5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does RAM re-sell trucks they buy back?

Jennifromthadock

Reaction score
Yes I can confirm that you are correct, they can not legally sell it as new if it has been titled to a buyer before. If it stays in the name of the dealership and is used as a loaner, or promo vehicle then it can be sold as new. I don't really like it and it seems a bit shady since they're not really "new" but legally it is. This practice is common, as is the mileage you had when you bought it. It's also not uncommon for them to have a few minor signs of wear when they're sold like that because the people using them typically don't care to be careful with them since it's not their truck.

Here's a trade secret for you since we're on the topic of damage and things they can/can't do. Vehicles damaged prior to sale in the dealership lot (which happens A LOT) aren't documented as crashed or damaged. For example someone backs out of a parking space and caves in a fender on a new car. The dealership will have the repair made (typically by their own shop) and it goes unreported. It's not required to be so there's really no reason to. That's why you'll see new vehicles with overspray on areas that won't typically have it. Everything is still covered under the factory warranty, including the repair, so it's not something people ever really find out about or think to ask.

Trade secret number two. Check the underside of every new car/truck you buy. Some commercial carriers will put straps/chains in areas that may inadvertently contact stuff that can be bent. Typically not major issues, but look for little things like bent heat shields, tweaked exhaust pipe or other similar issues. Not major concerns and the dealer will fix it before you take delivery if you see it and call it out. Some will even fix it after you take delivery if you notice it soon enough and it's evident you didn't cause the damage.
Hi, super new here; but was Reading what you were writing about commercial haulers using straps and my truck has dents on the body a little itty-bitty ones one on the driver side just under the mirror and two itty-bitty ones on the passenger side just underneath the mirror which my first guess was it was strap down that’s a ratchet strap so your comment talking about the vehicle being strapped down what was it you were saying that indicated because I’m fairly certain that my truck was a buyback after 11,000 km in Pickering Ontario and that it was sold as new demo is what it said after 11,000 km that is a demo any longer and the sales lot guy told me it was a used vehicle with 11,000 km I just was so in love with the truck and the fact that I was able to buy it I didn’t really do my due diligence I guess but why should I as the consumer I have to be the one watching out and poking holes in whatever fraudulent story I’m being told I have a really bad feeling about this. I’m having multiple issues and they’re all really really strange it’s just like a total lemon and I’m wondering why would somebody custom buy the truck because it’s got all the bells and whistle‘s and then give it up after 11,000 km and it was definitely strapped down for transport to British Columbia sorry I’m using voice to text no punctuation please forgive me. I have this awful feeling that this is what happened to me and I’m going in next week to talk with the service manager and find out exactly what’s going on because I dropped a lot of money on this vehicle and it isn’t right it isn’t even close to right.
Thanks in advance

Jennifromthadock

Reaction score
I was just looking on the Carfax to see what it said about registration etc. It says it’s had more than one owner so how can my bill of sale say new demo did they sell me a car fraudulently as a new car is that what’s happening here I’ll upload a picture of my bill of sale next because it straight up says new demo but the Carfax report says first owner reported… new owner reported says… it was personal use etc. I’m attaching it here please tell me what you think the stuff that you’ve said in your comment has been some of the most valuable information that I’ve come across yet. I don’t really spend a lot of time delving into this and looking for information because I’m terrified about what’s going to go down and get a headache this is all going to be. I think you so much for your time I don’t really know about posting a new friend because I don’t really want anybody chiming in and that doesn’t really have knowledge or not I’m new to this forum but I find that in a lot of forms. So please forgive me if this is not something I’m allowed to do

One other fishy thing I asked for the Carfax report was told I was gonna get it and in fact this one that I have I paid for our pocket because I wanted to know what was up I’m so angry with the dealership yet I’ve heard such horror stories about women being treated like complete idiots and I’m just terrified that I’ll have a fast one pulled on me I don’t have anybody to help me or to go with so I’m trying to arm myself with as much knowledge to see what the right course of action is going to be so I can go in there with a demand and a plan

Attachments

• CARFAX Canada Vehicle History Reports.pdf
    393.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 43A95B2F-B5BE-4401-8DE7-929932F58D5B.jpeg
    43A95B2F-B5BE-4401-8DE7-929932F58D5B.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 12
  • CARFAX Canada Vehicle History Reports.pdf
    393.4 KB · Views: 2

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I was just looking on the Carfax to see what it said about registration etc. It says it’s had more than one owner so how can my bill of sale say new demo did they sell me a car fraudulently as a new car is that what’s happening here I’ll upload a picture of my bill of sale next because it straight up says new demo but the Carfax report says first owner reported… new owner reported says… it was personal use etc. I’m attaching it here please tell me what you think the stuff that you’ve said in your comment has been some of the most valuable information that I’ve come across yet. I don’t really spend a lot of time delving into this and looking for information because I’m terrified about what’s going to go down and get a headache this is all going to be. I think you so much for your time I don’t really know about posting a new friend because I don’t really want anybody chiming in and that doesn’t really have knowledge or not I’m new to this forum but I find that in a lot of forms. So please forgive me if this is not something I’m allowed to do

One other fishy thing I asked for the Carfax report was told I was gonna get it and in fact this one that I have I paid for our pocket because I wanted to know what was up I’m so angry with the dealership yet I’ve heard such horror stories about women being treated like complete idiots and I’m just terrified that I’ll have a fast one pulled on me I don’t have anybody to help me or to go with so I’m trying to arm myself with as much knowledge to see what the right course of action is going to be so I can go in there with a demand and a plan
canada plays by different rules
you might have to contact an attorney.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the very IDEA that a car dealer would do ANYTHING underhanded is preposterous! Car dealers are the most honest people in the world, they take a Federal Oath to be honest at all times, and some have even been nominated for Sainthood at the Vatican. No way they would ever try to sell a lemon back as new.....

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Voice to text definitely made it a bit challenging to read with the lack of punctuation, but I think I've got it.

Regarding the two small marks/dings under both mirrors. The symmetry does suggest it happened in transport, but it's not going to be from strapping it down. The straps will typically be a kind of ratchet strap type "nest" that goes over the top of the wheels and straps to the bed, or a chain hooked over a solid sub-structure (control arm, frame rail, etc). If there's small marks on the paint and/or sheet metal below the mirrors I would suspect some kind of tarp or sheeting laid over the truck in an attempt to protect it during transport. That is assuming it did occur then, but with 11,000+ km it could have happened after that too. Since the truck has a fair amount of miles on it, it's also possible someone had something tied to the truck causing the marks. Not likely that you'll be able to go after the dealership for those because there's not evidence that it's Dodge's fault.

As for the vehicle history.
Carfax reads a little differently here than it does in CND, so I ran one on my end too. It's attached, along with the window sticker. It sure looks like a used sale to me, but as bigdodge mentioned, Canada plays by different rules. I suppose it's possible dealerships there are required to register them when they're being used as demos, but I don't know for sure.
Vehicle history ↓↓↓
Nov 10, 2020 - It was delivered to Vaughn Chrysler Jeep Dodge. - 14 km
Feb 17, 2021 - First owner registered with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, as a personal vehicle.
Feb 26, 2021 - Predelivery inspection complete (by Vaughn Chrysler Jeep Dodge). - 19 km
June 22, 2021 - Oil changed at Great Canadian Oil Change in Concord ON. - 10,729 km
Aug 22, 2021 - Registration issued or renewed at Maple Ridge BC Motor Vehicle Department
Sept 7, 2021 - Registration issued or renewed at Langley BC Motor Vehicle Department

I'm assuming you purchased it in September 2021 since that was the last registration report.
I notice that in a 4 month span between Feb 2021 and June of 2021 the truck logged 10,710 km (6,654 miles for my Metric challenged American friends). That's a lot of driving and nearly double the average rate so whoever owned it was driving a lot.
From there, the next report is all the way across the country to B.C. where the registration is updated twice, and I assume sold to you. I highly doubt the dealership would move a vehicle all the way across the country to sell it, nor would they let someone drive it that far for a demo. This almost certainly has to be pre-owned.

As for why someone would sell/trade it so quickly. That doesn't strike me as odd based on the mileage and locations. Three possibilities that come to mind:
1. If someone is diving as much as that person did, its possible they replace their vehicles every year to keep themselves in warranty. At the rate they were driving that would probably be every other year at least, or maybe quicker in this case.
2. It's possible they grossly underestimated fuel consumption and driving a full size truck with a V8 that much was killing them in fuel costs. Maybe they sold it for something more efficient because even with MDS these 5.7L are very thirsty.
3. It's possible there was an unexpected life event where they couldn't keep the truck. People don't tend to move across the country too often so the fact that it went from ON to BC could mean they had to move and couldn't keep the truck.

There could be other reasons, of course, but those are off the top of my head. The early sale/trade doesn't seem too out of place for this particular truck. While it is nice and well optioned, it doesn't look like it was custom order (based on window sticker and Carfax). It think someone probably saw a nice truck on the lot and may have gotten in over their head.
I'd rest easy about the quick sale, but the whole "new" story from the dealer I'd have an issue with. I'd definitely call them on it, or at least ask for a better explanation.

I hope that helps.

Attachments

• 1C6SRFVT9MN552293_windowSticker.pdf
    77.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Vehicle History Report - CARFAX investigative.pdf
    620.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
In addition to Lemon buybacks, manufacturers do "goodwill" buybacks as well. I bought a vehicle like that many years ago. It said something like "manufacturer took possession" on the history report.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Once the buy-back is complete and the vehicle is resaleable the manufacturer is required by law to contact the state’s DOT and change the title to reflect its status as a "lemon law buyback" and off to auction it goes.

If it is not resealable, then the title is marked, again by law, as scraped and the vehicle goes to a disassembler where the parts are removed and reused in the aftermarket.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does Ram re-sell the trucks they buy back as lemons and is there a way to ID those trucks?

I am finding a few 2020 -2021 RAM 1500's on used car sites with 5K - 8K miles on average and it makes me wonder are these returns, buybacks, repossessions or ppl who just couldn't make the payments?

Yes, there's a dealer in AZ that sells a lot of FCA buybacks https://www.billluke.com/buyback/
They had 5 or 6 lemon/buyback hellcats at one point in early 2020, FCA bought them back and "convinces" dealers that sell a lot of cars to sell these

Edit, here's s few buybacks on their lot now

Last edited:

CanRebel

Reaction score
If the person who purchased it also lives in Vaughan, those KM's are not a lot.
Looks like it was sold to someone, as that dealer would have done the oil change themselves.

Technically Canada doesn't even have Lemon law, so that part doesn't matter.
If you have issues, you have seek arbitration with CAMVAP and it will take WAY longer then 5 months.

Might have case if the dealer claimed it was 'Demo', but I really doubt you'll get anywhere with that.

Quint

Reaction score
In 2019, my wife leased a 1yr old BMW that had about 4,300 miles on it. It was supposedly a dealer car. Either way, it has been trouble free except for the fact that it's a BMW and therefore requires it to coddled....like a "standard" brake fluid flush at 20,000 miles. WTF is that about?

rubrduk

Reaction score
Once the buy-back is complete and the vehicle is resaleable the manufacturer is required by law to contact the state’s DOT and change the title to reflect its status as a "lemon law buyback" and off to auction it goes.

If it is not resealable, then the title is marked, again by law, as scraped and the vehicle goes to a disassembler where the parts are removed and reused in the aftermarket.

Not all states have lemon/buyback branded titles...not all states have salvage titles either, it's surprisingly easy to accidentally buy a previous lemon vehicle in the used market.

One way to check is to look at the list of owners on the vehicle CarFax and see if the vehicle manufacture is ever listed as the owner of the vehicle.

AutoCheck.com

Users who are viewing this thread