5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I buy one? What would you do different?

spikerS

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time posting. I am pretty much a signature away from pulling the trigger on a '19 sport with the 5.7 and trading in my '16 F150 3.5L ecoboost. The interior of the new Rams are very appealing to me, and I am not too proud to say that they have smoked Ford in terms of comfort, touch, and visual points.

However, I am nervous. I am now doing my due diligence process. I am a Ford boy through and through. This is my 3rd F-150, and the second one with the 3.5L ecoboost. I also bought my wife a Ford Focus that she loves. The Ecoboost has been rock solid for me, and has gobs of power and can pull a mountain over if I feel the need. I also get pretty good gas mileage out of it too, just not when towing.

For those of you that have purchased the '19 Ram, how do you like it? Is there anything you would change or do differently? Is there anything you might do differently? How reliable is the 5.7L? Are there any points in the truck prone to failure?

Are there any other F150 owners that switched to the '19 Ram? regrets?

Not that it matters, but I am also in Canada...

Cheers,
spikerS

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too have been a loyal ford owner. I saw the new rams and just had to have one. Only advice I can give is make sure to get a later build date and go over the truck with a fine tooth comb. Check the carpet for wet spots check the rear wall of the truck if it has the pano room to make sure the grommets are in place correctly. TEST drive the truck for several miles at various speeds to make sure there are no odd noises.

Make sure it has what you want do not settle.

I love my ram. Have I had issues? Yes. They are hopefully fixed now. I had a June build date so still had some gremlins but seems good now. The interior and features to me are second to none. A limited F-150 versus a limited ram is not even close in my opinion.

In the end but and be happy because no matter what hat anyone says there is always something with any brand.

geotex1

Reaction score
Sign on the line friend!

You have NOTHING to worry about with a 5.7 Hemi assuming you are not asking about eTorque (not my cup of tea). The 5.7 Hemi is tried and true and has a phenomenal band, and I was solely a GM guy till I bought a 4th Gen Sport which I traded in for my 2019 Laramie.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has been solid. Drive mine everyday on my 80 mile round trip commute. Almost 15k miles.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leave the v
Hi all,

First time posting. I am pretty much a signature away from pulling the trigger on a '19 sport with the 5.7 and trading in my '16 F150 3.5L ecoboost. The interior of the new Rams are very appealing to me, and I am not too proud to say that they have smoked Ford in terms of comfort, touch, and visual points.

However, I am nervous. I am now doing my due diligence process. I am a Ford boy through and through. This is my 3rd F-150, and the second one with the 3.5L ecoboost. I also bought my wife a Ford Focus that she loves. The Ecoboost has been rock solid for me, and has gobs of power and can pull a mountain over if I feel the need. I also get pretty good gas mileage out of it too, just not when towing.

For those of you that have purchased the '19 Ram, how do you like it? Is there anything you would change or do differently? Is there anything you might do differently? How reliable is the 5.7L? Are there any points in the truck prone to failure?

Cheers,
spikerS

You got a daughter? Give her the V6 Ford, get yourself a HEMI.......

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have only driven Ford trucls my whole life, I have had probably 8 of them most recently a 2018 F-150 Platinum 5.0, prior to it a 2016 F-150 Platinum EcoBoost 3.5l, 2013 F-150 Platinum 3.5l, the list continues :)

This truck is better than anything I have driven to date and I wouldn't hesitate getitng one. The Sport is a great looking truck.. The Ford forums are filled with the same complaints, from water leaks to vibration or whatever. We have proof that FCA is listening to us via TSB, UConnect updates and suggestions.

Go for it!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm very happy with the truck and dealership. Some issues getting the manual but it is getting worked out. It's a new model so I guess there will be growing pains. Test drove the Ford F-150 3 times and was "attached" to the Ram before I got out of the parking lot. Motortrend Truck of the Year - speaks for the Ram.

I did not add the Bed Utility Group (BUG) (sprayed in liner, bed lighting, cargo tie down and bed divider) to my Bighorn. On the build site it is listed at $845. NOW I'm adding Line X for 600+ and cargo tie down 200+. Could of had bed lighting and divider for same price or a little less depending on dealer discount.
I have used my 2001 1500 with just a heavy bed mat and has served me well. I did not see the need for Line X. The Line X is a gift. The cargo tie down I'm adding now because there are 6-8 hexagon holes on each side that will have rivet nuts installed in order to attach the cargo tie down. I do not want to deal with the bed liner compound in the holes later on.

I would say the BUG is priced well at $845 vs aftermarket and probably worth ordering, depending on your use and needs.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
My 3 previous trucks were a 13 F150 Lariat 3.5 eco, 15 F150 Lariat 3.5 eco, 16 F150 Platinum 5.0 traded with 19k miles on it. Great trucks but when i drove a new Limited it really worked on me, never had a Ram truck before. Thought about it for several weeks. Finally ordered exactly what i wanted and really happy i did.

Agitated

Reaction score
I have nothing bad to say about my truck and I love it. Having said that, I wish I would have bought a 17 or 18 model that are plentiful on dealer lots at crazy deep discounts and rebates. It would have been a much better financial decision.

Old Ray

Reaction score
I traded in a Ford F150 in on a Limited and I am also from Canada. I think the gas mileage on the hemi is terrible compared to the ecoboost V6, but I don't care. Without a doubt the Limited is the best riding truck I have ever had. The block heater cord is to short. Because of not paying attention I got caught in the tow mirror debacle, FCA and their dealers could not care less.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had two F150s, the latest had the 3.5 Ecoboost. Since, I am now on my second Ram and did look at F-150s again before buying my 19 Ram, just to be 100% certain, I was 99% sure already. ;)

Trading a 16 F-150 in for a 19 Ram though is questionable. I never like to question people and their spending but you’re going to lose some money so it’s wants over needs as that F-150 is a perfectly capable truck.

79 300

Reaction score
The tow mirror debacle was the main factor causing me to order my truck. About 90% of the trucks on dealer lots around here had the towing package. I could have gotten a better price on one in stock, but It wasn't what I wanted.

I wouldn't have known about the manual fold and NO heat unless I joined here. The window stickers said heated and power fold on the left side and I didn't know it was lost with the tow mirrors. I am getting standard mirrors with the trailer brake controller. I feel bad for everyone that got burnt by this mess.

Maple

Reaction score
I found a truck today build date of March that has the old verbiage on the window sticker and can definitely see how it can be misleading. I'm glad they've clarified it now on the stickers, but I don't understand why dealers keep ordering the packages together. Makes no sense to pay more twice and get less.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I had a 2014 F150 FX2 Tremor with the 1st gen 3.5L EcoBoost and 4.10's so my Gas Mileage wasn't phenomenal. (Could not get over the sound of that V6 thought despite how quick that truck was:sick:) and my EcoBoost started giving me issues at 65K miles

Like you I was raised Ford through and through (parents both have a 13 and 15 F150 with the 5.0 which is a rocket! To say the least)

The new Ram is what caught my eye, specifically the Rebel, I'm only 1500 Miles thus far on my truck but so far it's been reliable,

As for how I like it?

I love it, Ram by and far moved the bar on Truck interiors, when it comes to handling this 4x4 truck handles and rides better than my Tremor did,

Power wise, on paper the 5.0 is faster but comparible to the 5.7L Hemi, having driven both truck and knowing my truck is Heavier,.it ****s and gets just fine and it's not noticeably slower than either a 5.0 or my Tremor BUT I don't race either.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1544144635107.jpg
    FB_IMG_1544144635107.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20181119_103307.jpg
    20181119_103307.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
S

Smashy71

E
Hi all,

Cheers,
spikerS

Expand your horizons. Ford makes a great truck and so does Chevy but ram makes a work of art. Pull the trigger and get out of your comfort zone with brand loyalty. I was once a ford fanatic.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love this truck. So refined and quiet. My wife thinks I'm nuts ordering a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust for it as it will lose the quiet interior somewhat. It's a HEMI so it needs to sound like one. Too bad one of the exhaust companies don't build a 2 route exhaust that you could have cutout valve plumbed to tips and can change from whisper quiet to growl! IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3296.JPG IMG_3291.JPG IMG_3294.JPG

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been a Chevy guy my whole life and the new GM products are not what I'd hoped for. I also looked at the Ford offerings, but nothing compared to RAM. I've got an issue with the sunshade on the panoramic sunroof that I'll be getting looked at next month, but other than that, I'm tickled pink with my new Limited. I had more problems with a Mercedes Benz GL 450 than I've had with my new truck. I find excuses to get out of the house and into the truck.

spikerS

Reaction score
So this is the truck I am looking at. Opinions?

Remember this is in CAD, roughly getting a $14,000 discount on the truck.

Attachments

• red truck.pdf
    211.8 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread