5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dodge ram 1500 limited 2019 NAVIGATE MAP WRONG LOCATION

pogostickcowboy

Reaction score
A lot of Ram owners report the GPS showing wrong location (+100 miles off from reality). It isn't a software issue because the system should be downloading the updates automatically.

Some will suggest replacing the antenna (shark fin) because it is a combined sat/gps antenna ($60 and you can do yourself). On our's the SXM radio still works so first step was to check the connections (GPS is a second wire from the antenna) and test the wires. You could also buy a cheap GPS antenna and test with that to see if it is an issue.

Some articles suggest taking the radio apart and replacing the Sierra Wireless card. It is thought that the sun fries the card. https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/uconnect-sierra-wireless-card.267941/
I actually found enough articles that makes we wonder if this is a known longstanding issue that should have resulted in a recall (or class action).

If you take your truck to the dealer they won't really make any attempts to diagnose. The service manual says if the problem is reported to simply replace the entire UConnect system (not just the Sierra Wireless card) for about $1500 in part not incl labour. The dealer also suggested I go to Best Buy or Visions and buy an after market radio ... Aftermarket systems won't do seat position memory and a couple other functions Connect can....

So right now easiest thing we have found is use an iPhone plugged in if you really need GPS to work.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
A lot of Ram owners report the GPS showing wrong location (+100 miles off from reality). It isn't a software issue because the system should be downloading the updates automatically.

Some will suggest replacing the antenna (shark fin) because it is a combined sat/gps antenna ($60 and you can do yourself). On our's the SXM radio still works so first step was to check the connections (GPS is a second wire from the antenna) and test the wires. You could also buy a cheap GPS antenna and test with that to see if it is an issue.

Some articles suggest taking the radio apart and replacing the Sierra Wireless card. It is thought that the sun fries the card. https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/uconnect-sierra-wireless-card.267941/
I actually found enough articles that makes we wonder if this is a known longstanding issue that should have resulted in a recall (or class action).

If you take your truck to the dealer they won't really make any attempts to diagnose. The service manual says if the problem is reported to simply replace the entire UConnect system (not just the Sierra Wireless card) for about $1500 in part not incl labour. The dealer also suggested I go to Best Buy or Visions and buy an after market radio ... Aftermarket systems won't do seat position memory and a couple other functions Connect can....

So right now easiest thing we have found is use an iPhone plugged in if you really need GPS to work.
Totally agree that everyone should be using CarPlay or AA for their NAV needs. Far better...more accurate and never needs updating.

drrxnupe

Reaction score
I prefer to use Waze or Google maps. However, the problem with having the onboard nav system off by 200+ miles is the fact that I'm getting severe weather warnings for the location that my nav system is reading. That also means that I'm not getting weather warnings from my actual location.

fredrk123

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram Laramie loaded and I’m having alot of Navigation issues. This system can’t even go 30 miles down the road without giving me 20 turns before getting there when its a straight shot. I updated the nav software 5 months ago and thought the system would work better but turns out it was just a waste of money …This needs to be a class action because i see other posts whereby Ram is stating to replace the entire NAV unit for under $2k and thats not happening.

Users who are viewing this thread