5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do-nuts

mpmitch1

Reaction score
I tried doing some do nuts the other day in light mud....half way floored it and I got nothing, like the the pedal doesn't give it gas. Is this the traction control kicking in?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Sounds like.

I used to run into that trying to smog cars on a dynamometer. Forget to kill the VSC or traction control or whatever they call it and you get nothing. You start rolling the drive wheels but since the others aren't moving, it kills the gas.

Last edited:

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
That's the only way? Seems weird that you can't disable and stay 2wd.
If you have it in 4hi or 4lo you can press and hold the traction control switch for like 5 seconds and 2 messages come up on the dash. First says something like traction control disabled and the other says ESC disabled.

69Sting

Reaction score
Being in WI and during our winters there are times for safety I would like the ESC off. Hard to spin into traffic and go when the power to the wheels get turned off and you slow down due to a little slide. Also there is just the plain fun of 'walking' the truck down the road.
If any one figures out a way to disable ESC while in 2wd, please post.

NorthEdition19

Reaction score
I’ve had luck just holding the traction control in(or down) for 5-10 secs.

69Sting

Reaction score
I have found that holding the traction control button down for 5-10 sec only disables the ESC/ESP when in 4HI. Not when in 2 wheel drive. It will allow tire spin but not allow the truck to slide if there is any tilt in the body.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pulling the fuse or buying a Tazer DT are the only two ways I know of getting your "drift on" in a 5th Gen Ram. You can do a straight line smoke show, no problem, with just traction control off... but the second the rear starts to go sideways, stability control overrides the fun button.

NorthEdition19

Reaction score
Pulling the fuse or buying a Tazer DT are the only two ways I know of getting your "drift on" in a 5th Gen Ram. You can do a straight line smoke show, no problem, with just traction control off... but the second the rear starts to go sideways, stability control overrides the fun button.
Ah ok, I’ve only turned it off in my old 4th gen and it would break lose sideways. I guess the new gens are more safety oriented

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah ok, I’ve only turned it off in my old 4th gen and it would break lose sideways. I guess the new gens are more safety oriented
Every time I've tried to "have fun" it's been mixed results before I got the Tazer DT. And when I say mixed results, I mean stability control would kick in to varying degrees of slide and wheelspin. With the Tazer it completely disables the safety features as if you pulled the fuse. Your dash lights up like a christmas tree, but at least it affords you the freedom to drive the truck in any manner you need or want.

NorthEdition19

Reaction score
Every time I've tried to "have fun" it's been mixed results before I got the Tazer DT. And when I say mixed results, I mean stability control would kick in to varying degrees of slide and wheelspin. With the Tazer it completely disables the safety features as if you pulled the fuse. Your dash lights up like a christmas tree, but at least it affords you the freedom to drive the truck in any manner you need or want.
It’s funny your talking about the tazer DT, I just bought the peddle commander(GREAT investment) and was looking at the DT now. There’s a guy on here selling one, but is it worth getting one?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s funny your talking about the tazer DT, I just bought the peddle commander(GREAT investment) and was looking at the DT now. There’s a guy on here selling one, but is it worth getting one?
Yes, if you want control of tpms, stability controls, lights and camera controls and the list goes on. It's not the be-all-end-all of gadgets and has limitations... but most of us that purchased it are very happy with it.

Lize

Reaction score
When it rains my Rebel in 2WD seems to start going sideways at nearly every junction and sharp turns. Generally I've been in traffic and come off the gas a bit rather than kept going but did go for a short stretch the other day, I noticed cars behind dropped right back so decided better to calm down. Not seen any traction control lights on the dash and I can't think it has any buttons, perhaps the Rebel isn't the same?

Anyway, I've put this down to a combination of nobbly tyres and user error (heavy foot) in conjunction with Pedal Commander set on Sport+ +1 :D

Users who are viewing this thread