5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Down Shifting ?

clippedwings

Reaction score
What's the best way to down shift the 8 speed automatic? This will be my first truck with an auto. I have a Laramie on order. I currently have a RAM 3500 with a manual and e brake so down shifting is used all the time.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
automatics down shift, and up shift automatically. there is no engine brake that i know of on the 5.7 hemi with the Laramie trim.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone feel the engine braking/ downshifting on the E-torque seems more aggressive than the regular Hemi? This is my first half ton Hemi. I have driven other older regular Hemi’s but don’t have a lot of experience with them. Seems to me the regenerative braking of the E-torque is quite noticeable. A friend of mine who has a ‘15 Hemi noticed the braking in mine immediately the few times he has driven it. Any more experienced thoughts?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone feel the engine braking/ downshifting on the E-torque seems more aggressive than the regular Hemi? This is my first half ton Hemi. I have driven other older regular Hemi’s but don’t have a lot of experience with them. Seems to me the regenerative braking of the E-torque is quite noticeable. A friend of mine who has a ‘15 Hemi noticed the braking in mine immediately the few times he has driven it. Any more experienced thoughts?

This was my experience test driving, and why I chose regular Hemi instead of eTorque. People on here say you get used to it apparently. I just didn't like it at all.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was my experience test driving, and why I chose regular Hemi instead of eTorque. People on here say you get used to it apparently. I just didn't like it at all.
Yes, I could see not liking it if your not use to it. Myself, I like the aggressive braking. I was use to driving a 3500 diesel in which I always had the engine brake on so I guess I was use to it!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I could see not liking it if your not use to it. Myself, I like the aggressive braking. I was use to driving a 3500 diesel in which I always had the engine brake on so I guess I was use to it!
Yep, seems to be a common thought from people with experience like that. All in what you are used to. This is my first real truck, so I've never had that feeling before.

LaRamie

Reaction score
The eight speed seems to be much more sensitive than the older automatics. Used to be if you were hauling anything they were never in the gear they needed to be. I have yet to tow with ours but already impressed with the response on some steep inclines, much faster reaction to whether it needs to downshift and does very well coming down hill. I think you'll be happy with it.

clippedwings

Reaction score
I am hoping to get some compression braking from the Hemi. This will help when towing. I know it won't be as good as the e brake on the diesel.

Agitated

Reaction score
In tow/haul mode it will downshift and give you compression braking. Not what a large displacement diesel with really high compression will give you though. You cant compare a small displacement gasser with low compression to that and expect the same thing. You dont need compression braking for normal unloaded driving anyway. The gas engine has a throttle body which stops most airflow when closed anyway, so it’s all pretty much up to torque converter lockup at that point.

Yedi

Reaction score
The eight speed seems to be much more sensitive than the older automatics. Used to be if you were hauling anything they were never in the gear they needed to be. I have yet to tow with ours but already impressed with the response on some steep inclines, much faster reaction to whether it needs to downshift and does very well coming down hill. I think you'll be happy with it.

Very happy with the ETorque Braking, why wouldn't you want engine/regenerative braking? Im used to driving a stick, and always downshifted for engine braking, saves on the brakes. I actually had to make a point to use the brakes to get them to "seat" in being new, otherwise you'll find its only very light braking needed, and those babies really bite when you step on them.

Its a very solid feeling. I also noticed the downshifting while deccelerating, very impressed with it. Havent been this excited for a vehicle in a long time, really enjoy driving it

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very happy with the ETorque Braking, why wouldn't you want engine/regenerative braking? Im used to driving a stick, and always downshifted for engine braking, saves on the brakes. I actually had to make a point to use the brakes to get them to "seat" in being new, otherwise you'll find its only very light braking needed, and those babies really bite when you step on them.

Its a very solid feeling. I also noticed the downshifting while deccelerating, very impressed with it. Havent been this excited for a vehicle in a long time, really enjoy driving it
Agree, my diesel only had just over 50,000 miles on it when I traded but still had the original brake pads and they still looked new. Even with that heavy of a truck and occasional towing. Used the engine brake 100% of the time.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In tow/haul mode it will downshift and give you compression braking. Not what a large displacement diesel with really high compression will give you though. You cant compare a small displacement gasser with low compression to that and expect the same thing. You dont need compression braking for normal unloaded driving anyway. The gas engine has a throttle body which stops most airflow when closed anyway, so it’s all pretty much up to torque converter lockup at that point.
Diesels have poor engine braking contrary to what some might think. Gassers have a throttle plate that creates an airflow restriction. Diesels do not. The poster above was referring to an exhaust brake which isn't offered on most diesels. Big trucks have Jake Brakes which close valves to improve engine braking (and make a lot of noise). A diesel without external exhaust or Jake braking will easily over rev going downhill.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Ram HD with Cummins has had the exhaust brake standard for some time.

The only thing I miss about mine.

Going down hill, you tap your brakes at set speed...say 45 mph and it wont go over it.

It is an amazing asset.

And it was great for warming the truck up.

And it sounds cool

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ram HD with Cummins has had the exhaust brake standard for some time.

The only thing I miss about mine.

Going down hill, you tap your brakes at set speed...say 45 mph and it wont go over it.

It is an amazing asset.

And it was great for warming the truck up.

And it sounds cool
Does sound good. Had a 5” turbo back exhaust with 8” tip on my 6.7l, with engine brake on and high idle it whistled louder than a straight piped 6.0 power stroke. Kinda miss that sound! She was a beast!

Attachments

• 64E8A148-69A5-4ABD-8440-78857E8C9789.jpeg
    64E8A148-69A5-4ABD-8440-78857E8C9789.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 9B0CD4E9-29B9-4643-911A-BF2EC4AA42E4.jpeg
    9B0CD4E9-29B9-4643-911A-BF2EC4AA42E4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 92F33A50-210F-4455-BA92-85AC9004745E.jpeg
    92F33A50-210F-4455-BA92-85AC9004745E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

clippedwings

Reaction score
My 3500 that I am trading in has 160k on the original brake pads and was used to haul a 34 camper cross country. Combination weight 19 to 20k. Camper is gone now, so biggest trailer will be about 6k loaded. I will miss the manual trans and appreciate the info you guys are providing the auto.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The new auto issuitable, you will only miss the clutch and the pull.

The new automatic works so well in tow/haul mode. The auto in our 03 makes towing sick compared to the stick shift in my 99. But the 13 auto was a towing dream. Worked just how I make the V10 pull.

You will be impressed with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/