5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Ram box with MFT drop payload a lot?

rtslab

Reaction score
I heard Ram box adds extra ~150lb and MFT adds extra ~100lb compared with regular tailgate w/o ram box. So two if equipped decreases total payload by ~250lb. For normal RAM 1500, typical payload is around 1500b. And ~250lb decrease would represent more than 15% payload cut. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A typical payload is about 1450 that is our running average

Limited 1300
Longhorn 1100
Laramie 1400
Rebel 1500
Bighorn 1600
Tradesman 1700

The RamBox is the single heaviest option. The MFT is running a close second.

We have a few trucks with these options that have less the 1000lb payloads.

You are about right on your figures.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Zeronet did a bunch of calculations to get option weights

He has the RamBox at 160 and the MFT at 120.

Some where near the shown post he lists the option weights

rtslab

Reaction score
@Zeronet did a bunch of calculations to get option weights

He has the RamBox at 160 and the MFT at 120.

Some where near the shown post he lists the option weights
Glad I did not choose Ram box or MFT which saves me 300lb payload. Thanks!

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMO if you are concerned about payload to the point you are tracking how much the options weigh you might want to consider a 2500.

It doesn't have the MFT or RAM Box options on there but here are the options weight list for the 2019 1500s...

Attachments

• 2019_DT_Option Weights.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 87

rtslab

Reaction score
IMO if you are concerned about payload to the point you are tracking how much the options weigh you might want to consider a 2500.

It doesn't have the MFT or RAM Box options on there but here are the options weight list for the 2019 1500s...
Most of people would agree 1500 has far better driving experience and convenience(not to mention price) with packed features than 2500 as a family truck for them who may not tow often or tow very heavy loads. 1500 with 1300lb payload should be able to handle 7000lb or under load just fine. For most of of people using half ton as family truck, that should meet their needs perfectly.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Prior to this I had a 2003 Ford F-250 diesel which was my everything truck for over 11 years. Not cheap and a rough ride for a daily driver but it did anything and everything I needed/wanted.

I don't have any need to tow or haul heavy any more so bumped down to a 1/2 ton. If I was concerned about weight (hauling and/or towing) and was deciding on options based on how many pounds they would add to the truck (and reduce payload/towing) I would be looking at a 2500 in my budget rather than a 1500.

It doesn't take a whole lot of options before GVWR becomes a concern if you've got a family, gear, supplies, and tongue weight you're taking into consideration.

My payload is 1426 lbs. If I do a weekend jaunt somewhere that's me (I'm not light), my wife, two kids, and two dogs...roughly 700 lbs or a little more. That leaves me about 700 lbs for supplies/gear and the tongue weight of a trailer. Not a problem for supplies and gear but leaves me little room for tongue weight (roughly 10-15% of trailer weight). There's no way I can get close to the 8100 lb towing capacity if I want to stay on the safe/legal side of things. Obviously not everyone has as many family members or pets so are not in the same boat as I am.

There's more than one thread on here about someone believing the salesman who goes strictly by towing capacity. When you start breaking down the payload numbers and looking at GVWR and GCWR numbers you may exceed what you want/need your truck for.

Users who are viewing this thread