5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does driving up on a rock count as Off-Roading?

aametzger

Reaction score
I'm joking obviously because I know just driving up on a rock doesn't constitute as off-roading, but I thought I would share some pics of driving my truck up on a rock while on my weekend cabin trip. There was a cluster of rocks that if I had more offroad confidence, more clearance on the exit (edge of the trees was kinda close) and fewer beverages consumed, I may have been able to drive all the way across the cluster with one side of the truck. Instead, I played it safe and drove up and after a couple of mins reversed back down. It was high enough to lift the back tire off the ground a few inches. On the way back off the rock, there was probably only a few mm between the bumper skirt and the rock.

Attachments

• cabinrock1.png
    cabinrock1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
  • cabinrock2.png
    cabinrock2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
  • cabinrock3.png
    cabinrock3.png
    1 MB · Views: 231
  • cabinrock4.png
    cabinrock4.png
    979.5 KB · Views: 232
  • cabinrock5.png
    cabinrock5.png
    973.4 KB · Views: 231
  • cabinrock6.png
    cabinrock6.png
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 223
  • cabinrock7.png
    cabinrock7.png
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 219

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It counts. It's more off-road than 90% of 4X4s on the highway (all makes) will ever see.

I completely understand your hesitation to do more. I chickened out after half a mile or so on an unmaintained boulder-strewn dirt road the first time I checked that the four wheel drive worked. Some of them rocks were big, and there was no way to dodge all of them, and my truck didn't even have permanent plates on it yet. It didn't have running boards yet, either, or I'm sure I would have damaged them. You gotta at least wait until the new car smell is gone before you start treating it like an old beater.

JRD

Reaction score
What is that accent color? It looks amazing

aametzger

Reaction score
What is that accent color? It looks amazing

thanks!
It's a vinyl wrap - Matte Anodized Bronze - K75549
I have made several posts surrounding getting the chrome wrapped over in the "what did you do to your ram today" thread if you wanted to check out more pics etc. I am not completely sold on it being the final accent color, as in the bright sun or well-lit scenarios its a little bright and clashes some with the body color. In low/ medium light scenarios like cloudy days, evening time etc, it looks fantastic. I am planning to work on a test area with my installer and overlay a very light tint vinyl to see if I can tame down the brightness and bring out the darker/black hue of the film without losing the some of the core color. I also plan on bringing in more black elements - ram door emblem, 1500 on the hood bezel, and maybe the remaining chrome on the grille.

Thanks again. The color is definitely a "love it or hate it" kinda thing as you will see from some of the comments in the other thread. It's cool though I love hearing all the opinions, as we all have different tastes. It's great seeing all the different ways everyone has configured their truck.

Reactions: JRD

aametzger

Reaction score
Your RAMBOX looks almost flush!!! What's your secret? :)

IF ONLY! :) Yea it might just be the picture angles etc. I have seen ones on here that are worse than mine, but both of mine are kinda jacked and beginning to warp as others have reported. I tried to loosen all the bolts on my driver side one to try to adjust the tilt, but I couldn't get it to budge and gave up (I obviously missed some fasteners). They also leak water in a carwash.

HitmanHugh

Reaction score
thanks!
It's a vinyl wrap - Matte Anodized Bronze - K75549
I have made several posts surrounding getting the chrome wrapped over in the "what did you do to your ram today" thread if you wanted to check out more pics etc. I am not completely sold on it being the final accent color, as in the bright sun or well-lit scenarios its a little bright and clashes some with the body color. In low/ medium light scenarios like cloudy days, evening time etc, it looks fantastic. I am planning to work on a test area with my installer and overlay a very light tint vinyl to see if I can tame down the brightness and bring out the darker/black hue of the film without losing the some of the core color. I also plan on bringing in more black elements - ram door emblem, 1500 on the hood bezel, and maybe the remaining chrome on the grille.

Thanks again. The color is definitely a "love it or hate it" kinda thing as you will see from some of the comments in the other thread. It's cool though I love hearing all the opinions, as we all have different tastes. It's great seeing all the different ways everyone has configured their truck.

I think it looks super unique. Some matching lug nuts would be perfect.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You got off the pavement and climbed and obstacle...counts in my book. But watchout, It becomes an addiction. Before you know it you will be out somewhere enjoying nature that others may never see.

20140710_153433.jpg 20150131_142047.jpg 20190307_174922.jpg
These poser offroad shots are all from my driveway. I get offroad everyday lol

aametzger

Reaction score
I meant bronze lug nuts, but you can't go wrong with black!

That might be interesting and would add some contrast on the wheel. Thanks for the idea!

I plan to get the calipers painted to match the accent once I finalize the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scotsmangav

Reaction score
Welcome to the club !

Attachments

• 1F0BBDDC-95A9-496D-A857-A423C9015175.jpeg
    1F0BBDDC-95A9-496D-A857-A423C9015175.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 41

Heli-Pilot

Reaction score
I'm joking obviously because I know just driving up on a rock doesn't constitute as off-roading, but I thought I would share some pics of driving my truck up on a rock while on my weekend cabin trip. There was a cluster of rocks that if I had more offroad confidence, more clearance on the exit (edge of the trees was kinda close) and fewer beverages consumed, I may have been able to drive all the way across the cluster with one side of the truck. Instead, I played it safe and drove up and after a couple of mins reversed back down. It was high enough to lift the back tire off the ground a few inches. On the way back off the rock, there was probably only a few mm between the bumper skirt and the rock.

Lol, that's awesome, love it! You are now officially a "Rock Crawler" ! !!!

aametzger

Reaction score
Lol, that's awesome, love it! You are now officially a "Rock Crawler" ! !!!

Thanks! kiddy stuff I know. Next time I will pull off my front air dam and just roll over the cluster of them like a boss. :D It didn't help any that I just got my wheels powder-coated the day before. The newness had not worn off enough to risk jacking them up. I would like to get out on a mild off-road trail to build up my confidence. I would think some novice trails would be fun. Not sure where to find those around here though.

Users who are viewing this thread