5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drivers side Sun Visor broken

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First it broke and was replaced and now my visor is loose and wont stay where its put. It swings around if you make a turn and whacks you in the head. What a ****ty design. I am going to take this thing back for a second repair/replacement.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer yesterday and they ordered a new visor for me. I also had a problem with not being able to fill my gas tank at full speed. The gas nozzle will shut off maybe 10 times from an empty tank even if you run it at a reduced rate. The dealer said most likely its the sensor in the tank and it cant be adjusted so they ordered me a new tank. The tank is part of the 7/70k warranty so no cost for that. The parts should be in next week.

Robsocal310

Reaction score
Mine just broke yesterday, Im waiting for the dealer to call me back and get it replaced. It broke while I was in the middle of a long drive.

Robsocal310

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer yesterday and they ordered a new visor for me. I also had a problem with not being able to fill my gas tank at full speed. The gas nozzle will shut off maybe 10 times from an empty tank even if you run it at a reduced rate. The dealer said most likely its the sensor in the tank and it cant be adjusted so they ordered me a new tank. The tank is part of the 7/70k warranty so no cost for that. The parts should be in next week.
I had the same thing happen a few months back. The nozzle would click every 3-4 seconds. They replaced the tank on mine as well, the dealer said its the 3-4th time they've seen it at their dealership.

MDB

Reaction score
My broke over a month ago. My local deal says they're on backorder. They can't give me an ETA on it. In the meantime, the driver side visor is dangling in my face.
Definitely a safety issue.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My broke over a month ago. My local deal says they're on backorder. They can't give me an ETA on it. In the meantime, the driver side visor is dangling in my face.
Definitely a safety issue.
After I left the dealer I ran a few errands and while I was doing that the visor sagged and wouldn't stay lock in the up position. The post on the left side that supports the visor came out of the hole so after pulling over from having too much of my vision blocked I took a piece of note paper, wrapped it around the post and shoved it into the hole. It has stayed put since. I don't try to use the visor except to push the button for the garage door opener. They told me that the visor should be here in about 5 days so they weren't back ordered in my case.

pjz

Reaction score
I drilled a small hole in the mount and added a screw to hold it. It would stay up and flip down but couldn’t move it to the side. At least safe to drive temporarily.

bucktruck

Reaction score
2020 RAM 1500 Crew, 11,800mi. 1/20/22 Drivers side visor fell, only held by the electrical wires, blocking vision, during a VERY congested freeway run. Visor used maybe 6 or 7 times since purchase. Dealer replaced 2/7/22, said it was odd, but was aware. 4/5/22 13,200mi Passenger side fell off while flipping down, seldom any passengers so maybe used 2 or 3 times. Dealer ordered new visor. Seems to be an ongoing design / manufacturing issue that could result in a VERY SERIOUS accident!! I wonder just how many similar events have occurred or if this is recorded by RAM or any safety authority that may or should result in a safety recall?? I can say that when the drivers side fell, blocking my vision, it was a difficult situation trying to hold and reinstall the visor (tried 'ripping' it off but elect. cable held firm) while avoiding a lot of traffic, and if it had been my wife driving...Not sure what the outcome would've been?! Others may want to check or monitor any looseness including side to side 'free-swinging' as that was noticed prior to the passenger side falling out of the ceiling socket.

Attachments

• RAM Passenger Side Visor 4-5-22.jpg
    RAM Passenger Side Visor 4-5-22.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 61

2bigalow

Reaction score
Same issue here. Driver side visor was loose and would swing into my head while turning, eventually popping out of the mount directly into my line of sight. This is DEFINITLY a safety issue. Only 5700 miles on the odometer. And to top if off, my rear window started leaking after it's first dusting of snow. ugh.

Last edited:

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The visor is a design defect. Plastic where metal should be. Until they fix the design this will keep happening. If mine fails again my plan is to move the garage buttons to the A-pillar and replace the visor with the one that has no garage door openers on it. At least it will be lighter & if it breaks there's no longer any wires keeping it in the way.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
somebody know the partnumber of the black visor with garage door opener?

This is no longer available

so it seems this one now?

Cajuntec

Reaction score
So does the 2022 visor fit / look right on a 2019 Ram?

Not sure of the color of mine. Just got the truck on the 20th, and it was the first issue I noted. Mine isn’t black, although the rest of my interior is except for the headliner, visors and some upper trim pieces on the ceiling. More of a grayish color.

All the best,
Glenn

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My driver side visor also has broken. Has anyone used this part to fix?

Those are not the parts that broke on the two visors of mine that broke. What broke on mine were the plastic elbow. Once that elbow breaks the visor spins around like a damn propeller.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago i moved the drivers side sun visor to the left across the drivers door window and the plastic covering the bracket broke off. It must have gotten bound up somehow and just twisted right off. Once the plastic was gone the metal inside remained but visor was at that point kind of wobbly. I took it into the dealer today and they replaced the entire visor (with Garage opener on it). They couldn't just order the plastic part that broke. Seems a terrible waste of money to have to replace that under warranty.
This time the passenger side broke. I bought the Chinese version of the repair kit and installed it today. It works fine and was pretty easy to install with an extra pair of hands to help hold the visor while you get it all lined up to get the screws in.

Attachments

• IMG_7033.jpg
    IMG_7033.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7034.jpg
    IMG_7034.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread