5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone carry a jumpstart pack?

country4life

Reaction score
I carry a Noco unit in one of the rear floor bins. Has helped jump others in a few situations. The old fashion jump boxes/cables are bulky so i stopped carrying those. Noco unit is out of sight out of mind until you need it. I randomly pull it out every few months to give it quick re-up charge.
What amps did you go with

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I carry a NOCO as well.

NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter Box​

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Updated post #5 with owner manuals info, a lot of DO NOTS.
Of particular interest:

OPERATING TEMP: -22°F to 120°F
CHARGING TEMP: 34° to 104°F

Do not leave charging over 24 Hours.
NEVER LEAVE ANY ELECTRONIC DEVICES UNATTENDED DURING CHARGING.

I could see how the parameters of charging could be exceeded very readily.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I only carry one when I think I’ll need it. I always buy one that has replaceable batteries and can handle large trucks. I used a snap-on from the late 90’s until I bought a JNC-660 in 2013. I’ve put the JNC through the ringer- from powering inverters for coffee makers and laptops to aiding in cranking skidsteers, forklifts, and tow trucks. I’m still using that same JNC pack.

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+10 for the NOCO, I only used it to jump my ATV so far but my son in law has the same unit and has used it for cars, boats, snowmobiles.
It works.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I've tried so many. Ended up with a Noco Genius 150 3000 amp. They now have a 4250 amp model. Many that I tried said they would start a 6.7 diesel but in reality, they couldn't. So, test why you buy to be sure it will start your dead battery truck.

Also, I found that these new types of jump starters will not start a dead battery. The battery needs to have a certain level of volts to excite the jump starter. So, like djevox above, I also carry a JNC-660. The JNC-660 was recommended by a roadside assist friend who has used one for years for all of his roadside jump starting. The JNC-660 has a regular lead-acid battery to do the work. Like jump starting via another vehicle.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried so many. Ended up with a Noco Genius 150 3000 amp. They now have a 4250 amp model. Many that I tried said they would start a 6.7 diesel but in reality, they couldn't. So, test why you buy to be sure it will start your dead battery truck.

Also, I found that these new types of jump starters will not start a dead battery. The battery needs to have a certain level of volts to excite the jump starter. So, like djevox above, I also carry a JNC-660. The JNC-660 was recommended by a roadside assist friend who has used one for years for all of his roadside jump starting. The JNC-660 has a regular lead-acid battery to do the work. Like jump starting via another vehicle.
If the battery is completely dead, depending on the CCAs required by vehicle, even another regular car battery might not start the vehicle. When I developed a bad cell in the factory battery on my 1999 Dakota R/T battery, even with jumper cables connected to another truck is struggled to start. Would have been better off removing the bad battery so the vehicle getting a jump start from wasn't trying to overcome a bad cell in top of starting the vehicle.

John Jensen

Reaction score
If the battery is completely dead, depending on the CCAs required by vehicle, even another regular car battery might not start the vehicle. When I developed a bad cell in the factory battery on my 1999 Dakota R/T battery, even with jumper cables connected to another truck is struggled to start. Would have been better off removing the bad battery so the vehicle getting a jump start from wasn't trying to overcome a bad cell in top of starting the vehicle.

Agree. My brother had dead batteries on his 2016 6.7 HO and we tried everything but could not start it. Turned out one of the batteries had a dead cell.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s an excellent point that a lot of people don’t consider “in the heat of the moment”.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think all mentions are good recomendations. The noco kept poping the most.
So was able to get the gb40 1000a max 6.0 gas engine for $70.
And decided to pick up a hulkman 6.5 1200a 6.5 max gas engine as well for the same price on black friday/cyber monday

country4life

Reaction score
Is the gb70 or gb150 overkill?
I think all mentions are good recomendations. The noco kept poping the most.
So was able to get the gb40 1000a max 6.0 gas engine for $70.
And decided to pick up a hulkman 6.5 1200a 6.5 max gas engine as well for the same price on black friday/cyber monday

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When you (or your wife) are standing by a dead vehicle, at 0200, in the winter, alone...is "overkill" even a thing?

Also, these boost packs do gradually drop charge while stored. The above case will happen the night before your once-a-year scheduled recharge. Oh, and that low temp will take some extra juice, too. Since the booster was sitting in your cold vehicle and the engine is cold and the oil is like syrup.

I've got GB70s.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Overkill no… but then id have to look at the difference in price and would still want it compact enough w/ a case on it to store in the the rear floor bin but thats just my opinion.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be overkill for me but i am not in extreme weather, i did watch a couple of videos with extreme weather and long term reviews and the gb40 was still getting about 10 jumps so it was good enought for me. Now will you be charging phones and tablets so that a bigger battery pack would be beneficial to you
For the price of the gb70 or gb150
I would rather get 2 and carry both on trips
Say a gb40 and nexpow 2000a which also gets great reviews. See link in post #16.

RBJ

Reaction score
I have and have used several times a MotorCord Multifunction Jump Starter. It’s great great, holds charge for months (I charge it every 6 months), is simple to use and compact.

MotorCord 18,000Mah Multi-Functional SUPER POWER CAR JUMP STARTER, High 600A Peak Current, MOST POWERFUL Compact Emergency Power Supply Complete Kit With LED Flashlight, Adapters, & Clamps​

oe542bob

Reaction score
I carry the NOCO GB150. Work around heavy equipment and it makes it super easy to give some assist to a battery that gets too low overnight in the cold season. Jumper cables still have their place ( I guess ) but don’t carry them any more. Sometimes you can’t get close to a piece of equipment to use jumper cables, so that’s where the NOCO Bo’s is nice.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread