5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DIY amber grill light install.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Aloha all,

Love the look of amber lights in the grill, just not many options for the 5th Gen grills. I liked the Rough Country LED lights in the pocket idea, but wasn't big on the white LED's.
Ended up ordering a set on Amazon, $14.99 for 8 amber bullet lamps. Upon receiving the LED's, I realized that they were trailer clearance lights, and not quite what I expected, but I intended to figure it out.
Tried several different mounting locations, but kept reverting back to the grill pockets. Because of the design of LED's, mounting them required a panel of some sort. Mounting them anywhere else on the grill meant trying to blend said panel into the location effectively, and not just "thrown" in there.

I had some sheets of ABS plastic sheets for modeling. Along with the plastic sheets I used:

3M heavy duty 2-way tape
3/4 wide rubber weather stripping
A Dremel to make the holes in the plastic, and a stand grinder for finishing.

Cut two strips out of the plastic, and shaped to fit into the grill cavities. Made 3 holes in each panel, 6 lights total to be mounted

After laying out the wiring, it kind of just came together after that.
I attached bullet connectors on each end of wiring on both panels, so I can remove them individually, and disconnect from power without having to disconnect ALL of the wiring.
I have power tapped from the trailer parking lights fuse in the fuse block under the hood, all nice and tidy.
I have the wiring wrapped in black wire wrap, and guided through behind the grill to the block and frame (for ground) The wiring is fed through the cavity, and I guided them through the rear of the grill. As I guided the wiring through the rear of the grill, I needed to remove the plastic shroud over the radiator to ease access. I was able to take up the slack on the extra wiring from there, and keep it as invisible as possible behind the grill.
I may re-route the wiring down under the front, and then back up. Seems overkill, but currently the wiring is just kind of there behind the grill hanging, but because of the black wrap, you can't see it. Will see how long my OCD will let it go.

Anyways, the cavity just so happens to be about the same width as the 2-way tape, so I loaded it up within the empty spaces of the panels, then stuck the weather stripping on top of the 2 way tape, leaving the edges of the tape exposed for mounting,
The panels are lodged into the cavity, pretty much just stuck in there by the weather stripping. The tape just completely stuck the whole panel to the black grill plastic behind in the cavity. I tested removal, and it was like removing my emblems, slow and tedious, but it came off. Cleaned the cavity, and remounted the panel.
I was actually pretty self conscious of it the first few days thinking it was gonna pop out or something.

It has been over 9 days since the install, a few rainy trips to work and back, probably about 2-300 miles on them so far, and they are stuck like glue. No electrical issues to report, either.
I dig how it comes on when I remote start.
Amazed at how it came out from what I started with. Am more amazed that the mouse and wheel in my head can still turn some ideas out, LOL.

For $14.99 for the lights, already had the plastic, weather stripping and wire wraps, misc., $4 bucks for the tape, a few hours out of my day off to work on it, I'm pretty satisfied.
Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Resized_20210531_174240.jpg
    Resized_20210531_174240.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 316
  • Resized_20210531_174202.jpg
    Resized_20210531_174202.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Resized_20210531_181524.jpg
    Resized_20210531_181524.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 279
  • Resized_20210531_181557.jpg
    Resized_20210531_181557.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 357
  • Resized_20210531_194453.jpg
    Resized_20210531_194453.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 376
  • Resized_20210601_202958.jpg
    Resized_20210601_202958.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 377
  • Resized_20210610_122204.jpg
    Resized_20210610_122204.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 368
  • Resized_20210610_122151.jpg
    Resized_20210610_122151.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 338

brenan00

Reaction score
That looks really nice.
Could you set them up to work with the turn signals?
Would that be a wiring mod or alpha obd or both?

Thumbs5th

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I briefly looked for something similar but gave up. This may get me going again someday.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks really nice.
Could you set them up to work with the turn signals?
Would that be a wiring mod or alpha obd or both?
I thought of that. I believe it would involve a relay of some sort for the blink, and tying it into the turn signal circuit. Would it work, possibly. In my opinion, The trailer circuit would be be the best for a wiring mod without a pcm update or something. But again, vehicles nowadays…you at the mercy of your pcm, tread with care…lol.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I briefly looked for something similar but gave up. This may get me going again someday.
I feel you. There are very limited options for this grill…needed to get creative to make it work for me.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
I thought of that. I believe it would involve a relay of some sort for the blink, and tying it into the turn signal circuit. Would it work, possibly. In my opinion, The trailer circuit would be be the best for a wiring mod without a pcm update or something. But again, vehicles nowadays…you at the mercy of your pcm, tread with care…lol.

