction score
If have AC on and stopped at a light will the engine shut off, wondering on both eTorque and non-eTorque 5.7 engines?

Users who are viewing this thread