5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downshifting issues potentiall or normal?

JRadford43

Reaction score
I placed this as a question mainly because I'm not really sure if this is an issue or normal.

When coasting(foot off gas and brake) coming down from let's say 7th gear the truck will get down to the bottom of each gear and struggle to downshift causing the truck to shake a little, then itll downshift. Right after it downshifts the truck is smooth again then gets rough at the base of the next gear.

The main issue though that might or might not be right is when I'm coasting and my foot is off the gas and brake, the truck gets down to 4th gear but wont ever shift down any further. It feels like it bounces at the base of the 4th gear and makes the truck ride rough. Almost gives the truck a feeling like its stalling in 4th gear. But it refuses to downshift until I put my foot on the brake and right when I come to a stop itll finally downshift.

It's really only annoying when coasting down a street and kind of an unenjoyable ride in interstate traffic. I guess my question is, is this normal for the truck or am I looking at a potential transmission issue?

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only time I feel a shake is when I cross R/R tracks, or the volume on the HK is +25. Something is amiss, sir.

jkm312

Reaction score
Sounds like your transmission is not getting the correct information from your wheel speed sensor's. Needs to be checked out and reprogrammed.

JRadford43

Reaction score
Guess I do need to get this checked out then. There are a few other issues with the truck as well but at this point I didnt know if I was just over reacting to everything that I feel. Hopefully the dealer can get these issues sorted.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Guess I do need to get this checked out then. There are a few other issues with the truck as well but at this point I didnt know if I was just over reacting to everything that I feel. Hopefully the dealer can get these issues sorted.

Hi JRadford43,
Please feel free to keep us updated on your dealer appointment. If additional assistance is needed, send our team a private message!
Alex
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread