5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downgrading from 12 inch UConnect 5?

nimbus

Reaction score
I know this is probably a ridiculous idea, but has anyone ever downgraded their truck from the 12" to the 8.4" UConnect 5? I've been very disappointed in the resolution of the 12" screen and I miss having physical buttons to control the heated and ventilated seats. It seems like I'm always adjusting the volume or changing the station when my wife wants to adjust her heated seat and it's kinda frustrating that you can't do both at the same time.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of want physical buttons also (but I’m not downgrading). It should be the same as going up to 12” just in reverse, meaning if you follow the 12” upgrade thread’s parts list but substitute for the 8.4, then it should work.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is probably a ridiculous idea, but has anyone ever downgraded their truck from the 12" to the 8.4" UConnect 5? I've been very disappointed in the resolution of the 12" screen and I miss having physical buttons to control the heated and ventilated seats. It seems like I'm always adjusting the volume or changing the station when my wife wants to adjust her heated seat and it's kinda frustrating that you can't do both at the same time.
You can do that no problem. It’s ironically significantly more expensive going from 12” to 8.4” than it is for someone going from 8.4” to 12”.
You would need the 8.4” screen, the hvac controls bezel, the center dash for the 8.4 bezel, and AlfaOBD. You would also need to see if your dash harness includes the extra connector for the hvac controls, otherwise you need a custom adapter harness.

jws1982

Reaction score
Exact same boat here. Almost never use the physical AC controls. Almost always use the comfort controls. I wish the physical buttons were swapped on the 12”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Limited Legend

Reaction score
You can split the screen and have the buttons on the screen at all times.

mk2019ORP

Reaction score
I dom
I don’t know that anyone has figured out how to go from Uconnect4 to 5 or 5 to 4, otherwise I’d trade you my 8.4 NAV straight up.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

maybe some who went this way can sell you the parts to do what you want

Users who are viewing this thread