5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I need skid plates?

Yogi217

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm new here and joined so I could make an informed decision on my truck. The new ram BH 1500 is one I'm considering. The other is the custom trail boss.

Coming from a wrangler, then f-150 fx4, I've always had skid plates. Obviously they are not standard on the BH, so I'm wondering if I really need them?

I don't plan to take this on trails. I do live out in the woods of the Northeast. After wind storms there can be lots of debris and sticks, etc and even branches down on the roads. Since we are on the outskirts, our roads are last to get cleaned in such cases.

I'll take the truck onto dirt access roads when trailering our future horse. I'll take it on dirt access roads and parking lots when skiing/snowboarding in VT, NY, and MA.

I'll drive it off road when getting our Christmas tree at the tree farm.

That's about it. Maybe the occasional field or dirt road to get to a fishing spot or kayak launch.

Are they necessary? What are your thoughts?

I'm finding it hard to find BHs with protection group. I'm having more success with searching for trucks with the off road group.

Anyway, would love to hear from some actual owners who live in the sticks or take their trucks to the sticks when not in the city.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Better safe than sorry... I personally am going to grab an aftermarket engine trans skid and then see about the rest. I’m like you in that I don’t plan on hardcore stuff, I only bought 4wd for the beach and to not get stuck in my backyard lol. But I’m paranoid so I’ll spend the money to get them.

Yogi217

Reaction score
@Nukegm426 Thanks. Are you getting aftermarket and just adding them piece by piece?

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Wait are u trying to decide between which truck to get? If the hang up on the ram is skid plates then u can always buy the mopar skid plates for a couple hundred and add yourself. But from what u described u dont need them imo.

The first couple hundred I'd spend would be on a hellwig swaybar; now that's a must have!

STR

Reaction score
I was under my Rebel installing an exhaust system and inspected the skid plates. They’re actually solid. I had them on other previous vehicles and was underwhelmed. If you decide to get them, the equipment is pretty substantial for OEM, and might actually provide protection. It’s one of those things that it’s better to have and not need, than to need and not have. BTW, the gas tank is plastic... if that helps.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Should also note, neither of my rebels had skid plates but it didnt stop me from a few novice trails. Now that I think on it, the nerf bars were more necessary in trailing than skids. [See pic of my truck sitting on them] many times saved the underside of my truck from hitting because of the bars. And not to mention those idiots that open their doors into u...hit the bars instead my truck side several times at gas pumps!
Attach36779_20190903_082310.jpg Attach36777_20190903_082304.jpg 20190902_152745.jpg

STR

Reaction score
^^^ Skid plates are standard equipment on the Gen 5 Rebel. I’m surprised that they weren’t on earlier Gens...

Stevenc150

Reaction score
^^^ Skid plates are standard equipment on the Gen 5 Rebel. I’m surprised that they weren’t on earlier Gens...
Nope neither my '16 or '18 had the "protection pkg". I personally thot that should've been a standard on a model aimed at the offroad crowd

highgear2005

Reaction score
From your use, you’d be fine without the skid plates. Maybe it’s just how I role, but spending $40k + for a truck and taking it off-road is silly to me. I’d rather use my side by side. Where if I wreck it. I’m not crying over it. In my younger days we bought used trucks that where already beaten, for our four wheeler needs. Some of the best times in my life, where spend in those beaters , with my buddy’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nibis

Reaction score
Someone posted the part numbers of the skid plates, but can't locate them now, LOL

Stevenc150

Reaction score
From your use, you’d be fine without the skid plates. Maybe it’s just how I role, but spending $40k + for a truck and taking it off-road is silly to me. I’d rather use my side by side. Where if I wreck it. I’m not crying over it. In my younger days we bought used trucks that where already beaten, for our four wheeler needs. Some of the best times in my life, where spend in those beaters , with my buddy’s.
I pay 40k+ for a truck, I bought it for its versatility for on or off the road. If I wreck it, I'm not crying because I'm the one at fault. That's how I role

The OPs request was for advice regarding light offroading, which a 40k truck should be perfectly capable of. Ur point only makes sense if were talking serious offroading...at which point the truck wasnt designed for that and it's an apples-to-oranges thing

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
Based on what I'm hearing from you, my opinion is that you don't need them. I live in AZ, and have a 2020 Ram Rebel with factory skids, which I'd consider to be of marginal quality. That said, I offroad often, and we have a lot of trails here of varying conditions. I don't rock crawl, or wheel as they call it, nor will I ever. I didn't do it with my lifted 2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon sitting on 35" wheels either. I've not been over anything rocks or otherwise, that's hit any of my skid plates or made me glad they are installed. If I were you, I wouldn't bother.

79 300

Reaction score
With my last truck I hit a deer. It went under the truck, then thumped and banged its way underneath and finally came out the back. I wasn't off road, but was driving on the highway going to work.
The truck didn't suffer any damage other than a cracked grill, but the way it sounded underneath, I was glad it had skid plates. We all have encountered the tire retread or muffler laying on the interstate that might be impossible to avoid. Skid plates could save you there as well.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
For the main skid then will probably either make one for the diff or buy the factory one... still haven’t found anything reasonable for the gas tank though.

@Nukegm426 Thanks. Are you getting aftermarket and just adding them piece by piece?

Yogi217

Reaction score
Thank you all. I definitely agree on the bull bar and side steps. I had them on my jeep and not on my fx4, and the amount of marks from people opening their doors was insane.

I agree, most damage, if at all, will be from road debris on these back roads and highway litter. As i thought more, the ORG may be a good idea because of the skids and hill descent. I live in a very hilly area and we get a lot of snow and ice in the winter. I'm use to going in 2nd and letting the tranny do the braking.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As i thought more, the ORG may be a good idea because of the skids and hill descent.
Make sure you look at the entire package. It comes with the e-locker in the rear only. You cannot get the anti-spin if you opt for the ORG. It's a deal-breaker for some.

Here's what you get in the ORG package:

ORG.jpg

A deal for the price IMO. One thing I didn't realize was that the spare on non-ORG trucks is not necessarily a standard (regular) tire. With the ORG the spare is the same size wheel (albeit steel) as the regular ones and is the same Falken ATW3A tire as what's on the ground.

"Full-size spare" was something I really didn't pay attention to when I was looking at trucks since I was only looking at ORG trucks.

One thing to note: the 4 skid plates have been discussed since the 5th gen came out. RAM still lists 4 but there are really only 3. The front suspension and steering gear skid plates are the same one.

Yogi217

Reaction score
That's interesting. I thought i read you could have both Limited slip or anti slip and the E locker. It didn't make sense when i read it, but figured "what do I know...."

I'm getting the night package, so it has the anti slip.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but people prefer the anti slip dif for snow/ice driving and it gives you auto 4, right?

The e locker removes the auto 4? E locker is better for mud and sand?

As understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong above, then for daily driving the anti slip is better for me... I doubt I need an e locker....

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How much do the skiplates weigh? They will hurt your payload a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread