5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Driver AC smells funky

Travisks

Reaction score
So my girlfriend thought I was crazy because I kept smelling some odor come from the driver side vents. Turns out it's only coming through driver side and passenger side doesnt smell like anything.
I only notice it when I turn the compressor off and just run the fan or heat, its driving me insane..

Anyone else coming have this or anything similar?
2019 Crew Cab Laramie, thanks!

KcRay

Reaction score
don't know why one side would smell and not the other, but try a new cabin air filter. Had a Tacoma that started smelling like "wet socks". New filter solved it.

Travisks

Reaction score
Yeah, first thing I did was change the filter but it still comes through. I poked around on forums and I couldn't find anything that checked out and could be compared. Guess the next step is to run ozone treatment and let it kill whatever is in there.
Thanks

T

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, first thing I did was change the filter but it still comes through. I poked around on forums and I couldn't find anything that checked out and could be compared. Guess the next step is to run ozone treatment and let it kill whatever is in there.
Thanks

T
A couple of questions- Do you live in a warmer climate and have to run A/C quite a bit and only sparingly use heat or fan? What's the average time you run the system in recirc?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So my girlfriend thought I was crazy because I kept smelling some odor come from the driver side vents. Turns out it's only coming through driver side and passenger side doesnt smell like anything.
I only notice it when I turn the compressor off and just run the fan or heat, its driving me insane..

Sorry to hear you are having trouble, @Travisks! Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM if this is something you decide to address with your dealer and any additional support is needed.

Mark
RamCares

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have started having the same complaint .. we thought they meant the passenger side (which has the Cabin Air Filter), but they swore it was the Driver's side and the vent .. we tore into one vehicle and it had slight mold growing .. they didn't know they had the famous water leak and it was evident. I make sure I check my rig after a large rain or after a car wash and dry it out the best I can until I get it into the shop for the leak.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Smells like that can also be associated with the AC drain tube being blocked. If it is blocked you can get under the truck and use a coat hanger to clear the blockage. When you run the AC in warm/hot weather it should create a fairly strong flow of water dripping on the ground. If you are not seeing this after running the AC for 30 minutes or so then you may have a blocked drain.

RamCares

Reaction score
We have started having the same complaint .. we thought they meant the passenger side (which has the Cabin Air Filter), but they swore it was the Driver's side and the vent .. we tore into one vehicle and it had slight mold growing .. they didn't know they had the famous water leak and it was evident. I make sure I check my rig after a large rain or after a car wash and dry it out the best I can until I get it into the shop for the leak.

Let us know when you have a chance to work with your dealer on this, we are more than happy to provide you with the additional layer of support if you need it!

Mark
RamCares

Travisks

Reaction score
I live in SC do the weather goes back and forth I'll check to see if water comes out after I run it here soon but I never paid attention to it. The smell usually comes on pretty fast after it runs for a few minutes. Thanks for all the replies

Calsun

Reaction score
An excellent odor remover is Fabreze. I had a mouse build a nest in my truck and the smell in the cab was terrible. I bought a small spray bottle of Fabreze and sprayed the engine compartment and inside the ducts and the cab carpeting and the smell was gone completely.

Scram1500

Reaction score
You need a can of Frigi Fresh. Spray some into the intake vent behind the glove box while the AC is on and the fan is blowing

ProAktion

Reaction score
I have this nasty smell now as well. I have a 2020 Rebel with 5k miles. Just used the AC for the first time. Noe the smell is there. Highly doubt it is a clogged drain being so new.

QUESTION:
Have any of yall actually had a smelly cabin air filter when you checked it?

79hotwheels

Reaction score

Did you ever find a solution for this issue. I have the EXACT same senario in my 2015 RAM 2500. I don't think this is limited to just 5th gen Rams

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I checked my cabin air filter and it wasnt even that dirty and had no smell at all

Users who are viewing this thread