5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does aftermarket exhaust on 5.7 do anything?

RobbieDigital

Reaction score
Before I go buying a $1500 aftermarket exhaust system for my 2019 5.7L does an aftermarket actually increase performance or just make the truck sound better? Also, any impact on MPG?

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Absolutely not. Just sound increase.
Any mpg change would be loss, from you being in the pedal more wanting to hear your sweet new exhaust.

Can’t wait to see who argues with me on this one . The truth are going to hurt people’s feelings I’m sure.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Just sound increase.
Any mpg change would be loss, from you being in the pedal more wanting to hear your sweet new exhaust.

Can’t wait to see who argues with me on this one . The truth are going to hurt people’s feelings I’m sure.
Just thinking the same thing, always love reading the debates on how much hp CAI's add.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I mostly agree with PM-Performance and would also say that most modifications that increase performance (i.e. more power) would do so at the expense of MPG.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My fuel mileage went down when I replaced the muffler, for the reasons already talked about :D

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're wanting to get performance gains out of exhaust you need to look in front of the cat-back, AKA moving to headers and high-flow/no cats along with a tune.

FishOn

Reaction score
The exhaust only makes it sound cool... But the stickers they come with add 5HP.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Hi flow cats would help,when I was into Camaros I had a CAI brand cold air intake , supposed to add 16 hp, I believe it, Janney did dyno tests on all major brands & had proof.

Rickyrocket

Reaction score
Hi flow cats would help,when I was into Camaros I had a CAI brand cold air intake , supposed to add 16 hp, I believe it, Janney did dyno tests on all major brands & had proof.
JANNETY that is,stupid spell check

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you stop and think about it, why would the engineers leave 5, 10, 25+ horsepower languish inside the exhaust system. Exhaust system design is almost its own science and a lot of work goes into developing as much efficiency (ie: reducing power losses) into the system as possible while meeting federal and state requirements. Could some gain be achieved by altering the exhaust system? Sure, but it would be the most expensive dollar per horsepower gain of anything you could do to the vehicle. You're better off spending the money on low rolling resistance tires.

I hate to say this, too, but for some, increasing the noise from the exhaust appeals to the need for increased attention.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045221 miles.

Drewster

Reaction score
Headers, yes, anything else not really.

Headers can make a strong impact on the volumetric efficiency (VE) of the engine, and shift the torque curve up or down in RPM which makes a big difference in power. Kooks is one of the few that actually do enough R&D to make a difference (and are on my personal wish list). Be careful if you do long tube headers that remove the cats, because you have to spend a LOT of money for an aftermarket catalyst that won't throw a P0420 code

A bigger issue on these trucks is actually tuning - which you need to do since it's a speed-density ECU that really needs an accurate VE table. Every new Dodge/ RAM is actually encrypted, so you have to mail in the ECU or otherwise swap it, on top of the tuning cost.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
If you stop and think about it, why would the engineers leave 5, 10, 25+ horsepower languish inside the exhaust system. Exhaust system design is almost its own science and a lot of work goes into developing as much efficiency (ie: reducing power losses) into the system as possible while meeting federal and state requirements. Could some gain be achieved by altering the exhaust system? Sure, but it would be the most expensive dollar per horsepower gain of anything you could do to the vehicle. You're better off spending the money on low rolling resistance tires.

I hate to say this, too, but for some, increasing the noise from the exhaust appeals to the need for increased attention.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045221 miles.
NVH is an example of why engineers leave horsepower in the exhaust system. Especially with MDS producing non-V8 sounds in our trucks. Drone is hard to eliminate without restricting power and with many trucks seeing towing duty, any drone gets annoying fast. This would be a similar explanation for why race cars are loud.

NVH is always a compromise. If you removed the sound deadening equipment from a vehicle you would have a truck that could haul and tow more while being faster and getting better fuel economy. Same with safety equipment. Not all engineers are focused on top HP output.

Users who are viewing this thread