5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does hitch type affect towing capacity

Ted wilson

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 2500 limited crew cab
With the diesel engine.

I am trying to get the tow capacity.
I have seen one table that listed a dead tow capacity, distributed hitch capacity. And goosneck capacity.

I have a 2-1/2 tow bar with 2-5/16 ball rated at 21,000 pounds.

So i know that the bar and ball can take the weight.

I do have a distribution hitch as well but line the adjustable height of the other hitch.

So what tow capacity do i have on a dead weight ball?

What if i went to the disyribution hotch!

Ted wilson

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 2500 limited crew cab
With the diesel engine.

I am trying to get the tow capacity.
I have seen one table that listed a dead tow capacity, distributed hitch capacity. And goosneck capacity.

I have a 2-1/2 tow bar with 2-5/16 ball rated at 21,000 pounds.

So i know that the bar and ball can take the weight.

I do have a distribution hitch as well but line the adjustable height of the other hitch.

So what tow capacity do i have on a dead weight ball?

What if i went to the disyribution hotch!
I forgot to sadd that it is a 4x4

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure what HD towing numbers are, but yes there will be a different tongue weight capacity for weight distribution and standard bumper pull trailers.

The HD forums will probably be more help as most users here are 1500 owners.

Ted wilson

Reaction score
I’m not sure what HD towing numbers are, but yes there will be a different tongue weight capacity for weight distribution and standard bumper pull trailers.

The HD forums will probably be more help as most users here are 1500 owners.
Thanks i will post there

Ted wilson

Reaction score
I have just bought a 2019 limited crew cab 4x4 with diesel. I am trying to figure out the tow weight and how a dead weight hitch and dist hitch change the tow capicity.

I do not plan on goose neck towing. I do have a weight dist hitch someplace but also have the 2-1/2 x 2-5/16 ball hitch that shows the toung weight.

Ted wilson

Reaction score

Hitch type affects load, not the towing capacity.
This site will give you VIN specific towing capacity Ram Tow & Load Capacity
Thanks that one let me do vin lookup

Looks like 16500

I am huessing that the hitch type like a weigjt dist would shift some load to tne front axle.

On my old 2500 that was just totaled i pulled into a weight station several times to check not only trailer weight but axle loading as well.

I was at 12000 pounds and the rear axle still had some capicity left. I forget how mich

I will try to track down the spring bars for my weight didt hitch and may bring it just in case

But i think tne heavy towing is done.

I do have the hitch that shows tong weight,

At one point i saw a chart that had max tong weight listed i wish i could find that

Ted wilson

Reaction score
Thanks. I saw one set of tables that had very small loads for a dead weight hitch ann more for weigjt dist hitch

Users who are viewing this thread