5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Herculiner

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I would take the time to prep the bed properly. I realize it would take some manual labor on my part, but I don't think the prep would be too difficult, especially with the smaller RamBox bed. It would be way cheaper than a professional installation. However, after seeing PowerJRod's comment, I will reconsider using this product.
Last I'm gonna say anything on this thread.

If you do it yourself I'd expect 5+ hours of hard work just to prep the bed. I can't stress this enough, prep is the key to things like bed liner and powder coating. If you take shortcuts you end up with a product that looks great for 2 weeks until it tears because you only took 2 hours to "prep" the surface. When I take on projects like this I put my hourly rate against what it costs to pay someone else. 5+ hours of hard labor, plus several hours to paint it correctly, plus a day to cure, and $600 to drop it off at a shop for a day or two starts to look pretty good. To me it's definitely not worth it for a lease. Use a bed mat, and call it a day.

I used the Herculiner spray on the roof of my Titan when the clear coat faded after a decade in the sun. I sanded, then wire brushed, then extensively cleaned the roof to where there was barely any paint left, and it took around 3 hours. Then I sprayed 3 coats, which took all of an hour.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it based on that picture. They're not going to gig you on that. Nissan sent me a "lease return guide" last time I leased that had examples of acceptable dents, scratches, interior stains and tears, etc. That scratch wouldn't even register being inside the bed.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Last I'm gonna say anything on this thread.

If you do it yourself I'd expect 5+ hours of hard work just to prep the bed. I can't stress this enough, prep is the key to things like bed liner and powder coating. If you take shortcuts you end up with a product that looks great for 2 weeks until it tears because you only took 2 hours to "prep" the surface. When I take on projects like this I put my hourly rate against what it costs to pay someone else. 5+ hours of hard labor, plus several hours to paint it correctly, plus a day to cure, and $600 to drop it off at a shop for a day or two starts to look pretty good. To me it's definitely not worth it for a lease. Use a bed mat, and call it a day.

I used the Herculiner spray on the roof of my Titan when the clear coat faded after a decade in the sun. I sanded, then wire brushed, then extensively cleaned the roof to where there was barely any paint left, and it took around 3 hours. Then I sprayed 3 coats, which took all of an hour.
It's all good. I understand your thought process and the way you weigh your time and labor vs dropping it off. I wouldn't have started the thread if I didn't want honest feedback. I really value this forum and everyone on here to help me realize my own limitations for DIY projects and for helpful advice. So your feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it based on that picture. They're not going to gig you on that. Nissan sent me a "lease return guide" last time I leased that had examples of acceptable dents, scratches, interior stains and tears, etc. That scratch wouldn't even register being inside the bed.
I was really nervous about leasing a truck, knowing how I like to help people haul stuff. My salesman said it is just part of the the normal wear and tear expectations, but I didn't really trust anything he said. Thank you for your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread