5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY Herculiner

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I need to add a truck bed liner, but don't want to spend $600 for a Line-X on a leased truck. I have watched the YouTube video and read many reviews on Amazon. Has any one had any personal experience using this on their truck? I definitely think one can will be more than enough for two coats on my RamBox bed. I will still be using my DeeZee 4x8 universal bed mat to cover the floor and tailgate. Opinions and feedback are appreciated.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think there’s some better diy’s than herculiner. I’ve used it, and after a year or two, it fades, shrinks, and just erodes and thins out.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How is the DIY bed liner gonna effect you when it’s time to turn in your lease?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nburd

Reaction score
I bought a duraliner drop in liner. I thought they were $250-300 but when I called the local shop the price was super cheap. I am impressed with the fit, quality and cost of $149 installed. It even comes with cut outs for the bed lights if you have them and rubber seals for the eye hooks and tailgate cover. I put a good coat of paste wax on the bed before It was installed. I too was debating a paint in product but the cost of the Duraliner won, hands down. Also, on a lease you can sell it after for at least 25% of what you invested. The time to do your own paint yourself and prep is certainly
something you need to factor. If you want some Picts let me know.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
How is the DIY bed liner gonna effect you when it’s time to turn in your lease?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wouldn't think it wouldn't be any different than having a Line-X professionally installed, as long as it looks good after I do the DIY. So I can't imagine that it would affect the lease turn in, or trade in if I go that route.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I bought a duraliner drop in liner. I thought they were $250-300 but when I called the local shop the price was super cheap. I am impressed with the fit, quality and cost of $149 installed. It even comes with cut outs for the bed lights if you have them and rubber seals for the eye hooks and tailgate cover. I put a good coat of paste wax on the bed before It was installed. I too was debating a paint in product but the cost of the Duraliner won, hands down. Also, on a lease you can sell it after for at least 25% of what you invested. The time to do your own paint yourself and prep is certainly
something you need to factor. If you want some Picts let me know.
I have not found a drop in liner that fits the RamBox. I keep hearing that the drop-in liners will scratch the bed, but what does that matter if it's going to be under the liner? I did see a YouTube video showing where water can get in under the liner and cause rust. It was actually a video of someone doing a DIY bed liner after correcting rust spots from the drop in liner.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother with a liner on a leased truck unless you plan on denting the hell out of the sidewalls. If you have a bed mat the bed is going to look acceptable for a turn-in. I would not do a DIY bedliner on a leased truck. There is going to be an acceptable prep method for a permanent bedliner and you aren't going to be able to counteract their claim if they gig you on it. I've leased a couple of trucks before and had no problems whatsoever for bed wear and tear.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With bed liner proper prep is 75% of the work. For a leased truck, are you going to take the time and initiative to sand down the bed and thoroughly clean it to prep for lining? That Herculiner is ok, but it is very bumpy/hard. I used it on the inside of my old Red Ryder wagon (30+ years old) that I restored for my son. I ended up stripping what I did (not easy) and reapplying just the paint after letting all the texture chips settle to the bottom.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need to add a truck bed liner, but don't want to spend $600 for a Line-X on a leased truck. I have watched the YouTube video and read many reviews on Amazon. Has any one had any personal experience using this on their truck? I definitely think one can will be more than enough for two coats on my RamBox bed. I will still be using my DeeZee 4x8 universal bed mat to cover the floor and tailgate. Opinions and feedback are appreciated.

Don't do it!!!!! I did it on my 2019 and it started peeling off this weekend after moving a sectional sofa. Besides...not worth it on a leased truck anyway. Just put down a mat if anything. Here's a pic....looks like this in the ENTIRE bed. This is after a proper 2 hours of prep work too! 20200830_111305.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why would you spend anything to protect the bed on a leased truck. Are you planning to haul rock/gravel, or maybe cinder blocks? A certain amount of wear and tear is expected in a truck bed. Did they tell you otherwise when you signed for the truck?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't do it!!!!! I did it on my 2019 and it started peeling off this weekend after moving a sectional sofa. Besides...not worth it on a leased truck anyway. Just put down a mat if anything. Here's a pic....looks like this in the ENTIRE bed. This is after a proper 2 hours of prep work too!
If that's white paint from your white truck underneath that liner it's not properly prepped. Anyone that tells you the liner will stick on top of the paint is lying to you.

nburd

Reaction score
I have not found a drop in liner that fits the RamBox. I keep hearing that the drop-in liners will scratch the bed, but what does that matter if it's going to be under the liner? I did see a YouTube video showing where water can get in under the liner and cause rust. It was actually a video of someone doing a DIY bed liner after correcting rust spots from the drop in liner.
Sorry, I did not see that you had Ramboxes. You are right, limited options. Maybe just go with a Mat. My 13 had a mat and Tonneau during my Lease and kept the bed looking pretty good. I had a few scratches at turn in, but they do not count towards lease damage. I provided a heavy coat of wax before the installation of the liner and have a Tonneau over the back so any moisture will be limited. I do not anticipate any water getting under my liner. Good luck.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If that's white paint from your white truck underneath that liner it's not properly prepped. Anyone that tells you the liner will stick on top of the paint is lying to you.
You mean the bed wasn't properly prepped....guess what...it was thoroughly prepped. And I don't see any photos of your Herculiner after use of the bed. Herculiner is JUNK!!!! I have the photos to prove it. After 2 hours of prep work and another 3 hours of applying the liner. It's crap. Go ahead...try it yourself...you'll see.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that looks exactly how my herculiner came out in my last truck. its not a good product. I wouldn't use it again or recommend it. Even if you don't use your bed, it won't last..Its not a UV stable product. It turns to chalky after a year. Anything you put in your bed, if you kneel down, etc will turn black.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that looks exactly how my herculiner came out in my last truck. its not a good product. I wouldn't use it again or recommend it. Even if you don't use your bed, it won't last..Its not a UV stable product. It turns to chalky after a year. Anything you put in your bed, if you kneel down, etc will turn black.
Yep! I think the Rust-Oleum spray on stuff is better than Herculiner lol! I might have mine stripped off and just buy a drop-in liner....

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
A lot of good feedback on here, and I appreciate everyone's opinions. I probably should have included this in my original post, but I do currently have a bed mat that protects the floor of the bed, but I do not have anything to protect the sides. That was no big deal until I was helping someone move and they scratched the back wall of my bed and now it has me thinking I need more protection. I can never expect someone else to take care of my truck during the moving process the way I would care for it myself, so it just has me thinking. Here is my current setup and here is the picture of the scratch that has my head spinning. It was from someone throwing bed rails in my truck.

Attachments

• 15989162140632504613654397222383.jpg
    15989162140632504613654397222383.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 1598916331413927607476864058456.jpg
    1598916331413927607476864058456.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 32

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
With bed liner proper prep is 75% of the work. For a leased truck, are you going to take the time and initiative to sand down the bed and thoroughly clean it to prep for lining? That Herculiner is ok, but it is very bumpy/hard. I used it on the inside of my old Red Ryder wagon (30+ years old) that I restored for my son. I ended up stripping what I did (not easy) and reapplying just the paint after letting all the texture chips settle to the bottom.
Yes, I would take the time to prep the bed properly. I realize it would take some manual labor on my part, but I don't think the prep would be too difficult, especially with the smaller RamBox bed. It would be way cheaper than a professional installation. However, after seeing PowerJRod's comment, I will reconsider using this product.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I would take the time to prep the bed properly. I realize it would take some manual labor on my part, but I don't think the prep would be too difficult, especially with the smaller RamBox bed. It would be way cheaper than a professional installation. However, after seeing PowerJRod's comment, I will reconsider using this product.
Sorry for the bad news lol. If you don't mind doing the prep work...I'd seriously consider using the Rust-Oleum spray on truck bed coating (maybe 2 coats)...since you already have a mat on the bottom. It will easily prevent those types of scrapes and scratches. I only tried the Herculiner since it was supposed to be thicker....smh. lol.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
Sorry for the bad news lol. If you don't mind doing the prep work...I'd seriously consider using the Rust-Oleum spray on truck bed coating (maybe 2 coats)...since you already have a mat on the bottom. It will easily prevent those types of scrapes and scratches. I only tried the Herculiner since it was supposed to be thicker....smh. lol.
I appreciate your honest feedback. I often wonder if I am getting too deep into my projects, which is why I started the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread