5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the 3.92 axle ratio change acceleration?

Matrixband

Reaction score
Does the 3.92 axle ratio (option) change acceleration? the 0-60 time? The way I understand (or maybe don't ) I would think it would if it changes gearing ratios to get more torque faster. Maybe this is just a towing feature? (Pardon my ignorance on this) One dealer lists many trucks with this option, and another dealer seems to have practically none with it. I might be better off ordering if it is an important feature. I am spoiled because my daily driver right now is a Chevrolet SS sedan: 6.2L LS3 V8 SS with cam and tune. It moves - and quick! Big trucks generally don't, though the 5.7 L Hemi does have the horsepower and moves the heavy truck admirably. I just wonder if I'd feel more at home with the 9.32.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went from two Ram 1500s with the 3.92 axle to my current with the 3.21. My seat-of-the-pants opinion is the 3.92 will be faster off the line, but at road speeds I actually think sometimes the 3.21 is faster for passing. You'll get wheelspin pretty easy with the 3.92. The difference utimately depends on your driving style, but the benefit of the 3.92 is for towing, and the benefit of the 3.21 will be fuel mileage. My current lifetime mileage with the 3.21 is 1.1 MPG better than my 2014 with the 3.92. Since my towing requirements have dropped to around 6900 pounds I find the 3.21 handles that weight very well.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 049073 miles.

Biz Jet Tech

Reaction score
Does the 3.92 axle ratio (option) change acceleration? the 0-60 time? The way I understand (or maybe don't ) I would think it would if it changes gearing ratios to get more torque faster. Maybe this is just a towing feature? (Pardon my ignorance on this) One dealer lists many trucks with this option, and another dealer seems to have practically none with it. I might be better off ordering if it is an important feature. I am spoiled because my daily driver right now is a Chevrolet SS sedan: 6.2L LS3 V8 SS with cam and tune. It moves - and quick! Big trucks generally don't, though the 5.7 L Hemi does have the horsepower and moves the heavy truck admirably. I just wonder if I'd feel more at home with the 9.32.

Simple one word answer - YES

Users who are viewing this thread