5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does rough country 2” level require anything else?

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I’m about to get a 2” level struts added to my 22 bighorn and I’m really not comfortable with the idea of not knowing if I need to add anything else.

They (dealership) will be doing an alignment as well but is there anything I need to be concerned about? Any help or tips about this would be greatly appreciated!

Velocity

Reaction score
Shouldn’t need anything else with a 2” level. I just did the Rough Country 2” loaded struts on mine a few weeks ago. After the alignment it’s good to go. If you don’t have the off-road package on your truck (1” lift all the way around) it might be a bit higher in the front than the rear, especially before the alignment and suspension settles. But it should settle to level or maybe slightly higher in the front. Mine has the off-road package and it has just a little bit of rake, a little less than an inch lower in the front.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m about to get a 2” level struts added to my 22 bighorn and I’m really not comfortable with the idea of not knowing if I need to add anything else.

They (dealership) will be doing an alignment as well but is there anything I need to be concerned about? Any help or tips about this would be greatly appreciated!
Easy answer…no.
Unless you want to go higher, which by then you’ll need a rear lift because you’re nose high now.
This kit simply replaces your front strut and springs with a taller spring and strut. Good luck!👍

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Shouldn’t need anything else with a 2” level. I just did the Rough Country 2” loaded struts on mine a few weeks ago. After the alignment it’s good to go. If you don’t have the off-road package on your truck (1” lift all the way around) it might be a bit higher in the front than the rear, especially before the alignment and suspension settles. But it should settle to level or maybe slightly higher in the front. Mine has the off-road package and it has just a little bit of rake, a little less than an inch lower in the front.

The kit raises the front end 2", so the rake will be the same, whether he has regular suspension or ORP.

utlong31

Reaction score
I’ve had it on my Laramie for roughly 6,000 miles now. Nothing else needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyrotik

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I thought I’d be level, not a bit higher in the front though. Don’t want to look like I’m squatting!

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I’ve had it on my Laramie for roughly 6,000 miles now. Nothing else needed.

Did you notice the front end feeling “looser” at all? My only main worry

Velocity

Reaction score
The kit raises the front end 2", so the rake will be the same, whether he has regular suspension or ORP.
The rear of the ORP has a 1” lift where the non orp does not. So the ORP is 1” higher in the rear making the rake more than the non ORP. Essentially you have a 2” front lift and a 1” rear lift if you have the ORP and install the 2” level.

Not sure if that makes any sense reading it back. Lol

First picture is a non ORP. Second picture is my truck with the ORP. The front of mine has actually settled a bit since that picture and is bit lower than in the picture, I’ll have to try to get an updated picture. DB1C253D-E099-4CF5-96AA-1BD52471FF49.jpeg 33A1832F-D86A-4447-8536-1E82F1E3546D.jpeg

Last edited:

Velocity

Reaction score
Mine didn’t feel “looser”, initially I thought it was stiffer. But I don’t feel like it is anymore. The ride is very similar to stock to me.

The struts are pretty equal in size to the ORP front strut really.

Attachments

• 662E0206-5D0E-4DE4-B7BA-05AB125102F4.jpeg
    662E0206-5D0E-4DE4-B7BA-05AB125102F4.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 62

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The rear of the ORP has a 1” lift where the non orp does not. So the ORP is 1” higher in the rear making the rake more than the non ORP. Essentially you have a 2” front lift and a 1” rear lift if you have the ORP and install the 2” level.

Not sure if that makes any sense reading it back. Lol

First picture is a non ORP.
Second picture is my truck with the ORP. View attachment 140363 View attachment 140364

The ORP doesn't have more rake, it's just 1" taller all the way around. They are both the same truck, but the ORP starts out 1" taller, front and back.

Velocity

Reaction score
The ORP doesn't have more rake, it's just 1" taller all the way around. They are both the same truck, but the ORP starts out 1" taller, front and back.
Agreed. From the factory, the rake is roughly 2” on either truck. But once you take out the 1” front strut and add a 2” strut you just decreased the factory rake. You’re only increasing the front lift on the ORP truck by roughly 1”. Essentially even on a non ORP truck but close to a 1” rake on an ORP truck because the rear is 1” higher than the non ORP truck.

Stock truck is: 0 front, 0 rear
ORP truck is: 1 front, 1 rear
Stock truck with 2” strut is: 2 front, 0 rear
ORP truck with 2” strut is: 2 front, 1 rear

c_bass16

Reaction score
I've got the 2" level on mine and am even running 35s on 18s with MINOR rubbing in winter when the cold makes the springs settle.

utlong31

Reaction score

Nothing loose at all. The only difference I can feel is there’s less travel so some big bumps can hit a little harder than stock but I drive mine on some very rough dirt and paved roads daily and haven’t had a problem.

dyoderii

Reaction score
Good Information - I had a 2019 non ORP. When I installed the RC struts the front was up well more than 2 inches but did settle a bit.
I now have an ORP and wondered if the same struts would be enough. The pictures help make that call.
I did notice last time I installed them the lower mounting "gap" was several millimeters wider than the lower arms mount width. When tightening the bolt, the mounting flanges pressed in but there was still a slight bit of lateral play.
Was I missing a part? Or are you supposed to use hulk power to bend the very thick metal? Or just leave them loose? (the last seems like a no to me)

1666380807566.png 1666380905518.png

Velocity

Reaction score
I don’t remember mine needing to be squeezed to make the lower mounts touch. It fit pretty tightly from what I can remember.

TDHawks

Reaction score
I have a 22 Laramie I am wanting to level. A shop in town uses the RC 2” strut. Pretty sure my truck does not have ORP, but I am a newbie so idk. With that being said, should I be g2g with an even rake with the RC even though it’s not self leveling?

Velocity

Reaction score
It should be level with the RC struts. On some trucks, from pictures I’ve seen, they look slightly higher in the front after the strut but it could be the angle they took the picture from. Mine is about 3/4” lower in the front after the RC struts, sits perfectly level when I pull my boat though so I’m happy with it like that. I have the ORP. ThIs a recent picture, the struts have been in the truck for about 4000 miles now.
FA2E426F-8576-465F-BB43-2E5D7FACF2C0.jpeg

ATC96

Reaction score
It should be level with the RC struts. On some trucks, from pictures I’ve seen, they look slightly higher in the front after the strut but it could be the angle they took the picture from. Mine is about 3/4” lower in the front after the RC struts, sits perfectly level when I pull my boat though so I’m happy with it like that. I have the ORP. ThIs a recent picture, the struts have been in the truck for about 4000 miles now.
View attachment 142763
Do you think its necessary for new upper control arms if you add the 2" RC struts on a Non-ORP 1500? I heard that the ball joints were bad after a certain height in 4th gen rams.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you think its necessary for new upper control arms if you add the 2" RC struts on a Non-ORP 1500? I heard that the ball joints were bad after a certain height in 4th gen rams.
You should be fine with just a 2" lift, no need for upper control arms.

Velocity

Reaction score
From what I’ve seen Manny is correct, mine are not at any crazy angles the way it’s set up now and I haven’t read about anyone having issues with just 2” levels.

Users who are viewing this thread