5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display panel in freak out mode. No Bus error message.

Chaser

Reaction score
Hey guys,

2019 1500 limited, 90k miles. Have absolutely loved this truck and had zero issues with it up until a month ago.

Driving along when all of the sudden every error message/light started blinking on dash. Shifter needs service, ABS, cruise control… you name it. Even the windshield wipers came on. The strange part is it’s super random. Turn on 5 times in a row, no issues. Then the 6th time, the error messages are back. Gas tank shows empty, sometimes shifter won’t let me shift into drive.

Took to a ram dealership thinking i had 100k extended warranty, only to find out it was 75k extended (DOH!). They recommended to take it to a local mechanic since it was an electrical issue and the guy basically hinted that their techs sucked.

3 weeks later, mechanic thinks it’s the BCM. Orders new one but can’t ever get code to work to activate it.

I’m in the middle of a move from Texas to Oklahoma and so we decide to see if we can make it up there in truck, where we’ll take it to a dealership or trade it in.

Get halfway (heart of Dallas) and it starts freaking out. This time NO BUS message pops up and it won’t switch gears. Only staying in first. Luckily we were close to a hotel and pulled in.

Any ideas? Hoping BCM fixes it but we were never able to try it. Anyone else experienced anything like this? Love this truck but obviously can’t deal with this much longer. TIA!

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That definitely sounds like the BCM is shot, and I think I know why they’re getting stuck finishing the programming on it. If the mechanic is using an aftermarket WiTech account, then the PIN code that a dealership would provide won’t work when performing the BCM replace procedure. You’ll either have to have a dealership do the programming, or have someone with locksmith credentials use their wiTECH account to be issued a temporary PIN for the BCM programming.

Chaser

Reaction score
That definitely sounds like the BCM is shot, and I think I know why they’re getting stuck finishing the programming on it. If the mechanic is using an aftermarket WiTech account, then the PIN code that a dealership would provide won’t work when performing the BCM replace procedure. You’ll either have to have a dealership do the programming, or have someone with locksmith credentials use their wiTECH account to be issued a temporary PIN for the BCM programming.

Thanks Jimmy. Will pass on info to mechanic.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys,

2019 1500 limited, 90k miles. Have absolutely loved this truck and had zero issues with it up until a month ago.

Driving along when all of the sudden every error message/light started blinking on dash. Shifter needs service, ABS, cruise control… you name it. Even the windshield wipers came on. The strange part is it’s super random. Turn on 5 times in a row, no issues. Then the 6th time, the error messages are back. Gas tank shows empty, sometimes shifter won’t let me shift into drive.

Took to a ram dealership thinking i had 100k extended warranty, only to find out it was 75k extended (DOH!). They recommended to take it to a local mechanic since it was an electrical issue and the guy basically hinted that their techs sucked.

3 weeks later, mechanic thinks it’s the BCM. Orders new one but can’t ever get code to work to activate it.

I’m in the middle of a move from Texas to Oklahoma and so we decide to see if we can make it up there in truck, where we’ll take it to a dealership or trade it in.

Get halfway (heart of Dallas) and it starts freaking out. This time NO BUS message pops up and it won’t switch gears. Only staying in first. Luckily we were close to a hotel and pulled in.

Any ideas? Hoping BCM fixes it but we were never able to try it. Anyone else experienced anything like this? Love this truck but obviously can’t deal with this much longer. TIA!
I’m literally going through pretty much the same thing currently.
I posted in another thread because mine started happening right after I installed my tazer DT after not using it for a while to try to correct my Speedo.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
Are there any aftermarket electronics? I once dealt with an intermittent bus communication failure and it was the anti-theft device.
I have a viper alarm on my truck. I wonder if that may have something to do with my issues. I’m getting the same no bus thing. It happened pretty frequently on my drive back to Georgia from Florida on Tuesday. Usually has a service electronic stability control error first then no bus 5-7 minutes later then a electronic blip that makes my engine cut off but then all of the electronics are back online and I have to pull over and start the truck again.

Chaser

Reaction score
Just wanted to update this in case anyone else having similar issues. Finally got it back today and it’s working great so far. Here’s what they did. Will update again in a few weeks…

We replaced a 20 way connector that transfers communications between modules on the truck and aligned all the computers back up

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
If anyone knows what this part number this 20 way connector would be I would greatly appreciate it!

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
If anyone knows what this part number this 20 way connector would be I would greatly appreciate it!
I had the dealer replace the 68321746AA- can buss connector that is located behind the headlight controls to the left of the steering wheel and I am still have the random electronic issues. They said there were 7 of these connectors throughout the truck but this is the one I saw in research being replaced. I’m hoping someone else has some luck getting to the bottom of this issue that may help me track down mine.
My truck literally runs and drives perfect until this pops up about 40-55 minutes into me driving. All kinds of warning lights usually followed by no bus and if I keep driving the truck eventually like flashes which makes the engine cut off but everything else works again and I have to stop driving to start the truck back. It always starts back up currently but I do have to push the start stop button twice to get it to start after it shuts off this way

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Someone had a great diagram of all the grounding points on our trucks. I can’t seem to find it at the moment. I think there’s one by the front drivers fender.

6of36

Reaction score
Someone had a great diagram of all the grounding points on our trucks. I can’t seem to find it at the moment. I think there’s one by the front drivers fender.
I thought I bookmarked it, but no such luck. I remember there are 30 ground points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/