5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver's side headlight accent light out

WholeQuestion

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any fix for my headlight being out. It comes on initially when i start the truck but soon goes out. I'm attaching a video to explain what I mean. You'll see it's the accent (LED?) light around the headlight on the driver's side. I plan on taking to the dealership next week but didn't know if there was a quick fix. Thanks in advance.

WQ

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like the headlight is damaged. Even when it turns on, It's only the upper portion. Unfortunately you will have to go to the dealer to address this issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any fix for my headlight being out. It comes on initially when i start the truck but soon goes out. I'm attaching a video to explain what I mean. You'll see it's the accent (LED?) light around the headlight on the driver's side. I plan on taking to the dealership next week but didn't know if there was a quick fix. Thanks in advance.

WQ

Hi @WholeQuestion - If you would be interested in an additional layer of support for your dealer visit, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

WholeQuestion

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer. Left it with them for a week and a half. They said the part was backordered and would be here next week. Went and picked up the truck. Told them to tell me when the part gets there. They said they had to replace the whole headlight.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Took it to the dealer. Left it with them for a week and a half. They said the part was backordered and would be here next week. Went and picked up the truck. Told them to tell me when the part gets there. They said they had to replace the whole headlight.
Thank you for keeping us in the loop. Yeah, it looked like a bad headlight assembly. Good thing they're taking good care of you.

dirtydog24

Reaction score
Hello,

WQ

Could you please let us know if there is a difference in brightness after they replace your headlight. I’m curious if both headlights would have to be replaced if just one were bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WholeQuestion

Reaction score
Will do. I thought about that earlier, but since they're LEDs, that shouldn't be an issue since LED diodes don't typically dim, they just go out when their lifespan is up. But I will definitely check that when they get done with it.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Actually as years go by diodes will degrade and will emit less light (fractionally). But, with how new these trucks are you won't notice a difference.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi @WholeQuestion - Should your dealer experience a delay or if you are in need of any additional support while working with them, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via private message!

Mark
RamCares

Reverse

Reaction score
Happened to my passenger-side headlight. Replaced under warranty.

WholeQuestion

Reaction score
Dealer got it done Wednesday. Light seems to be the same brightness as the passenger side. I need to do some adjustment to the beam height but other than that, it's great.

dirtydog24

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Dealer got it done Wednesday. Light seems to be the same brightness as the passenger side. I need to do some adjustment to the beam height but other than that, it's great.
Wait a minute. YOU need to do some adjustment to the beam height? Are you saying the dealer didnt adjust it after the install? That is such basic knowledge about a headlight. Where do these mechanics get their training? Trump University?

WholeQuestion

Reaction score
Honestly man, it was so easy that it didn't bother me to do. Literally a 30 second fix. I don't fault the dealer for that tbh.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Honestly man, it was so easy that it didn't bother me to do. Literally a 30 second fix. I don't fault the dealer for that tbh.
I can appreciate the first two sentences. The third not so much, no offense. The dealer should have done this to factory specs IMO.

How did you know what height to adjust to? I think factory settings has them at different heights. The left one is slightly lower so as not to shine in the eyes so much of oncoming traffic. It is kind of a dual lobe where the left lobe doesn't reach as far out as the right lobe.

WholeQuestion

Reaction score
I can appreciate the first two sentences. The third not so much, no offense. The dealer should have done this to factory specs IMO.

How did you know what height to adjust to? I think factory settings has them at different heights. The left one is slightly lower so as not to shine in the eyes so much of oncoming traffic. It is kind of a dual lobe where the left lobe doesn't reach as far out as the right lobe.

No offense taken. I have retrofitted several sets of bixenon and quad bixenon headlights so I'm pretty familiar with how to aim and adjust them. In order for the dealer to do this properly, they would have had to take it to somewhere level and dark so they could park 25' away and adjust them properly.

Typically, the way that you measure them is by making sure your vehicle is level. Park close to a wall and put masking tape on the wall where the center of the low beam headlight is. The way that I do this is by measuring from the ground to the center of the low beam housing. After taping the wall, I drive 25 feet away from the wall (some say more, some say less). Aim your headlights and the top of the cut off line should be at that level that you previously marked.

You're not wrong about the left (driver's side) headlight needing to be lower than the right. However, if you know the right one is set by the factory still, you can align the cut off lines so they are adjusted relatively close to where they should've been from the factory. Also the height that you previously marked will serve as a guide.

Also fwiw, I've had to adjust lights on lights from the factory also. Cars with higher end projector housings such as TLs, TSXs, and FXs.

I'm pretty particular about the way my headlights are adjusted. Probably moreso than a tech at a dealership.

I'm attaching a picture that someone did an FX-r retrofit for reference about the cut off lines being aligned in the middle but lower on the left.

1592481819696.png

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
No offense taken. I have retrofitted several sets of bixenon and quad bixenon headlights so I'm pretty familiar with how to aim and adjust them. In order for the dealer to do this properly, they would have had to take it to somewhere level and dark so they could park 25' away and adjust them properly.

Typically, the way that you measure them is by making sure your vehicle is level. Park close to a wall and put masking tape on the wall where the center of the low beam headlight is. The way that I do this is by measuring from the ground to the center of the low beam housing. After taping the wall, I drive 25 feet away from the wall (some say more, some say less). Aim your headlights and the top of the cut off line should be at that level that you previously marked.

You're not wrong about the left (driver's side) headlight needing to be lower than the right. However, if you know the right one is set by the factory still, you can align the cut off lines so they are adjusted relatively close to where they should've been from the factory. Also the height that you previously marked will serve as a guide.

Also fwiw, I've had to adjust lights on lights from the factory also. Cars with higher end projector housings such as TLs, TSXs, and FXs.

I'm pretty particular about the way my headlights are adjusted. Probably moreso than a tech at a dealership.

I'm attaching a picture that someone did an FX-r retrofit for reference about the cut off lines being aligned in the middle but lower on the left.

View attachment 59411
Well thank you very much for all that info. Not for one instant was I questioning your capabilities and I am sure you did a better job than the dealer could ever do!! It is a bit disillusioning that when a dealer replaces a headlight, that they are incapable of doing the job right.

I have owned BMWs since 2000 and most have had the steerable bi-xenon lights. On one of them, a 330ci coupe, I hated the way the left one was aimed so much lower than the right. It was really noticeable driving at night, so I did adjust it up in my garage while shining the lights on the wall (low beam with shutter down). It was really easy to see the lines like in your picture. It was greatly improved for me afterwards, and no one ever flashed my from the opposite direction like they were being blinded.

One thing I really like about the BMW lights is the dynamic leveling they do so as not to shine in the eyes of oncoming vehicles no matter what the terrain is like. I don't think our Ram's have that feature.

Users who are viewing this thread