5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Door Lock Knob Thread Specs?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't found anything to replace the door lock knobs that bite. :( I'm prepared to get some delrin rod and turn my own if necessary. Does anyone know the thread specs for the lock rod?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Remove the knobs and plug them. A lot of us have done that.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There is a TSB on them. New design for the plastic "button" that is on the panel.
I just un-screwed them about three turns.
Waiting for the wife to fly in from Finland for the Christmas, I`ll let her test out my solution.
edit: Front door grommet retrofit. Bulletin # 23-039-21.

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is a TSB on them. New design for the plastic "button" that is on the panel.
I just un-screwed them about three turns.
Waiting for the wife to fly in from Finland for the Christmas, I`ll let her test out my solution.
edit: Front door grommet retrofit. Bulletin # 23-039-21.
Thanks for reply, but I have the TSB and my grommets are already the new design. Marginal improvement that doesn't cure the problem IMO. The sharp channel rings molded into the knobs have no reason for existence that I can see other than to tear flesh. They are below the door panel when locked, so you can't use them to grip the knob to pull it up. The only time you could grip them is when the door is unlocked and you can only push down. I think they need to be taller to be useful at all, and definitely need to *not* have sharp edges anywhere close to that surface. If I can't come up with something better, I'll have to go with the plugs.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I haven't found anything to replace the door lock knobs that bite. :( I'm prepared to get some delrin rod and turn my own if necessary. Does anyone know the thread specs for the lock rod?

These plugs from Ace Hardware work well.

20220725_194933.jpg

HemiDude

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, but I have the TSB and my grommets are already the new design. Marginal improvement that doesn't cure the problem IMO. The sharp channel rings molded into the knobs have no reason for existence that I can see other than to tear flesh. They are below the door panel when locked, so you can't use them to grip the knob to pull it up. The only time you could grip them is when the door is unlocked and you can only push down. I think they need to be taller to be useful at all, and definitely need to *not* have sharp edges anywhere close to that surface. If I can't come up with something better, I'll have to go with the plugs.
I was originally looking for black knobs bc I didn't like the silver ones that came with my Night Edition ( :rolleyes: ). I couldn't find any good replacements either, and ended up removing the knobs and plugging the holes. I think it looks better, really cleans up the door panel.

IMG_7288.JPG

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was originally looking for black knobs bc I didn't like the silver ones that came with my Night Edition ( :rolleyes: ). I couldn't find any good replacements either, and ended up removing the knobs and plugging the holes. I think it looks better, really cleans up the door panel.

View attachment 143993
Where did you find plugs

HemiDude

Reaction score
Hopefully you didn't spend too much. The 3/8" plugs I bought at Ace Hardware were 40¢ a piece.
Yeah, no reason to pay up for a set of you only need a couple. I always seem to be looking for fasteners like that , and I'm sure the set I bought wasn't pricey, so it made sense for me.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, no reason to pay up for a set of you only need a couple. I always seem to be looking for fasteners like that , and I'm sure the set I bought wasn't pricey, so it made sense for me.
Oh, I'll cancel it and find cheap ones. Are they 3/8" for sure?

I think I'm going to take the grommet out too so it is just flush and not two layers. Anyone have a measurement for the hole without the grommet?

Last edited:

HemiDude

Reaction score
Does the grommet hold the door panel material in place there?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Oh, I'll cancel it and find cheap ones. Are they 3/8" for sure?

I think I'm going to take the grommet out too so it is just flush and not two layers. Anyone have a measurement for the hole without the grommet?

Yes, 3/8" fits nice and tight.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thye are not knobs as the 60's and 70's cars for locking and unlocking the doors. Today, they are merely indicators to see if the doors are locked or not.

Users who are viewing this thread