I added these LED strips just under my headlights and tied them into my DRL circuit.
02_PXL_20201209_034030645.jpg

To make the turn signals work I ran two wires from the back of the truck to the LEDs. I tapped into my CURT Trailer Wiring Harness for the signal. 04_PXL_20201209_040543776.jpg
05_PXL_20201209_040543953.jpg

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score

brenan00

Reaction score
Nice. And so there you have it…trailer circuit 👍
Makes sense, no relay needed. Thanks for the share, looks like a rewire is in order. 🤙🏽👊🏽
This forum is amazing, you can find someone that has done it or can help you get it done.
Are you still in Hawaii, I am in Waipahu. The 808 and the shaka gave you away. Later

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
Nice. And so there you have it…trailer circuit 👍
Makes sense, no relay needed. Thanks for the share, looks like a rewire is in order. 🤙🏽👊🏽

Yes sir!

I didn't want to tap into factory wiring for the LED turn signals and I already had the CURT for my tailgate light bar.

I have 3 relays installed for my grille guard LEDs, a master, one for my DRL and one that kicks on my off road lights when I hit my high beams.

The thing with relays is they retain an electrical charge, so using a relay for a turn signal might end up with a turn signal LED continuing to light after the factory signal disengages.
I'm sure there is a creative way around that though!

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This forum is amazing, you can find someone that has done it or can help you get it done.
Are you still in Hawaii, I am in Waipahu. The 808 and the shaka gave you away.
Oh yes, when in doubt, search it out…everything I have Googled so far for my truck has directed me to this forum. I am on other sites, but the quality of info is amazing here. It has burnt a hole in my wallet, but has also prevented a couple of bad decisions, too.
And I am here in beautiful Pacific Palisades in Pearl City, transplanted from Kalihi back in 1990. Farrington grad, and proud to be Hawaiian. 🤙🏽

brenan00

Reaction score
Oh yes, when in doubt, search it out…everything I have Googled so far for my truck has directed me to this forum. I am on other sites, but the quality of info is amazing here. It has burnt a hole in my wallet, but has also prevented a couple of bad decisions, too.
And I am here in beautiful Pacific Palisades in Pearl City, transplanted from Kalihi back in 1990. Farrington grad, and proud to be Hawaiian. 🤙🏽
Yep, I have already ordered a couple things and stopped some orders after more research here.
Not me, moved to Temple Valley from the bay area in 92 then to Ewa Beach on Ewa Beach Rd, then to town Makiki, then Kaneohe on Haiku Rd then had a kid in 99 wanted the yard and swing set wanted to stay on he windward side but couldn't find anything less than 600K that wasn't ohana'd so Waipahu Royal Kunia and all the H1 westside traffic. At the end of the day though the sky is a little bluer, the people are nicer (in my case the doctors in Hawaii compared to San Francisco). Especially when I lived on the windward side soon as I would come out of the tunnel and seeing Kaneohe Bay, I would feel better no matter how the day was going.
Right on proud to be Hawaiian! Every time we would leave Kamehameha Schools after a swim meet or other function (their facilities are amazing) my daughter would ask if she could go to school there, I would say only if Uncle Frank and Auntie Debbie Hanai you, my wife went to Hawaii School for girls and Ala Wai. Later

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, I have already ordered a couple things and stopped some orders after more research here.
Not me, moved to Temple Valley from the bay area in 92 then to Ewa Beach on Ewa Beach Rd, then to town Makiki, then Kaneohe on Haiku Rd then had a kid in 99 wanted the yard and swing set wanted to stay on he windward side but couldn't find anything less than 600K that wasn't ohana'd so Waipahu Royal Kunia and all the H1 westside traffic. At the end of the day though the sky is a little bluer, the people are nicer (in my case the doctors in Hawaii compared to San Francisco). Especially when I lived on the windward side soon as I would come out of the tunnel and seeing Kaneohe Bay, I would feel better no matter how the day was going.
Right on proud to be Hawaiian! Every time we would leave Kamehameha Schools after a swim meet or other function (their facilities are amazing) my daughter would ask if she could go to school there, I would say only if Uncle Frank and Auntie Debbie Hanai you, my wife went to Hawaii School for girls and Ala Wai. Later
Hehehe...by your forum name, i think i work with your wife Nyla on MCBH, hahahaha!!! Funny thing is, if it is your wife, she used to work with my brother in Waikiki years ago, too. I tell you, this island too small, brah...!
Been putting two and two together, and just recently spoke with her after i got my truck, said she needed to come see it, said her husband had just ordered one because he couldn't find any that he liked, and ordered from Windward, wait time about 3 months.

