5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you carry a floor jack?

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Bit new to the travel trailer world. Been doing short trips since 2020, but looking to start going further. For those of you with a Travel Trailer....do you carry normal floor jack? I was thinking about snagging a harbor freight unit. I know I could probably stack boards under the other axle on my TT since i have twin axles, but if i loose 2 tires on one side. That will not work. What do you all do?

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always carry an extra trolley / floor Jack in all my trucks, or 12 T bottle Jack. I like the bottle Jacks because they takes up less room. I also carry extra 2x6, 4x4 and other wood pieces to go under jacks, and chalking. Jack stands are nice also. I don’t pull a travel trailer, but I pull different size trailers that I have to be prepared for.

Last edited:

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't use to with my previous lighter open trailer because the trucks jack would work with it and theft. Now I have a heavier 10k lb 24' x 8.5' enclosed Vnose, with plenty of lockable room inside. I was able to mount a 3 1/2 ton floor jack vertically against the wall, just inside the door, for easy access. The vertical mounting takes up very little room and it's good piece of mind knowing I have more jack than I need.

Also have a large piece of wood stashed in there incase of softer ground.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same as above. I carry a bottle jack. It's easier to store, while still being much sturdier than the stupid scissor jack the truck comes with. Not to bash Dodge, but I had a Chevy once that came with a bottle jack (mounted under the seat with the lug wrench). I wonder if they still do that.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely need the lumber, specially in summer, asphalt gets soft and jacks sink right in

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bottle jack, and our insurance was bundled with roadside assistance if we need it.

bombaman

Reaction score
Bottle jack and a decent ammount of cribbage to have a stable base. Even if you have a flat on the car rather than the trailer, the cribbage helps keep the jack in a more stable position (< 45 degrees between arms)

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
Neighbor is getting ready to move out of state. I have been buying tools off him. Mentioned I needed a jack for my trailer. He hooked my up with a little craftsman 2 ton unit in a travel case for free. Was planning to do a bottle jack, but this for free is perfect. Thanks all for the input.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't use to with my previous lighter open trailer because the trucks jack would work with it and theft. Now I have a heavier 10k lb 24' x 8.5' enclosed Vnose, with plenty of lockable room inside. I was able to mount a 3 1/2 ton floor jack vertically against the wall, just inside the door, for easy access. The vertical mounting takes up very little room and it's good piece of mind knowing I have more jack than I need.

Also have a large piece of wood stashed in there incase of softer ground.
FYI - if the rod end of the hydraulic cylinder in the jack is facing down you will get air in it that will need to be bled. Movers screwed up my jacks coming down from Canada because the had them stuck in vertical to take less space. I thought they were shot, but bleeding the air and topping off the reservoir got them working again.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Neighbor is getting ready to move out of state. I have been buying tools off him. Mentioned I needed a jack for my trailer. He hooked my up with a little craftsman 2 ton unit in a travel case for free. Was planning to do a bottle jack, but this for free is perfect. Thanks all for the input.
Hard to argue with that. I like the stability of a floor jack, I only carry the bottle jack because it's easier to store. For free though, I'd find a place for the floor jack instead.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI - if the rod end of the hydraulic cylinder in the jack is facing down you will get air in it that will need to be bled.
Good to know. Fortunately I've kept mine horizontal just because it fit well that way. I'll have to make it a point to purposely do that from now on.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI - if the rod end of the hydraulic cylinder in the jack is facing down you will get air in it that will need to be bled. Movers screwed up my jacks coming down from Canada because the had them stuck in vertical to take less space. I thought they were shot, but bleeding the air and topping off the reservoir got them working again.
Hmm, I've used it several times since mounting it this way. Guess I got lucky and mounted the correct way? ..I'm going to have to check next time I'm out at the polebarn.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know they do have brackets to hang them vertical - used in race car trailers - so there must be a way to do it correctly. It should be okay if you have it right side up.

Ratchet

Reaction score

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They do make telescoping hydraulic jacks if you have difficulties getting under your axle -

1652905632146.jpeg

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a single axle travel trailer. This lil guy works great. Just check your axle clearance before purchasing. I've only used it for general maintenance stuff for the camper while in the driveway though. I have onboard air so don't really need a jack unless there is a total tire failure.
That looks pretty nifty!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I had the Ramboxes I'd definitely have a small floor jack in it. In my Dakota I carry a small floor jack and use a ratchet strap to hold it against tailgate. But it's lowered and a small floor jack works. With my zram and taller tiresz it wouldn't lift the truck high enough to be useful

Users who are viewing this thread