5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY brakes

klotz50

Reaction score
Update - just did the back pads and rotors at 39k miles. My pads were down to nothing - one was less than a mm away from metal. Actually couldn't find new hardware (spring and clips) anywhere so cleaned and reused what I had. Few notes:
-Electronic parking brake retractor works like a champ. On a $120,000 BMW you have to hook up a computer to retract. I love RAM has a box to click in the menu. Easey peasey.
-May be normal on trucks but both back brakes have a parking brake on them. Still plenty of room to work.
-After having a really tough time with the rotor retaining screw on the fronts - I gave these a hard bang with a socket extender and a hammer....came out easy. Make sure to do this first as the retaining screw is cheap and will easily strip.
-Rotors were super rusted on (truck gets a lot of miles and a lot of road salt and not enough washes) and it doesn't seem like RAM applies any anti seize before installing them. Popped them off by using a nut/bolt washer through the lower caliper mounting bolt hole. Hold the nut with a wrench and turn the bolt with my impact wrench and boom. Pops right off. If you do this - make sure you have a few bolts...when I went to reuse the one I used for the first rotor - the bolt snapped! video where I got the idea here:
What size torx bolt is it?

Users who are viewing this thread