5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display theme changing

lawlavigne

Reaction score
My truck had a bcm and pcm replaced not long ago and afterwards getting it back I realized my theme speedometer font looked different. Like a bolder looking style and also at the bottom around my gears had the color of theme lines in it. It looked like a newer version. So it stayed like that for a day or two and then I'd get in it and the style would be back to how it was when I first bought the truck. I can go into my settings and un click the current theme and go back to it then it would change to the newer style. Work a day then go back. What's going on? Anyone else have this happening?

Barnyard

Reaction score
It might be user specific? Try setting it like you want it, then saving the memory to which ever one you use with the button on the door.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

b.berg

Reaction score
I had the same problem for 1,5 years. The theme on the radio didn't go back to default but the display between the gauges always jumped to default after a while. Tried everything with memory settings but nothing worked. After the last update the problem is resolved.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N975F met Tapatalk

lawlavigne

Reaction score
I may have to try that but isn't the software suppose to update automatically?

b.berg

Reaction score
I'm from the Netherlands. We don't get OTA updates (as far as i know) In the same period i had problems with the memory of radio presets. Once in a while they were lost and i had to set them again. Since the last update this didn't occur anymore.

Turin

Reaction score
The EVIC theme resetting to default has been a problem for trucks with the 8.4 NAV system since day one. (8.4 non-NAV don't get themes, and this particular issue doesn't seem to be a problem on the 12" units — they have different problems...)

@b.berg What's your software version?

b.berg

Reaction score
My software version is 19.33.11

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had the same problem since I bought my truck. Been back and forth with the dealership and FCA. Every time I ask they tell me that an update will be out by "the end of the quarter".

Finally got fed up this spring and opened a case with uConnect. After some back and forth I have been assured that there is an 8.4" uConnect 4 update in the works. When it will be out is TBD.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming in behind the 12" guys is one thing (they've got bigger issues than themes not saving), but my biggest concern is that we will be fogotten as uConnect 5 rolls out for 2021 models.

Granted my issues are not vehicle disabling (occassional blank screen, audio cuts out, EVIC themes don't save, and a couple others) but they are annoying nonethless. Plus at this price point it should be addressed.

I could have gotten a nice Lexus or Mercedes for what I paid for mine and I don't think any of those owners would accept recurring issues with their vehicles. Just sayin'.

nco415

Reaction score
I am also am having the theme returning to default. It usually happens for me when I remote start the truck, just an FYI, I was at the dealer today getting an oil change done an the service advisor said that there was a radio update available for my truck and would have to rebook as it would take about two hours to update. Maybe this will fix the problem. I will be taking it in next week, I will keep you posted and let you know if it has corrected the issue.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if b.berg's update is specifically for his area?

I also am on 18.23.29 and have been told I'm up-to-date since I bought my truck.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been an issue ever since I bought my truck. There have been stretches where it will stay for 2-3 days. But typically I change it, drive somewhere, and turn the truck back on and its gone. This is a very minor issue but is super annoying for some reason.

nco415

Reaction score
I took the truck in last Monday to have a big radio update done, they said it would take 2 hours to do so I had to leave it for the day, I also had a few other things done. Sad to say it did not fix the resetting problem. Before it seemed to only reset with a remote start, now it resets when ever. I have even seen it change, I would start the truck it would be ok and before I put into reverse it resets. Going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if the radio update was supposed to fix this. Keep you posted.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the touch screen push the two outside “buttons” on the bottom of the screen (menu row) at the same time for about 10 seconds then you will be in dealer mode and can check your version.
You have to have your ignition in ON to do this (the engine does not have to be running).

Last edited:
Reactions: aai

nco415

Reaction score
Well, I went back to the dealer this Tuesday and spoke to the foreman/electrical guy, I told him about the issue, he said that he had never heard of that issue, I told him to google it, he was surprised, so he dug deeper. He advised me that the radio update that was done the week before did not take, he said that the main reason for the update (which is a bulletin) was to correct the potential of the backup camera coming on or stay on too long causing a visual distraction which may result in a collision. He tried to do the update several times but the radio would lock up every time. The tech that did the update last week was there and said it did the same thing for him. My radio version is at 18.23.29. He was more concerned with the Application Version (CANADA-IR-SBX-21.10.0-20180605-I09W), not sure what that means? They have now ordered me a new radio. I asked if this was common, they have two there at the shop where the radios are now unresponsive and has had several others that he was able to get working again without the update. He advised me that this may not fix the resetting issue, but would start there. I asked about the UConnect being the cause his reply, No, UConnect had nothing to do with it. I will keep you posted when the new radio comes in which he said may take a couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/