5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't see many crewcab with 6'4" bed

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my opinion, the RAM is the only good looking, short bed crew cab out there. The Fords, and especially the GM's, look really goofy... too asymmetrical. Short bed works for me cause it's my daily driver and I don't use it for work or anything like that. I also have a 94 F150 long bed when I need the extra bed space.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
In my opinion, the RAM is the only good looking, short bed crew cab out there. The Fords, and especially the GM's, look really goofy... too asymmetrical. Short bed works for me cause it's my daily driver and I don't use it for work or anything like that. I also have a 94 F150 long bed when I need the extra bed space.
Same here. Even when I had to carry 8' pieces of 2x10s a few weeks ago for my son's Eagle project, it worked fine with the tailgate open and ratchet straps. The day before I carried almost 1,000 lbs of mulch for the same project. Loving how practical it is.

ptrnfan

Reaction score
@moosem I had a 2017 1500 CC with the 5' 7" bed and thought at certain angles it looked a little too short for the truck. When I saw that they added 4" to the cab I thought the short bed would look even less proportional. However, I think they made the new bed slightly wider at the cab and with the increase in the bed depth it looks better than I expected. I still got the 6' 4" bed because I think it looks more proportional and I like the extra capacity but both look good. They did a great job on the design.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@moosem I had a 2015 1500 CC with the 5' 7" bed and thought at certain angles it looked a little too short for the truck. When I saw that they added 4" to the cab I thought the short bed would look even less proportional. However, I think they made the new bed slightly wider at the cab and with the increase in the bed depth it looks better than I expected. I still got the 6' 4" bed because I think it looks more proportional and I like the extra capacity but both look good. They did a great job on the design.
I agree, the taller box does make a difference. I would guess that 75% are short beds because most people don’t actually use them as “trucks”, but rather as every day drivers with a large trunk! Pick up something at Home Depot occasionally, take the lawnmower to get serviced, etc. I also think they’re much easier to drive. Takes some skill to drive the big-boy!

alow

Reaction score
I think this is spot on. If you actually use it as a truck then a larger bed makes sense. Nothing against folks who dont but I pop my cover and fill the bed to capacity probably twice a month. I've had lots of larger items barely fit so I cant imagine a shorter bed. I do however park outside. The larger cab is why I stayed in a 1500 vs looking at a megacab as well. Its a really nice family hauler on trips. I do get to tour more gas stations then when driving the wifes car though.

alow

Reaction score
Cven, I see you got it in the only proper color for a CC 6'4 bed :)

Rob3989

Reaction score
Crew with a 6ft. 5 is too short if ya ask me.

Attachments

• 2E2AD4DC-61F9-4BCC-86BF-1BEE8D49971D.jpeg
    2E2AD4DC-61F9-4BCC-86BF-1BEE8D49971D.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 61

CompuDav

Reaction score
I’m shocked to see this thread. Was looking more at short beds but here in Washington the inventory was mostly 6’4”s. Dealer commented though that the 8’ ones are brutal to sell.

I originally wanted the shorter bed but now like both the look and utility of the slightly longer bed.

Atretes1

Reaction score
Does anyone know measurements of a Laramie Crew cab bumber to bumper with the 5.7 and 6.4 bed.

mike12193

Reaction score
Her is mine.

5a03bbe669e806f947d6d968f52681e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2wd

Reaction score
I need the maneuverability of the short bed. I use the truck for home projects, firewood hauls, vacations, but also work road trips, office visits (parking garages), city driving, etc.

When I need extra room I've had lots of success tailgate down with tie down straps.

When that's still not enough, I have a utility trailer.

If I had a second car, and the truck didn't have to be a swiss army knife vehicle, I'd probably get a longbed (HD truck).

ClancyO

Reaction score
Opinions and belly buttons... A 6'4" bed was an absolute had to have for me - I couldn't consider a 5'7" regardless. The diffrence between a 5'7" & 6'4" - 9 INCHES. (8.9 in the official literature). The ONLY time those 9 inches are going to matter is when they are NOT there. I've had my truck a month as of today, but I've carried plywood twice and sheetrock once. (more sheetrock needed soon!) And I write code for a living.

The Ford/Chevy/GMC crew cab 'long beds' don't look as good to me as the Ram with the 6'4" - their proportions seem to favor the shorter beds. But I think the ram looks good either way - in fact, until I told my wife what to look for she couldn't see the difference between the 5'7" and 6'4"..

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I was initially not very happy with having bought one with the 6.4' bed, when I got it home. The 5.7' version I wanted to check out, had just sold before I got to the dealership, and this was the only similarly equipped black crew cab they still had. I got a killer deal on it, and after actually using the bed, I am 110% glad I got the longer version.

Attachments

• 52654489_398424110935250_3520955975274070016_n.jpg
    52654489_398424110935250_3520955975274070016_n.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 89

Eric s

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I was initially not very happy with having bought one with the 6.4' bed, when I got it home. The 5.7' version I wanted to check out, had just sold before I got to the dealership, and this was the only similarly equipped black crew cab they still had. I got a killer deal on it, and after actually using the bed, I am 110% glad I got the longer version.
I have a black 2019 limited and have the long bed I think it looks much better proportioned then the 5ft 7 inch one. Better towing stability better ride longer wheelbase more room for stuff a win win in my books. The short bed to me just looks weird all cab with a after thought attached to it lol. No offensive to anyone with the short bed opinions are like *******s everyone has one.

Users who are viewing this thread