5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need skid plates?

Mtsabo

Reaction score
It dosent sound like you need skid plates to me. I think you would be more then fine with the conventional axel as it has traction control and 4wd auto...

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
$795 is cheap for enhanced ability, confidence and protection. Does he really NEED them, as he describes, no. Could they come in handy? Yes. Will the ORG knock out some other option (like anti-spin), yes. He has to list them side by side and decide on the overall utility. Nobody really knows cept’ him.
It may add to ease of resale or better residual value as few BH’s have ORG...

Nibis

Reaction score
That's interesting. I thought i read you could have both Limited slip or anti slip and the E locker. It didn't make sense when i read it, but figured "what do I know...."

I'm getting the night package, so it has the anti slip.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people prefer the anti slip dif for snow/ice driving and it gives you auto 4, right?

The e locker removes the auto 4? E locker is better for mud and sand?

As understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong above, then for daily driving the anti slip is better for me... I doubt I need an e locker....

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
You will still have 4 auto with either, the Tradesman and Rebel don't have 4 Auto. The 4 Auto transfer case has a clutch design, the one in the Tradesman and Rebel has a chain

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be minuscule, were talking sheet metal not tank armor...maybe 5-10lbs ea. at the most
I think I saw somewhere they were like 60lbs. In the payload thread

EDIT: Just looked. 109lbs for the offroad group which includes the weight of the anti spin (about 20lbs). So they are significant.

My limited has them and I wish it didn't. I'll never go off road enough to justify them and I'd rather have the extra payload. My truck is a fat pig with 1190lbs of payload

Last edited:

Stevenc150

Reaction score
...109lbs for the offroad group which includes the weight of the anti spin (about 20lbs). So they are significant.
U referenced just the skid plates in ur 1st post...they are minuscule. If ur talking about the whole pkg...then yes, that's different

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I think I saw somewhere they were like 60lbs. In the payload thread

EDIT: Just looked. 109lbs for the offroad group which includes the weight of the anti spin (about 20lbs). So they are significant.

My limited has them and I wish it didn't. I'll never go off road enough to justify them and I'd rather have the extra payload. My truck is a fat pig with 1190lbs of payload
Man thats low. I have a Limited but I’m at 1476 per yellow sticker. Wonder what you have that I don't that‘s so heavy?

It’s not often a Ltd would ever need skidplates, just not the type of truck you’d off-road with. I’d think a BH would have enough payload to deal with the extra weight without issues.

Attachments

• 8BCCBCA7-90D6-426A-A71E-21A6E207E37F.jpeg
    8BCCBCA7-90D6-426A-A71E-21A6E207E37F.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 48

Veeten

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part # for the skid plate package? Id like direct bolt on, so I figured Mopar would be best.
My wife hit a piece of plywood on the interstate, and it kicked it up just right and poked a hole in the transmission pan. (Why is this plastic?)
Anyway after waiting for two months for a replacement transmission, I'd like to add this protection. You just never know what could hit your undercarriage.

Boston

Reaction score
Order the $395 protection group. Where you are going, tow hooks could come in useful.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
No, you don't need skid plates to drive up a fire road or some back gravel road that might have a fallen limb in it. It's a truck. It will take more than you think. Boneheads bash up trucks on jobsites everyday that is more serious off roading than the majority of owners will ever see. Those are stripped down Tradesmen trucks. They don't miss a beat.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the skid plates just to defend from all the crap on the road.

A few years ago the car in front kicked up the truck retread in the middle of the road.

It hit my bumper did a few loud clunks under the floorboard as it worked it’s way out the back.

When I was about seventeen in heavy traffic in Houston the car in front swerved to avoid a box and with no place to go I hit the box.

It got trapped under the car so I pull over to find a one gallon gas can was inside the box.

Yes it was leaking and yes the can was metal but the box was crumpled enough to keep the can from strike the road creating a spark.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ordered the skid plates just to defend from all the crap on the road.

A few years ago the car in front kicked up the truck retread in the middle of the road.

It hit my bumper did a few loud clunks under the floorboard as it worked it’s way out the back.

When I was about seventeen in heavy traffic in Houston the car in front swerved to avoid a box and with no place to go I hit the box.

It got trapped under the car so I pull over to find a one gallon gas can was inside the box.

Yes it was leaking and yes the can was metal but the box was crumpled enough to keep the can from strike the road creating a spark.
I was wondering what ever happened to that old gas can. :p

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part # for the skid plate package? Id like direct bolt on, so I figured Mopar would be best.
My wife hit a piece of plywood on the interstate, and it kicked it up just right and poked a hole in the transmission pan. (Why is this plastic?)
Anyway after waiting for two months for a replacement transmission, I'd like to add this protection. You just never know what could hit your undercarriage.
There is no protection for transmission pan from skid plates.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering what ever happened to that old gas can. :p

You used up one of my cat lives that day. It could have been bad because it was jammed right about at the front doors making it almost impossible to escape it had lit off. Oil is at $80 per barrel so skid plates are going to be a must have option for your Ram truck with the Mad Max Road Warrior package.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is no protection for transmission pan from skid plates.
You would need this:

Users who are viewing this thread