Of course, if its not your wife, please forget any and all of this conversation, lol!

brenan00

Reaction score
Hehehe...by your forum name, i think i work with your wife Nyla on MCBH, hahahaha!!! Funny thing is, if it is your wife, she used to work with my brother in Waikiki years ago, too. I tell you, this island too small, brah...!
Been putting two and two together, and just recently spoke with her after i got my truck, said she needed to come see it, said her husband had just ordered one because he couldn't find any that he liked, and ordered from Windward, wait time about 3 months.

Of course, if its not your wife, please forget any and all of this conversation, lol!
Too funny, yes, I have heard about you too. Naile (Nyla) is my wife. If it was the Prince Kuhio? I probably have met your brother, the Kahala maybe, the Princess Ka'iulani probably not, I used to stay there when I was flying back in forth to Hawaii before I moved here permanently.
You must have taken that off the lot in Pearl City right before I started looking, when I went in there all their 1500's were black or white and black inside. I wanted something lighter for our move to Arizona. I was dealing with John Kamakana and Juan Santana, good guys, it turned out easier working with my fleet guy at windward. After I looked at the Ram, I went to Honolulu GMC to look at their 1500, they wanted 10K just to place the order. Ram it is and it has the better tech and ride and the affiliate pricing.
Man it is a small island sometimes, play the name and high school game in Honolulu and you will figure a way you know each other or if you are related. Too funny.
Later Man, I'll come by K Bay after I leave the lot at Windward.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too funny, yes, I have heard about you too. Naile (Nyla) is my wife. If it was the Prince Kuhio? I probably have met your brother, the Kahala maybe, the Princess Ka'iulani probably not, I used to stay there when I was flying back in forth to Hawaii before I moved here permanently.
You must have taken that off the lot in Pearl City right before I started looking, when I went in there all their 1500's were black or white and black inside. I wanted something lighter for our move to Arizona. I was dealing with John Kamakana and Juan Santana, good guys, it turned out easier working with my fleet guy at windward. After I looked at the Ram, I went to Honolulu GMC to look at their 1500, they wanted 10K just to place the order. Ram it is and it has the better tech and ride and the affiliate pricing.
Man it is a small island sometimes, play the name and high school game in Honolulu and you will figure a way you know each other or if you are related. Too funny.
Later Man, I'll come by K Bay after I leave the lot at Windward.
Prince Kuhio I believe is where they worked together.

And the truck wasn’t even on the lot.
when I came across my truck online, website stated that it was by appointment only, so I made an appointment for Sunday 4/18.
I was working with Chris Weaver, the internet sales guy. When I showed up for my appointment, Chris was bringing the truck up from the storage lot by Pearl Highlands. After the test drive, truck was sitting in the backlot area, by the detail tent. Probably 3 or 4 different families walked by it, and I was told that truck was staying on the lot. Well, I wasn’t having any of that. I took it home a few hours later.

I feel you. Had dark interiors all my life, really am digging the two tone Mountain Brown and Black I got going on. Interior is most definitely cooler than any other interior I have had. The -10% tint around the back helps, too…👍 laters, it is…! 👊🏽

brenan00

Reaction score
Prince Kuhio I believe is where they worked together.

And the truck wasn’t even on the lot.
when I came across my truck online, website stated that it was by appointment only, so I made an appointment for Sunday 4/18.
I was working with Chris Weaver, the internet sales guy. When I showed up for my appointment, Chris was bringing the truck up from the storage lot by Pearl Highlands. After the test drive, truck was sitting in the backlot area, by the detail tent. Probably 3 or 4 different families walked by it, and I was told that truck was staying on the lot. Well, I wasn’t having any of that. I took it home a few hours later.

I feel you. Had dark interiors all my life, really am digging the two tone Mountain Brown and Black I got going on. Interior is most definitely cooler than any other interior I have had. The -10% tint around the back helps, too…👍 laters, it is…! 👊🏽
Yep, when I showed up they forgot to get the trucks from the storage lot, so I went back there with John, climbed over many trucks to get to the Laramie and limited. Got in one and was sold, the Denali did not have a chance. Later🤙

Ccm12

Reaction score
What wire controls the amber side marker lights if I wanted to tap into those for a relay to add more amber grille lights. Or would it be better to tap into DRL wire? Anyone know color of that?

Users who are viewing this thread