5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't order from AmericanTrucks.com

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just figured I'd tell my story, so others perhaps avoid the frustration I've experienced. The title says it all.

I bought a non-new version of a tonneau cover that was supposed to be in "like new" condition (Pro X15), and only missing the c-clamps to hold the rails to the truck bed. I called before ordering and was assured by a representative that the description on the web site was correct. So I ordered the clamps from the manufacturer. Upon opening the box, there was a seal that was missing, another seal that was damaged, two cotter pins missing, and clear wear on portions of the canvas. It was far, far from "like new." Other used covers of this model at the time that were described as similar condition to what I actually received were selling under $200. I can't imagine how bad those ones actually were. I spent over an hour on the phone/chat, and American Trucks would only offer a $40 store credit. No partial refund. They would not budge on the amount or store credit. So I paid $323 for a cover that should have had a sales price under $200, and the company is requiring me to spend my $40 with them so they can make more profit. I was fortunate that the local place I bought the bed liner from had some extra seal material and cotter pins (they installed the cover for me free of charge after installing the liner - great service!). The cover is on and looks nice, the areas that show wear are not bad at all. But I don't like being lied to, and worse yet don't like it when the company shows they don't care about their mistake. American Trucks are scammers and liars who do not care about their customers at all.

Buy locally, or else RealTruck has been great the few times I've ordered from them.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Caveat emptor
from an open box item on their web site
All open box sales are final - roll the dice or another way it's a crrrraaaappp shoot.

U

User_3336

""So I paid $323 for a cover that should have had a sales price under $200".

You willingly paid $323 for the cover, then you stated it should have only been $200. Why did you pay $323 for it then?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
""So I paid $323 for a cover that should have had a sales price under $200".

You willingly paid $323 for the cover, then you stated it should have only been $200. Why did you pay $323 for it then?
He's saying that he paid the higher price based on it having a better condition than the other ones, which was based on the sellers description. The reality of it was that it turned out to be no better than the lower prices ones.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this as I have two coworkers whom we’re screwed over by these guys and wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. They also have extremely poor ratings and you’ll see there is no physical address anywhere in their website. They indicate Penn is their home location but have a return address in Lenexa, Kansas.

Also, reviews are in the toilet on sitejabber and trustpilot. The internet is like a big city at night in which there are safe neighborhoods and unsafe neighborhoods. Perform due diligence before ordering from these outfits as they are one of the dangerous neighborhoods on the Internet- including checking the BBB.

Last edited:

hydrant328

Reaction score
I used AutoAnything.com for my access tonneau and westin nerf bars. They matched then beat all other prices. I had a question on install and they walked me through everything.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just figured I'd tell my story, so others perhaps avoid the frustration I've experienced. The title says it all.

I bought a non-new version of a tonneau cover that was supposed to be in "like new" condition (Pro X15), and only missing the c-clamps to hold the rails to the truck bed. I called before ordering and was assured by a representative that the description on the web site was correct. So I ordered the clamps from the manufacturer. Upon opening the box, there was a seal that was missing, another seal that was damaged, two cotter pins missing, and clear wear on portions of the canvas. It was far, far from "like new." Other used covers of this model at the time that were described as similar condition to what I actually received were selling under $200. I can't imagine how bad those ones actually were. I spent over an hour on the phone/chat, and American Trucks would only offer a $40 store credit. No partial refund. They would not budge on the amount or store credit. So I paid $323 for a cover that should have had a sales price under $200, and the company is requiring me to spend my $40 with them so they can make more profit. I was fortunate that the local place I bought the bed liner from had some extra seal material and cotter pins (they installed the cover for me free of charge after installing the liner - great service!). The cover is on and looks nice, the areas that show wear are not bad at all. But I don't like being lied to, and worse yet don't like it when the company shows they don't care about their mistake. American Trucks are scammers and liars who do not care about their customers at all.

Buy locally, or else RealTruck has been great the few times I've ordered from them.
I'm sorry that you had this experience, but I appreciate that you took the time to come on here and warn us about them. I haven't ever bought from them, and thanks to your post I never will. Customer service is at least as important as the quality of the products I buy. In fact, great customer service can in some ways make up for lower quality control. If a company isn't willing to stand behind what they sell they won't get my business again.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of this as I have two coworkers whom we’re screwed over by these guys and wouldn’t recommend them to anyone. They also have extremely poor ratings and you’ll see there is no physical address anywhere in their website. They indicate Penn is their home location but have a return address in Lenexa, Kansas.

Also, reviews are in the toilet on sitejabber and trustpilot. The internet is like a big city at night in which there are safe neighborhoods and unsafe neighborhoods. Perform due diligence before ordering from these outfits as they are one of the dangerous neighborhoods on the Internet- including checking the BBB.

I learned about the bad reviews after the fact, and have added my experience on those sites in the last day. On the surface they seem reputable. They have a professional looking web site, they can mail catalogs of accessories for each popular make/type of truck, etc. Lesson learned.

I still came out ahead $210 or so vs buying a new one and IMO the condition defects are worth the money saved. You can hardly tell the wear marks unless you're looking close, and the seal the installer used should work OK for the one that was missing, and hopefully the other damaged seal will be OK with some stronger adhesive if the super glue the installer used doesn't hold.

I just don't like being lied to by the company before ordering. The reason I called before ordering to ensure the item description was correct was because of their no return policy on open box. And then their refusal to make any meaningful effort to make it right is next level BS. I'm just glad I didn't order more stuff from them, or take a chance on the items that were described in worse condition since the real condition of those probably makes them unusable.

U

User_3336

I've use realtruck.com, runningboardwarehouse.com, and tonneaucoversworld.com, and have had awesome experiences.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the cover you purchased is a Truxedo cover, right? If so, they will replace the cover material for life with photos and a description of the issue. I've been running the Lo-Pro covers since 2006 and have replaced the vinyl multiple times due to wear marks or wrinkles that won't come out after time.

TreyBobo

Reaction score
I used AutoAnything.com for my access tonneau and westin nerf bars. They matched then beat all other prices. I had a question on install and they walked me through everything.
I'm glad I found this because I'm in the midst of a return with AmericanTrucks for a damaged "perfect condition" BAKFlip and I was considering AutoAnything for the next purchase but their reviews are just as bad!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Contact your Credit Card and tell them the item is not as described and they are denying a return/refund.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve ordered a lot of stuff from autoanything over the years and had no issues. I’ve also ordered from American trucks a few times with no issues. But I’ve never ordered an open box item and never had to return anything so I really can’t speak to customer service. But I agree if I have bad customer experience with a company I move on and never come back

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm glad I found this because I'm in the midst of a return with AmericanTrucks for a damaged "perfect condition" BAKFlip and I was considering AutoAnything for the next purchase but their reviews are just as bad!
Try Luke at Truck Alterations, several people have purchased from him on the 5th Gen Ram Forum. He was very helpful and knowledgeable about covers when I was shopping but I ended up purchasing a DiamondBack cover so I have no personal buying experience. Best of luck.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ive used realtruck for several items and have been satisfied. One set of mudflaps was missing the paint protector film, and that took a couple of tries to get the right thing sent but otherwise no problems.

blazenlo

Reaction score
80% of my truck accessories have come from autoanything. Never one single issue.
And if you use the chat box on their website they will typically lower the cost of whatever you are purchasing.

8Nman

Reaction score
Bought a new Gator ETX from Amazon for $220 and rest of my add-ons from Autoanything.
First cover was wrong and was taken care of promptly.
Do a little shopping to save yourself headache's and $$.
Even my dealer could not believe what a few of the items are available for.

Jim N

Reaction score
I've used autoanything several times. When I ordered the wrong back seat covers the exchanged it for the correct one no problem.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought a new Gator ETX from Amazon for $220 and rest of my add-ons from Autoanything.
First cover was wrong and was taken care of promptly.
Do a little shopping to save yourself headache's and $$.
Even my dealer could not believe what a few of the items are available for.
IMO the Gator brand tonneau covers are the best deal going. They are very nice quality and the price is unreal compared to the other name brands

Users who are viewing this thread