5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does your truck have hidden tail gate damper mounts too?

Possum

Reaction score
I was changing out the reverse bulbs and noticed this on the passenger side. It looks like it's a mount for a strut to dampen the tailgate.

92b5a1819403790a2d1209208000aa5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possum

Reaction score
Got some measurements. I'm wondering if there's a DeeZee strut we can buy to use. I like that it would be hidden and wouldn't cause damage if it popped off.

With the tailgate down, the distance between them is 9-3/8". The nub is 3/8" diameter. And I just realized I didn't write down the distance with the tailgate closed. I'll have to get back into it when I get some time

Possum

Reaction score
My truck came with a dampner.

Interesting. Mine's a 2500 and I saw some posts where guys had factory nubs on the left side of their tailgate and bought struts for them. So I wasn't expecting to find this hidden below the taillight.

snj1013

Reaction score
I've retrofitted the damper to my truck. Easy mod and does its job. Highly recommended.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I was changing out the reverse bulbs and noticed this on the passenger side. It looks like it's a mount for a strut to dampen the tailgate.

My tailgate is dampened as well.

Rick J

Reaction score
Here's the link to the Mopar Store for a tailgate dampner.
Here's a place you can buy it at a discount with free shipping. I've used them several times without issue.

B.Ras

Reaction score

Dee see sells a damper for the 2019 ram on amazon. Easy install.
I was changing out the reverse bulbs and noticed this on the passenger side. It looks like it's a mount for a strut to dampen

Possum

Reaction score
Dee see sells a damper for the 2019 ram on amazon. Easy install.

I ordered the 43302 but it was too long. Couldn't close the tailgate. Perhaps it fits the 1500 though.

Just wanted others to know that it will not fit the 2500

41magmag41

Reaction score
the upper trim levels come with them as a standard item. My 1500 didnt come with one but I picked it up on amazon for $49.00 and free shipping. Just be careful pulling the drivers side rear light out. If you dont gently withdraw the plastic pegs holding the light youll bugger them up and have to replace them at 1.29 a piece. Otherwise 10 min insulation.

B.Ras

Reaction score
I ordered the 43302 but it was too long. Couldn't close the tailgate. Perhaps it fits the 1500 though.

Just wanted others to know that it will not fit the 2500

Thanks. I did not know they are different. I have the 1500.

zdeckich

Reaction score
There shouldn't be a difference. When you installed it did you close the tailgate and then install it and push down on the shock? It should fit. I had to do it on mine when installing it.

41magmag41

Reaction score
Nope lowered the tail gate, pulled the light off, and snapped the dampener on the two pegs for it, reinstalled the light and shut the tail gate.

Possum

Reaction score
There shouldn't be a difference. When you installed it did you close the tailgate and then install it and push down on the shock? It should fit. I had to do it on mine when installing it.

On the 1500 it's under the driver's tail light, right?

On the 2500 it's on the passenger side. The instructions that came with the Dee Zee damper had a huge note that said it fits the 1500 only. I tried it anyway but it was too long.

zdeckich

Reaction score

On the 2500 it's on the passenger side. The instructions that came with the Dee Zee damper had a huge note that said it fits the 1500 only. I tried it anyway but it was too long.

Ahh, I didn't use the DeeZee damper. I used the Mopar one and yes its on the driver side on my 1500.

Klute

Reaction score
the upper trim levels come with them as a standard item. My 1500 didnt come with one but I picked it up on amazon for $49.00 and free shipping. Just be careful pulling the drivers side rear light out. If you dont gently withdraw the plastic pegs holding the light youll bugger them up and have to replace them at 1.29 a piece. Otherwise 10 min insulation.

Where did you find those plastic pegs?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That makes sense, I think, because if I recall correctly, the beds on the current HDs are still the Gen-4 design. The HDs got a "Gen-4.5" update, not the full-on Gen-5 update as did the 1500s.

Users who are viewing this thread