5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone carry a jumpstart pack?

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My only gripe with the Noco GB40 is the soft carrying bag that comes with it. It's way too easy to hit the flashlight or power button, which could drain the battery pack while it's being stored. I bought a couple of these for mine. It just barely fits in the under floor storage bins.
View attachment 146720 View attachment 146721 View attachment 146722 View attachment 146723
Same, as to the carry bag. I immediately bought the NOCO GBC013 for ours.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I have the Gooloo GT4000. Thing is a beast, I've used it on several things so far and has had no trouble. $60 dollars off right now on Amazon.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found an old Home Depot gift card. Used it to buy a Dewalt. Now that I have one, I'll probably never need it. I probably won't leave it in the truck, but it will go on any road or camping trips.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will take some time to review all these options this week while I’m off work. Question for users here though - has anyone considered an antigravity battery with jump start protection built in over a jumper? I’m thinking of picking up one of these jumpers mentioned as we have a few vehicles, but when the Ram battery goes out getting one of these to replace it. Any thought/opinions? I saw this product from @Aseras where he posted in another thread. Especially if battery dies during cold weather/precipitation I think the cost & extra longevity sort of balances everything out.

kzielu

Reaction score
I will take some time to review all these options this week while I’m off work. Question for users here though - has anyone considered an antigravity battery with jump start protection built in over a jumper? I’m thinking of picking up one of these jumpers mentioned as we have a few vehicles, but when the Ram battery goes out getting one of these to replace it. Any thought/opinions? I saw this product from @Aseras where he posted in another thread. Especially if battery dies during cold weather/precipitation I think the cost & extra longevity sort of balances everything out.

I own this battery for a Mustang - which I race - and only reason I do is because of weight (obviously). Other than that, there is no reason to use them - they're finicky, have different voltage than regular batteries, most cars battery management systems can't charge them properly and you'd end up with dead battery at some point (I did) and they pretty much require dedicated charger.
No reason to ever use it in a daily driven vehicle.

Reactions: @JC

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I own this battery for a Mustang - which I race - and only reason I do is because of weight (obviously). Other than that, there is no reason to use them - they're finicky, have different voltage than regular batteries, most cars battery management systems can't charge them properly and you'd end up with dead battery at some point (I did) and they pretty much require dedicated charger.
No reason to ever use it in a daily driven vehicle.

The forum member I tagged where I found out about this product has been very happy with his so far in his Ram. My daily driver circumstances are unusual compared to most - I’m driving 5-9 hours one way in a day, all around unknown areas to me for a day or 2 after then before heading back home, totaling around 60k per year. I’m doing this 2-3 weeks per month. The last thing I want to do is be stranded somewhere I’m not familiar with or in an unsafe area - especially considering some other existing family circumstances where I might need to hit the road back home immediately. My plan potentially is to install this for the main source of battery & then hook up a secondary battery as a backup & other accessories such as lighting. If it’s finicky to where it’s not going to charge or work properly then that’s a concern for sure - Aseras says his seems to have great so far however. I believe this model battery has either a built in charger or a small one to add to it to keep it proper.

Thanks for the reply tho! If I still had my Trans Am that I had planned on circuit racing I’d be using it for the same reasons as yourself - I sold it earlier this year tho & plan on auctioning my Jeep to get into something else after it’s released sometime next year. Hopefully.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have one of the new style lithium models, barely larger than two decks of cards, with enough juice to start up an 8L diesel.

What's also good is they have connections for emergency charging my cellphone or whatever when I'm out in the field, even has an LED flashlight.

Highly recommend you carry one of these, they are affordable, light weight, compact and pack a punch. Not like the giant 12V stuff I carried in the past.

LOL. The only one that will start a 5.9L or 6.7L Cummins is the Noco. Check out Project farm, they all failed. The 4000A Gooloo I have won't start my 6.7L.

Sadly, I wasn't really looking for one and missed the $100 off black friday sale on the Noco.

kzielu

Reaction score
I have bunch of them - had to use Noco GB40 on Ford's 3.5 Ecooboost when battery crapped out during covid and it worked perfectly well. It is much more reasonable solution than buying main lithium battery for the truck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LOL. The only one that will start a 5.9L or 6.7L Cummins is the Noco. Check out Project farm, they all failed. The 4500A Gooloo I have won't start my 6.7L.

Sadly, I wasn't really looking for one and missed the $100 off black friday sale on the Noco.

I meant was that a really fair test? The NOCO they tested was twice as expensive and the. Ext closest jump starter and also had the largest battery pack. They were also trying to use them with no batteries on the vehicles. Most juno starter packs tell you they are only to assist starting on a low battery. They aren't really designed to start a vehicle with no battery, or one that is completely drained.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I meant was that a really fair test? The NOCO they tested was twice as expensive and the. Ext closest jump starter and also had the largest battery pack. They were also trying to use them with no batteries on the vehicles. Most juno starter packs tell you they are only to assist starting on a low battery. They aren't really designed to start a vehicle with no battery, or one that is completely drained.

It's fair if they advertise they can start a diesel and can't.

Like I said, my Gooloo can't start my Cummins with low - not dead - battery(s). It should be called a TooLow. Won't even crank.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's fair if they advertise they can start a diesel and can't.

Like I said, my Gooloo can't start my Cummins with low - not dead - battery(s). It should be called a TooLow. Won't even crank.
I have not tried using mine to jump a diesel. Yeah they claim they can. I guess what zi was getting atz is none of them claim to be able to jump start a vehicle with a completely dead battery, yet that's what the test was.

And even a fully charged standard car battery will struggle to jump start a diesel if the battery in diesel is completely dead. Especially if there is a dead cell in battery. Just needs to be realistic expectations.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
This guy reviews some jump boxes and was able to start a 4.2L tractor with some of them

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This guy reviews some jump boxes and was able to start a 4.2L tractor with some of them

That one was pretty bad for the NOCO GB40 that has been highly recommended in this thread.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not the latest PF jump starter test - this is the one I was referring to when I posted about the Noco.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's not the latest PF jump starter test - this is the one I was referring to when I posted about the Noco.

That isn't the GB40 unit. That video uses the GBX155 which is huge. The GB40 is what a lot of people recommend in this thread, and it was one of the worst performing jump starters.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I carry the NOCO GB150. Work around heavy equipment and it makes it super easy to give some assist to a battery that gets too low overnight in the cold season. Jumper cables still have their place ( I guess ) but don’t carry them any more. Sometimes you can’t get close to a piece of equipment to use jumper cables, so that’s where the NOCO Bo’s is nice.

Where do you store the 150 in the truck? I’m thinking maybe the 70 might still fit in one of the floor bins. Otherwise I’ll go 150 & figure out organization.

Users who are viewing this thread