5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you wash the beast yourself or go to carwash?

socalram

Reaction score
It's been a month since I got the truck and just gave it my first wash.
Holy.. it's one big beast. Took 1.5 hrs to wash and 30 min to spray on sealant.
Not sure how often I want to wash it lol.
Do you guys usually wash it yourself or take it to a carwash?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Car wash at least 90% of the time. But I do additional detailing (not necessarily washing) at home.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do it myself but it is time consuming. I usually do the interior one week and the exterior the next so I don't rush either trying to get it all done in one day.

Bearman95

Reaction score
Hand wash every time! When it’s just dusty I use a California duster! Usually wash it every couple of weeks and takes me two hours or more. I am 68 years old and maybe one day I will not be able to do that but now I can and do. I live in Fort Worth Texas, we usually do not get a lot of freezing weather so handwashing is not usually a problem The past week has been very unusual. Low of zero tomorrow night and 6 inches of snow forecast!

njt07

Reaction score
Myself, with optimum no rinse and 2x 1gallon buckets, about 30-45 minutes for a “quick” wash about 1x a week.
With cheap electric pressure washer, foam lance, wash mitt, and leaf blower about 45-60 min for good, complete wash about 1x a month or so.

Edit: in prosper dealing with this cold weather. Gonna do a good deep clean when it warms up a bit to get rid of any road salt here in the DFW area.

KCViper

Reaction score
Hand wash every time! When it’s just dusty I use a California duster! Usually wash it every couple of weeks and takes me two hours or more. I am 68 years old and maybe one day I will not be able to do that but now I can and do. I live in Fort Worth Texas, we usually do not get a lot of freezing weather so handwashing is not usually a problem The past week has been very unusual. Low of zero tomorrow night and 6 inches of snow forecast!
Ha....I'm in the DFW area also and can't believe tomorrow is 6 inches of snow and low of zero!! I will never take any of my cars to a car wash.....just prefer to hand wash it myself and don't want to risk getting scratches or swirls. A good ceramic coating can evidently really help and what I'll be doing once my truck delivers! Winter weather in Texas is usually fine to hand wash much of the time!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Ha....I'm in the DFW area also and can't believe tomorrow is 6 inches of snow and low of zero!! I will never take any of my cars to a car wash.....just prefer to hand wash it myself and don't want to risk getting scratches or swirls. A good ceramic coating can evidently really help and what I'll be doing once my truck delivers! Winter weather in Texas is usually fine to hand wash much of the time!
True that. Perhaps if I lived up north it would be a different story. Down here in Texas, except for this last couple of weeks, we have pretty mild winters.

For me it’s therapeutic. A chance to bond with the vehicle and inspect every nook and cranny, and to have a couple of hours to get away from computers and be in the “zone”.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do it myself, about once every 2-3 months. When its clean, it looks brilliant!

I won't go to auto washes for a few reason, primarily due to my bed rack system could be damaged or might damage the car wash machines. Also, I'm afraid the automatic top wash thing will damage or dislodge the shark fin on the roof and cause a water leak.

Also, two bucket method hand washing is the only way to ensure a low scratch car wash. It takes a few hours including detailing trim, etc, but it's worth it and good exercise. Luckily red doesn't show dirt easily. Usually looks clean even when a month dirty unless real close, and clean looking 2-months dirty from 50 feet away :)

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends. I’m usually working out of state so it gets touchless car wash, when I’m home between jobs. I wash both the truck and my Charger I can knock both out in a hour or so exterior wise with an electric pressure washer w/ foam cannon then use the two bucket method. Interior if needed I save for another day even though I’m pretty anal about keeping the inside clean the outside I can’t really control with Mother Nature and jobsite locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread