5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dodge reputation

FrankD74

Reaction score
Hello everyone , I’m a big fan of Dodge and Ram , I just don’t know why they get such a bad reputation?

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
One thing I remember as a boy was replacement parts. If you needed a starter or generator, you had to have not only the model# but ser# and build date. Seems the factor was having money trouble (even back then) and would change parts on the assembly line on the run. Also in later years they had a terrible electrical system. If it looked like rain the car wouldn't start. It was so bad that when they finally fixed that, they had a TV commercial showing a car with the hood open and fire hoses drenching the engine. Then start it up. Yeah it was that bad. They've come a long way.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Build quality and some parts were low quality but it hasn't been this way since the Gen 3 Ram.
I put 277K trouble free miles on my 2003 (bought new, actually ordered it). The only issues I had were a pinion bearing at 175K miles and a broken valve spring at 250k miles. Truck ran and looked brand new

20200726_125904.jpg
Pic July 2020

20200829_131317.jpg
July 2020

highgear2005

Reaction score
History is a funny thing! Did you know Henry Ford, couldn’t built a engine? Who did he hire to design and built the engines that kick started his company? He hired the Dodge brothers. They made Ford! I’ve owned three Ford trucks and four Jeep,Dodge and Ram autos over the years. None have them been perfect! Each have had small issues, but my last f150 (18) was the worst truck I’ve ever owned. The trucks that held up and given me six plus years have been Dodge, Ram and that’s why I’m back! Anyone that thinks GM and Ford has better quality needs to read those forms, lot of issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I caught hell in high school in the late 70's for driving a Plymouth Fury (an old Highway Patrol car with 128,000 miles on it). Never a problem with that car - ever!
I caught hell in the 80's for driving a K-car and then a Dodge D-150 Power Ram. Never a problem with either vehicle.
I caught hell in the 90's for driving a Dodge Ram. Never a problem even at -30 in Fairbanks, Alaska.
I caught hell in the 2000's for driving a Dodge Ram. Never a problem.
I caught hell in the 2010's for driving a Ram that had formerly been known as a Dodge pickup. Never a problem.
All those hell givers are eating their words and now driving Rams in the 2020s!

Last edited:

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had a 1997 RAM 1500, a 2008 Ram 1500, and now a 2021 Ram 1500.

I have had Water Pumps fail, Front Hubs fail, Brakes every other year, The Biggest thing
that has failed was the Trans in the 2008. It went in to limp Home mode 1400 Miles
from home. Dealer wanted $1800 after they denied my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.
I did it myself for under $500 total. That Truck has 170K on it and is still driven today.

Malodave

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Of the three RAMs I’ve owned (2004 1500, 2006 2500), my 2019 has had the most issues (than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned).

List is too long to write, thankfully those were resolved during the first year and a half, but yeah, a lot of issues which can mainly be chalked up to a new redesign (at least that’s what I keep telling myself).

What it is unforgivable, is seeing trucks still rolling down the line with cracked window bezels, leaks etc. There is zero excuse for those things to still be happening, which tells me their QC is crap, plain and simple.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah they definitely still have that stigma. My buddies have given me a lot of crap over the years. I’ve had 3 different 4th gen Rams and this is my 2nd 5th gen. They have been great trucks for me. My one buddy who is always giving me crap still says how nice it is every time he sees it and rides in it.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got hell in high school in the late 70's for driving a Plymouth Fury. Never a problem with that car - ever!
I caught hell in the 80's for driving a K-car and then a Dodge D-150 Power Ram. Never a problem with either vehicle.
I caught hell in the 90's for driving a Dodge Ram. Never a problem even at -30 in Fairbanks, Alaska.
I caught hell in the 2000's for driving a Dodge Ram. Never a problem.
I caught hell in the 2010's for driving a Ram that had formerly been known as a Dodge pickup. Never a problem.
All those hell givers are eating their words and now driving Rams in the 2020s!

I learned to drive in an '89 Aries-K car. Even took my wife out on our first date in it. It was a simple car, but it never gave my parents any problems.

Grandparents had a Ram Charger that eventually started to give them transmission problems, but I bet it had 200k+ miles on it. Used to take them 45 minutes one way to go into town...

Other than that, I had no other Dodge experience, but heard all the rumors/stories from non-Dodge owners. Crapping on your competition is a very real thing, and after a while a lie repeated often enough becomes perceived as truth. I look at it like this, Dodge would have gone Tango Uniform years ago if it was as bad as people like to say. It wasn't propped up solely on the Cummins, just look at how the others have been doing what they can to emulate the body style since the mid 90's. That alone speaks volumes.

TL;DR this is my first "Dodge" I've bought, and wish I hadn't waited.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210306-191605~2.png
I have owned 3 Ram Chargers and a Plymouth Trailduster. Only pic I got.

I just had to haul my 89 Aries SW to the junk yard. Still ran great...PA cancer got it 20200608_193350.jpg

All the ford guys told me 1st GEN RAMS were junk. Owner one ford that sent me right back. I love Power Rams. 0428001234.jpg
And I still have this 99 RAM Van. It is a great cruiser that we have plans to turn into a stealth camper 20160628_113336.jpg

I won't lie. I am so glad RAM trucks are finally getting their day to shine...but I am ready to go back to being the only guy in town with one....so the damn prices come back down lol

I bought the Yellow and Black Power RAMs for 650 bucks each...right now I couldnt touch them for under 5 grand. Heck I only payed 6000 bucks for my 99 V10 in 2009 when gas was high. Now to replace it I am looking in the 12 to 18k range.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a 1997 RAM 1500, a 2008 Ram 1500, and now a 2021 Ram 1500.

I have had Water Pumps fail, Front Hubs fail, Brakes every other year, The Biggest thing
that has failed was the Trans in the 2008. It went in to limp Home mode 1400 Miles
from home. Dealer wanted $1800 after they denied my Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.
I did it myself for under $500 total. That Truck has 170K on it and is still driven today.

Malodave
If it's a lifetime powertrain warranty, how were they able to deny paying for the trans repairs? Did you mod something that voided the lifetime warranty?

Rhombus

Reaction score
You know, I’ve never had anyone trash talk me for buying a Dodge, RAM or Chrysler product. I’ve owned way too many vehicles from way too many brands. But a Datsun truck they s aid, look at the engineering. Never ran right and they always claimed I had water in the fuel. Had Ford Maverick. Loved the car, but the rotors kept warping and I always tightened to spec with a torque wrench. Bouht a Honda. Bad brakes. Theit sorta free offer to fix at Honda cost me more than replacing every back components myself with aftermarket parts. And the AC compressor blew out. Literally. I’ve had good F-150’s and no so good F-150’s. Chrysler had to buy back a K-car from me. But the two best minivans we ever had were Chrysler’s. One had buckets everywhere and was SO comfortable and smooth to ride in. Loved my diesel Passat. 40+ MPG. but they had to replace the head unit multiple times because that unit was unreliable in the heat. And the list goes on and on and on.

The net is you can find good news or bad news on just about any product out there. People are more prone to post negative than positive. Buy what you want, it’s your money, don’t let someone else spend your money for you.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People seem to have strong feelings about trucks. Ford guys don't like GM or RAM, GM guys don't like Ford or RAM, and RAM guys don't like Ford or GM.

I was a Ford truck guy for 20 years prior to this. While I loved my Fords this RAM has the same feel and personality that my Fords did so I switched. Many are like me and drive what we like but there are plenty out there that are brand-loyal and will bash the others no matter what the facts are.

I drove an old F-250 7.3L diesel and would get dirty looks from the other 3/4 and 1 ton drivers, especially the Cummins guys. When I took my diesel badges off to replace them I got "you're such a loser" looks from just about every HD diesel truck I came across.

Honestly they are all about the same nowadays and all have their issues. It boils down to what suits you, you budget, and what issues you are okay dealing with.

If it's a lifetime powertrain warranty, how were they able to deny paying for the trans repairs? Did you mod something that voided the lifetime warranty?
Apparently there's a clause in that warranty that requires an inspection to be done every 5 years at the dealership. Even though it's at no cost to the customer it is something that is not passed on or a reminder sent in the mail. If you don't read the contract you'd never know it was there. Without that inspection FCA can (and will) deny repairs.

There's a thread floating around here somewhere where that was discussed.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I'm an equal opportunity owner. Since 2001.......
2001 Ford ranger. No issues.
2004 f150. No issues
2006 ram 1500. Third brake light leak.
2008 ram 3500 cummins. 3rd light leak.
2010 toyota tundra. No issues.
2012 ram 3500 cummins. No issues.
2015 ram 3500 cummins. Junk transmission.
2015 LTZ duramax. No issues, but a constant cp4 injection pump thought in the back of my head.
And just recently 2021 ram 1500. I really like my new 5th gen so far, and think ram exceeds most other manufacturers in ride and comfort.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck list since 1990:

84 GMC
91 Mazda B2200
95 Chevy S10
96 Nissan hardbody
98 Nissan Frontier
04 Titan (x2)
19 Ram

If I had to put these in order of reliability, it would be: 96 Nissan>98 Frontier>19 Ram>91 Mazda>04 Titan (#2)>04 Titan (#1)>95 S10>84 GMC. The first two I had no issues at all except for a smelly belt molding on the Frontier that must have had some mold on it when they installed it. The Ram has had one or two recalls and a couple minor things that haven't bothered me enough to worry about (once in a while groaning in brakes when in reverse at first startup, a rumble at 30/60MPH that sounds like a wheel balance) but I'll probably look at before it goes out of warranty in 8 months. The Titans were great trucks but not quite as trouble-free as the Ram; both leaked gear oil on the rear wheel seals, as that was a common problem, both had exhaust manifold cracks another common problem, #2 had a water leak. The B was a great truck but it was as basic as they come. The S10 and GMC were total pieces of ****, which was a shame because I liked both trucks.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently there's a clause in that warranty that requires an inspection to be done every 5 years at the dealership. Even though it's at no cost to the customer it is something that is not passed on or a reminder sent in the mail. If you don't read the contract you'd never know it was there. Without that inspection FCA can (and will) deny repairs.

There's a thread floating around here somewhere where that was discussed.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I won't waste any more time discussing it on this thread then.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Dealer said you have to bring it in every 5 years for a Powertrain Inspection. The Fine Print says
within 60 Days of the in-service date. I was a couple months past this when I brought it in. It actually
Passed the inspection then. As always, anything they can use to Deny or Void the Warranty.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread