5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DO NOT USE USPS

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your situation is unfortunate but at work we use all 3 consistently USPS, FEdex and UPS - all 3 have major issues when things go wrong, they don't put enough resources to fix things or they just let things fix themselves as in lets see when the package turns up - USPS has been a little faster with results
UPS - once a package going to northern California ended up in Canada, It took about 3 weeks to be return to us and not the receiver - the hold up as per rep there were no customs paper work to bring back the package into the US
Fedex - lost a bulky 55 pound package for more than a month. As per rep it took them this long because initially they were looking for a small package the size of a binder

CLECSoft

Reaction score
For something like that, certified mail is the best option. It gives you a way to track the envelope
As former Post Master Relief, the least expensive way to track a letter without requiring a signature that can sometimes cause a delay if no one is home/there is to INSURE it for a token amount. Then all processing machines and delivery are scanned into the USPS system. Half the price of priority is tracking and not speed are important.

U

User_3336

Well, Fedex messes things up too. Twice in the past 12 months, I've had $60k-$80k in payroll checks go missing from Fedex. It's not fun to have to void dozens of paychecks and reissue.
Direct deposit for payroll checks not available?

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
We send documents via UPS overnight at least 30-40x a year. They do screw up but yes, far less than USPS. Coincidentally though, I had my worst experience with UPS. Long story short, they lost a very high net worth client's packet with social security numbers, bank info, etc. We spent a good amount of money on damage control. Attorney consult, ID theft protection for client, and so on. UPS took 0 responsibility. Best of all, was during the holiday season and they admitted it was a temp delivery person handling overflow.

And guess where it turned up 6 months later? Down the street in a vacant house's mailbox. At a completely different house then they claimed to have delivered to and had it signed for. It was unopened. It was found because someone moved in and delivered it to my client, their new neighbors.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We send documents via UPS overnight at least 30-40x a year. They do screw up but yes, far less than USPS. Coincidentally though, I had my worst experience with UPS. Long story short, they lost a very high net worth client's packet with social security numbers, bank info, etc. We spent a good amount of money on damage control. Attorney consult, ID theft protection for client, and so on. UPS took 0 responsibility. Best of all, was during the holiday season and they admitted it was a temp delivery person handling overflow.

And guess where it turned up 6 months later? Down the street in a vacant house's mailbox. At a completely different house then they claimed to have delivered to and had it signed for. It was unopened. It was found because someone moved in and delivered it to my client, their new neighbors.
o yes I forgot and its just around the corner, UPS can be the worst during holiday season, they often hire part timers that don't care for the job. One time we had to chase the main driver because his helper was leaving about 20 overnight package non of which belong to us

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
o yes I forgot and its just around the corner, UPS can be the worst during holiday season, they often hire part timers that don't care for the job. One time we had to chase the main driver because his helper was leaving about 20 overnight package non of which belong to us
My former UPS driver was great, he fired his "helper" in the middle of the day. You have to be a worker. Son worked for them for about a year and a half, not an easy job or pleasant. He was 25 and 26 years old and suffered over use and carpal tunnel like symptoms. Overtime was also killing the drivers.

Atvdinner

Reaction score
I'll add my two cents here. I do currently work for the United States Postal Service.
Priority mail express is the "overnight service" it's the fastest way to get something somewhere with a money back guarantee. It's the ONLY service with a money back guarantee. When this requires they mail peice to go on a plane (local truck service can't keep the guarantee). These air plans do not belong to the postal service, they are owned and operated by FedEx. Dumb, I know. This service does come with a signature tracking free of charge.
Once the guarantee isn't met you are entitled a refund ONLY after it has been delivered or missing for a while. It can be very difficult to identify where the failure happened and why. I suspect that's why they told you they don't know when it's going to be delivered. There are just to many hands in the pot.

None of this is a good excuse and it's unfortunate to say the least. This happens more than I'd like to admit. If I could help, I would.

All this to say. We do drop the ball, sometimes more than others. However, shipping through any of us can be tricky and none of us are perfect.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Lol, no. Construction. Formwork carpenters and rodbusters are a pretty rough bunch.
I KNEW IT!!! Years ago i was a residential contractor but now I just do the building design.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I worked in the shipping/air freight industry many years ago. I think everyone should spend a few hours in one on the sort facilities of the USPS, FedEx, or UPS. It's amazing how many pieces of the puzzle have to come together perfectly for a package to get delivered to the correct address, on time. If just one of those pieces don't line up, the package is sent off to Timbuktu. I'm not making excuses for them because it is very frustrating when your package gets lost, but it's a miracle that millions of packages get delivered overnight and on-time, every day. We are truly spoiled.

gofishn

Reaction score
UPS or USPS, in that order, or I do not order the time, at all.
Sometimes, when Drunk on the Amazonian God's Offerings,I mistakenly order something that is FedEX or DHL.
If at possible, I cancel as quickly as I realize my error.
I would rather not have it, if it only comes Fedex or DHL.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I worked in the shipping/air freight industry many years ago. I think everyone should spend a few hours in one on the sort facilities of the USPS, FedEx, or UPS. It's amazing how many pieces of the puzzle have to come together perfectly for a package to get delivered to the correct address, on time. If just one of those pieces don't line up, the package is sent off to Timbuktu. I'm not making excuses for them because it is very frustrating when your package gets lost, but it's a miracle that millions of packages get delivered overnight and on-time, every day. We are truly spoiled.

This is true. With the UPS overnight document service it's remarkable how I drop the packet off at the box at 5pm and it's at a client's residence across the country by the next morning. However, the problem is we pay for the service. We understand the cost but then to not even have it delivered to the proper residence is pretty **** poor. The cherry on top was them taking no responsibility for the error. We don't mind the $25 to have it sent overnight, signature required, hand delivered. Heck...we've even had packets arrive a day late and we don't make a stink. Like I said though, to basically lie and say it was delivered and signed for at an address it never even went to, that wasn't the correct address in the first place (LOL)? That's pretty bad.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I seem to do OK with UPS. The rest? Give me a break. And ordering from Amazon? Those guys? What, go by Home Depo and hire the guys out front that said "Si, me deliver expert". No telling where that package will end up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I seem to do OK with UPS. The rest? Give me a break. And ordering from Amazon? Those guys? What, go by Home Depo and hire the guys out front that said "Si, me deliver expert". No telling where that package will end up.
I can't say I have seen a single Hispanic driver deliver Amazon packages to my house.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't say I have seen a single Hispanic driver deliver Amazon packages to my house.
I can't say I have ever seen a white guy deliver an Amazon package to my house...
They hire anyone and half the time don't even give them a truck so they just deliver packages out of their cars.
One time I saw some dude who looked like he was from another country who drove by my house for 45 minutes (it was tracking him on the app) and eventually started yelling out his window at houses asking if they knew where an address was. I live on "Main street" lol
I ended up going outside and just yelling when he was driving by again and he gave me my package through his passenger side window.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can't say I have ever seen a white guy deliver an Amazon package to my house...
They hire anyone and half the time don't even give them a truck so they just deliver packages out of their cars.
One time I saw some dude who looked like he was from another country who drove by my house for 45 minutes (it was tracking him on the app) and eventually started yelling out his window at houses asking if they knew where an address was. I live on "Main street" lol
I ended up going outside and just yelling when he was driving by again and he gave me my package through his passenger side window.
I've seen a few personal vehicles making deliveries, but that was a couple years ago. They have a **** ton of Amazon vans here in Omaha. Two large distribution centers one about 5 miles from my hiuseand one right across the river in Council Bluff, IA. They lease part of parking lot at local AAA baseball stadium to park the excess vans.

Users who are viewing this thread