5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you carry a floor jack?

puba08

Reaction score
I carry a powerbuilt uni-Jack. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Same as above. I carry a bottle jack. It's easier to store, while still being much sturdier than the stupid scissor jack the truck comes with. Not to bash Dodge, but I had a Chevy once that came with a bottle jack (mounted under the seat with the lug wrench). I wonder if they still do that.
They do, passenger side under rear seat.

I tried to use it once and ended up calling 911 for support on the turnpike. It felt if the truck was jacked it and cars drove by going 65 it would fall off because of how small the bottle jack was.
I bought one of those jack\stand combos and the thing started pissing oil sitting a week in the kitchen before I even attempted to use it. Great design just needed proper seals for the bottle jack part.

I didn't try the scissor jack but it looks like it will at least fit good for a quick spare change if needed but there is space to take it out and put something else in

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a single axle travel trailer. This lil guy works great. Just check your axle clearance before purchasing. I've only used it for general maintenance stuff for the camper while in the driveway though. I have onboard air so don't really need a jack unless there is a total tire failure.

I carry a powerbuilt uni-Jack. Works like a charm.

I'm surprised you guys have good ones.

I went through 2 of those, even Amazon says I have purchased it before and both had bad seals and pissed oil everywhere.
Did you guys need to replace all the seals when you bought it?

puba08

Reaction score

I went through 2 of those, even Amazon says I have purchased it before and both had bad seals and pissed oil everywhere.

Nope. No issues. Had it like 5 or 6 years

Ratchet

Reaction score

I believe I've had mine 3 or 4 years. Bought it to use whenever I pulled the boat or jet skis. Only used a few times to change tires/inspect wheel bearings. Ended up selling those toys and purchased a camper. Have used it a few times for the same reasons. No issues at all.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They do, passenger side under rear seat.

I tried to use it once and ended up calling 911 for support on the turnpike. It felt if the truck was jacked it and cars drove by going 65 it would fall off because of how small the bottle jack was.....
Yup, mine was in the same place. It wasn't the biggest jack in the world, and certainly not the most sturdy because they made it the smallest possible one they could. A floor jack would be better, but even the little bottle jack was better than any scissor jack I've ever used.
The problem with scissor jacks is, that if the ground is anything other than completely level and flat they twist and/or fall. On flat ground they're great, but who gets to pick the ideal location to have a flat.

Shame to hear about the seal issues on that jack and stand combo. I've seen those before, and they look pretty sturdy. This thread is actually the first time I've heard anyone mention seal issues though so maybe not an extremely common problem.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup, mine was in the same place. It wasn't the biggest jack in the world, and certainly not the most sturdy because they made it the smallest possible one they could. A floor jack would be better, but even the little bottle jack was better than any scissor jack I've ever used.
The problem with scissor jacks is, that if the ground is anything other than completely level and flat they twist and/or fall. On flat ground they're great, but who gets to pick the ideal location to have a flat.

Shame to hear about the seal issues on that jack and stand combo. I've seen those before, and they look pretty sturdy. This thread is actually the first time I've heard anyone mention seal issues though so maybe not an extremely common problem.
Put a piece of wood in your truck to place a jack on.
I had one from when I took my truck out on the beech, they required that so you could jack up and change a tire on sand.

Amazon reviews show otherwise on the jack\stand combo
I guess it's a 50\50 chance as I had the problem and thousands of others, but the people here don't so I guess there is a good chance there are some good ones. I'm told you can replace the seals yourself and it will last but I wouldn't know how.

Last edited:

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My concern isn't with the distribution of weight. That's what the board on the sand is addressing. It increases the contact patch with the ground, thus creating less pressure per square inch so it won't sink into soft soil. It does help a little with irregularities such as bumps or dips so a good tip, but that's not really my concern either.
The problem I have with scissor jacks on an unlevel surface is that they'll tip or even collapse. I'm not talking about a rough surface like sand, dirt or gravel, that the board would help with. I mean a grade or super-elevation where the entire truck/road isn't level. I understand that may not be as big of a problem in some of the flatter states, but eastern Ohio is in the Appalachian region, so it's not uncommon to have some amount of slope to deal with. This causes the top of the jack (contacting the truck) to move out of alignment with the plate contacting the ground. If the top isn't directly over the base it can tip. All jacks are susceptible to this, but scissor jacks (based on my experience) are not only at of risk tipping, but they'll twist and fail when not level. And yes that's based on experience. I've seen it happen to more than one person (including myself). It's just a poor design if you ask me. Just an opinion though, so take it for what it's worth.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I carry a pro eagle 3 ton jack and have all the extensions in the storage box.
View attachment 133751
We just became a Pro Eagle Dealer. We are getting ready to place our first stocking order so if anyone wants a jack let us know which one and we will make sure to add it to our order. We are going to run the 3 ton in our dual spare setup on our truck.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a 12 ton bottle jack that I bought from Advance Auto probably 10 years ago. It immediately replaced the scissor jack in the Ram when I traded my Titan. I've had 3 scissor jacks fail on me on different cars, never again. It fits in the space the OEM scissor jack was under the passenger seat, and I've had no issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread