5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DRIVER FOOT REST / DEAD PEDAL

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before I got my RAM, I drove a Wrangler with a six speed manual for 7 years. While I like the comfort of my RAM, I can never find a comfortable position for my left foot while driving. My wife's car has a driver foot rest which serves as a comfortable and natural position for my left foot; my RAM doesn't have anything like this. So I have a couple questions for the members here: Has anyone else experienced this problem of not finding a comfortable position for the left foot? Has anyone found an aftermarket foot rest that can be installed and that looks like it belongs and is comfortable?

rob989_69

Reaction score
It's interesting you mention this. I also had a Wrangler before my Ram and had a Dead Pedal for it for comfort. I don't find the need in the Ram personally.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before I got my RAM, I drove a Wrangler with a six speed manual for 7 years. While I like the comfort of my RAM, I can never find a comfortable position for my left foot while driving. My wife's car has a driver foot rest which serves as a comfortable and natural position for my left foot; my RAM doesn't have anything like this. So I have a couple questions for the members here: Has anyone else experienced this problem of not finding a comfortable position for the left foot? Has anyone found an aftermarket foot rest that can be installed and that looks like it belongs and is comfortable?
I actually prefer no footrest but that’s me. I find it to be uncomfortable in some cars.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Thought that was just my passing thought since this is the first non manual car I've ever owned.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain (discomfort, whatever word you wish to insert there) LOL

I had a dead pedal in my Cobra and I've missed it in any vehicle since .. I thought about seeing if I could add one .. it is nice if you are propping yourself up out the window while trying to make sure your tires don't rub on whatever you are driving too close to (or driving up onto a ramp or lift, etc.) .. that dead pedal would be perfect .. and it nice when on long drives as well.

Moparmad74

Reaction score
I think this is the first of many vehicles that I have not wanted to add some kind of a dead pedal. I always seem to be able to find a comfortable position in this truck.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I had the same thought. I feel like I can have my left foot flat, but not fully extended in comfort. My last vehicle had a dead pedal and it was great. I'm interested to see if anyone comes up with something.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I recalled this thread and paid attention yesterday while I was out on a long drive.

I rest my left foot flat on the floor, with my calf touching the edge of the seat. Basically the same position I rest my left foot when I'm not clutching in my Wrangler.

Maybe your legs are longer than mine or something.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I recalled this thread and paid attention yesterday while I was out on a long drive.

I rest my left foot flat on the floor, with my calf touching the edge of the seat. Basically the same position I rest my left foot when I'm not clutching in my Wrangler.

Maybe your legs are longer than mine or something.

Well, from your profile picture, I'd say so! :D

coderman

Reaction score
Count another vote for uncomfortable left-foot positioning in this truck. Combined with the large seat depth (I'm 6'0"), on long drives this thing can leave you constantly twisting and moving your left foot around with nothing to rest it on. All imported high-end vehicles that I've driven and owned at least, have a separate area off to the side for your left foot to rest.

trithumb

Reaction score
Build a little wooden one for yourself and gorilla glue it to the floorboards. It will be great, trust me.. When you're done, send pictures.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Build a little wooden one for yourself and gorilla glue it to the floorboards. It will be great, trust me.. When you're done, send pictures.
I have been looking at mine for a place to bolt something in; there aren't a lot of options. Your Gorilla Glue suggestion might be all that would work.

trithumb

Reaction score
lol yep. I stopped driving stick about 3 years ago. I still press on the floor boards trying to start my truck every now and again. I feel your pain.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have been looking at mine for a place to bolt something in; there aren't a lot of options. Your Gorilla Glue suggestion might be all that would work.
Gorilla Glue is forever. If you ever decide to lower it or change the angle or anything, you're SOL. I'd suggest some double-sided foam tape. If it's placed on a clean surface and given a couple days to bond, it's pretty solid.

trithumb

Reaction score
Gorilla Glue is forever. If you ever decide to lower it or change the angle or anything, you're SOL. I'd suggest some double-sided foam tape. If it's placed on a clean surface and given a couple days to bond, it's pretty solid.
You do realize I was joking right? common hahaha.

coderman

Reaction score
I managed to come up with a solution to my RAm woes this weekend. Bought a 2020 Ford Raptor lol buh bye Chrysler. Reminded 20 years later why my family always said “if you want dependability and quality, don’t buy a Chrysler”. Sadly still true today.

Rossum

Reaction score
Bought a 2020 Ford Raptor lol buh bye Chrysler.
Cool story, bro. But not helpful to those of us who like most everything else about our trucks and are just looking for a foot rest / dead pedal.

I'm hard pressed to believe that now, with DT trucks in their 3rd model year, the aftermarket hasn't come up with anything? I'd happily spend $100 for something that was decent, but I can't find anything, so I guess I'll start with a hunk of 4x4 and play wood-butcher.

mophead

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Very flat and angled away floorboard, no place to rest your foot except on the heel. Never fixed it because I ended up in another vehicle. There was a good thread on Jeep Garage for installing one. Here's the one I was going to install. There are others designed for this that are simple bolt ins.

Dodge Durango Dead Pedal Footrest Cover suit 2011-on to match Mopar SRT Pedals | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread