5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver Side Creak- Inside- Video

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No Pano on mine, The noise sounds like its something behind the drives side dash panels but not the panels themselves. i usually have the music pretty loud and don't notice it but its just like the video 1cord posted. At first I thought it was the brake pedal lever but after this morning I don't think it is.

1Cord

Reaction score
Do all of you have the pano roof? I only ask because I had a rattle after I reinstalled the passenger drain tube grommet. I pushed the tube too far out and it was tapping the bed. And it sounded like it was coming from everywhere because sounds travels.

I know could be stupid just a suggestion because I had something very similar

I don't! But thank you for the help.

marcd118

Reaction score
Speaking of squeaks, my center arm rest makes a ton of noise when I put my arm on it and hit bumps in the road. Its sounds like the leather is rubbing agains the backside. Anyone else have this problem with the center console?

Rob

Reaction score
Yes my did the same thing. New console lid was installed by the dealer

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of squeaks, my center arm rest makes a ton of noise when I put my arm on it and hit bumps in the road. Its sounds like the leather is rubbing agains the backside. Anyone else have this problem with the center console?
Oh yeah. I know.. I have it. I have fixed my clunk, a tweet grill rattle, a rear window rattle and this is next to fix.

marcd118

Reaction score
I tried to take some things apart but it looks like I would have to gain access behind the gauge cluster which im not sure what is involved to take it apart.

1Cord

Reaction score
Update... It was pretty cold here in Colorado yesterday morning and the noise seems worse. I was headed to the gym and noticed every time I turned right, the noise was amplified. I'm now 75% certain this is coming from the steering rack. Check it out-

marcd118

Reaction score
Thanks for the video, mine sounds just like that but doesnt matter if I turn my steering wheel or not. Its driving me crazy.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update... It was pretty cold here in Colorado yesterday morning and the noise seems worse. I was headed to the gym and noticed every time I turned right, the noise was amplified. I'm now 75% certain this is coming from the steering rack. Check it out-

I got my scope out to try and track down the creak. Drove all over the place and couldn't get it to make a noise. It was 52 degrees this morning and not a single creak the whole drive to work.

I'd say yours is bad enough I would just take it to the dealer and tell them to find it and fix it. Mine is to intermittent I got 2000 miles on the odometer from the video it looks like you're at about 1500. When you say steering rack, do you mean the column? or do you think its the actual steering rack which is mounted to the front of the frame behind the front bumper?

1Cord

Reaction score
I got my scope out to try and track down the creak. Drove all over the place and couldn't get it to make a noise. It was 52 degrees this morning and not a single creak the whole drive to work.

I'd say yours is bad enough I would just take it to the dealer and tell them to find it and fix it. Mine is to intermittent I got 2000 miles on the odometer from the video it looks like you're at about 1500. When you say steering rack, do you mean the column? or do you think its the actual steering rack which is mounted to the front of the frame behind the front bumper?

I dropped it off this morning as i have two other issues (glove box light wont turn off and a clunk when i turn). I guess its probably the column. I just want it fixed!! I'll update you once i get it back. Thanks for the help!

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried to take some things apart but it looks like I would have to gain access behind the gauge cluster which im not sure what is involved to take it apart.
Typically to get the cluster out you have to start from the bottom and work your way up. Pull off the lower dash panel which usually hides screws for the panels in the middle then those come off to expose the screws for the gauge cluster. On the GM trucks the top dash piece of the dash above the instrument cluster is held on by pressure clips and just lifts with a little force. The ram might be the same I'd try to verify that before I just started tugging on it though.

RBRK

Reaction score
I have a creaking sound that sounds a lot like this but sounds like it's coming from the back drivers side door area. It also is worse when I turn right. I noticed it seems to be worse when it's cold in the morning.
I have this exact noise, just started as the weather cooled off, once left rear door or cab corner, only when turning right through dips that twist the body. Have you any more info on this? I’m going to try to find it in the next few days.

marcd118

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck getting this rattle fixed yet? Mine is getting worse and driving me nuts.

marcd118

Reaction score
It appears to be coming from the left side in the dash behind the gauge cluster.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As of this morning i have tracked down the noise to a general area. Need to locate the source, Going to do some further investigation tonight. @Rob was right on the money with his post. I believe the noise is coming from underneath the truck and using the bolted connection for the drivers seat to transmit the sound into the cab. because the noise is down low its reflecting and sounds like its coming from the dash. I've been carrying my scope in the truck for when and if the noise returned and mine was squeaking like an SOB this morning so I pulled over and grabbed the scope and tracked it down to the front seat bolts, but I think they are just functioning as transmitters not the source. My suspicion is that it's the front body mount bolts. I know it sounds strange but bear with me. Below is a link to another thread on this forum where guys are having an issue with a front end clunk that many have traced back to front body mount, apparently the bolts are a tad to long and make contact with floor pan, I think the squeak is metal on metal contact in the floor pan traveling through the connection point where the seat frame bolts to the floor board. If it was the seat itself you should be able to get it to make the noise while the truck is stationary by just bouncing around the seat with your body weight. It may not be the body mount but there is something below the floor board causing this issue. @Rob was correct in his suspicion of the source, it sure sounds like its coming from the dash until you have a mechanics stethoscope on and you realize it's not, that's why even though he took apart all his dash panels he never located the issue. I'm not saying this is everyones issue but if you want to check it out for yourself you can pick up a mechanics stethoscope on amazon for about 12 dollars. Great tool for any DIY guy to have in his tool box.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/front-end-clunk-while-turning.1003/page-35#post-44695

Users who are viewing this thread