5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Spray Bedliner

downsjh

Reaction score
I didn’t see much about DIY bedliner, so i thought I would share my experience.

I chose UPOL Raptor kit, black from amazon, $129. Removed tailgate , and the access panel from the tailgate. So I had the bed, tailgate, and panel to spray. Taped and covered everything in plastic due to overspray.

Sanded entire area with 80grit sandpaper. By hand, power tools seemed cumbersome due to curves and wanted to be sure just to rough the surface, and not removed paint.

Cleaned with TSP cleaner. Sprayed first coat, light. But still used first two bottles. Let dry 1 hour, then did second coat. Sprayed heavy on floor on bed, light on sides.

Looks awesome. Chose DIY to save money, protected from Arizona sun by Tonneau cover. May put down rubber mat to take it easy on my knees. IMG_0330.jpg IMG_0328.jpg IMG_0336.jpg IMG_0337.jpg IMG_0338.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocko

Reaction score
Looks like you did a great job! I've often wondered how that stuff will hold up and handle the sun. I personally put in the weather tech bed liner doesn't come up the bed sides but for a couple inches but alright for now.

NewToRAM

Reaction score
Wow, you really did a professional looking job, Nice work!

downsjh

Reaction score
I’ll give an update in a few months to how it holds up.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
You did a great job! Why did you remove those panels from the tailgate? Did you spray them too but separately?

downsjh

Reaction score
You did a great job! Why did you remove those panels from the tailgate? Did you spray them too but separately?
I removed the panel, so I could access the wiring for the camera and handle. 1. If I decide to modify anything that needs me to tap into the wires (bed lights, keyfob release, etc). 2. If something fails and needs to be reworked by dealer, they won't have to cut the screws and bed liner away.
Yes, I sprayrf the tailgate with a piece of cardboard instead of the panel, and spray the panel separately. Then reinstalled, still fit perfectly. Since screws are black, then don't stand out. Added 30min to the total time, so not a big effort.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I removed the panel, so I could access the wiring for the camera and handle. 1. If I decide to modify anything that needs me to tap into the wires (bed lights, keyfob release, etc). 2. If something fails and needs to be reworked by dealer, they won't have to cut the screws and bed liner away.
Yes, I sprayrf the tailgate with a piece of cardboard instead of the panel, and spray the panel separately. Then reinstalled, still fit perfectly. Since screws are black, then don't stand out. Added 30min to the total time, so not a big effort.
That makes sense. I was just wondering and hadn’t thought about future access

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I didn’t see much about DIY bedliner, so i thought I would share my experience.

I chose UPOL Raptor kit, black from amazon, $129. Removed tailgate , and the access panel from the tailgate. So I had the bed, tailgate, and panel to spray. Taped and covered everything in plastic due to overspray.

Sanded entire area with 80grit sandpaper. By hand, power tools seemed cumbersome due to curves and wanted to be sure just to rough the surface, and not removed paint.

Cleaned with TSP cleaner. Sprayed first coat, light. But still used first two bottles. Let dry 1 hour, then did second coat. Sprayed heavy on floor on bed, light on sides.

Looks awesome. Chose DIY to save money, protected from Arizona sun by Tonneau cover. May put down rubber mat to take it easy on my knees. View attachment 32935 View attachment 32936 View attachment 32937 View attachment 32938 View attachment 32939

Magnificent job. Congrats!

rob989_69

Reaction score
I'm curious, did you tape off the holes in the bed and bed sides? I'm about to do a roll on liner myself.

downsjh

Reaction score
I'm curious, did you tape off the holes in the bed and bed sides? I'm about to do a roll on liner myself.

No, I did remove the plastic caps( 2 on bottom left, 2 for bed light locations).

Holes didn’t shrink too much or fill in.

downsjh

Reaction score
Used it for lumber, mulch and it’s held up well. Tonneau cover has protected from Arizona sun.

Haven’t tried it with anything harsher.

Kxlexus

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread