5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgruntled but purchased anyway

ImageX

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I owned a 2010 Big Horn 1500 after purchasing it new for $4500 plus a voucher worth $25k (taxes paid) that I received after accepting a buyout offer when Chrysler closed my plant in Fenton, MO. I worked for them for nearly 13 years. My grandfather worked for them for 48 years and my father did until they closed his plant. My family has purchased Chrysler vehicles for many many decades. Anyway, About 6 weeks ago, I had to make a 7 hour round trip drive. On the way back home, about 40 miles from home, My Ram died. It just stopped making power. It was towed to the nearest dealer and I was informed that it threw a rod but luckily..... I have a lifetime Max Care warranty. The dealer immediately requested oil change receipts from when I did it myself. Truck had 138,000 miles on it and I had been changing the oil from about 90,000 on. I had absolutely no clue that I was suppose to save receipts and did not have them..... so Chrysler/Fiat was happy to deny and cancel my warranty. It was a shock that they would treat me this way. I loved that truck and it was well maintained. Needless to say I purchased a new one because I like them so much but I nearly laughed when they offered me warranties/service contracts. Never again will I pay a penny for something that really amounts to a scam. I feel sorry for others out there who believe that they have some kind of coverage but they really don’t because of some technicality that was not made clear to the customer. This should almost be illegal in my opinion. Anyway, I’m trying my luck again and will make sure this time that they have no way to weasel out of the factory warranty if something happens.

With that said.... I still love my Big Horn ORG. Just not the company that betrayed decades of loyalty.
9DE71046-1953-48F5-8D30-313643CE11CC.jpeg 5C8E128D-6965-41AA-B053-92B488DB59C5.jpeg 33202D2A-232D-4CC2-A0B3-2F3B08D7288F.jpeg

danielle2019

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've learned my lesson about warranties and service plans the hard way as well! I'm digging that serene lake, such a perfect photo backdrop! Congrats on the new Ram and welcome ;)

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I owned a 2010 Big Horn 1500 after purchasing it new for $4500 plus a voucher worth $25k (taxes paid) that I received after accepting a buyout offer when Chrysler closed my plant in Fenton, MO. I worked for them for nearly 13 years. My grandfather worked for them for 48 years and my father did until they closed his plant. My family has purchased Chrysler vehicles for many many decades. Anyway, About 6 weeks ago, I had to make a 7 hour round trip drive. On the way back home, about 40 miles from home, My Ram died. It just stopped making power. It was towed to the nearest dealer and I was informed that it threw a rod but luckily..... I have a lifetime Max Care warranty. The dealer immediately requested oil change receipts from when I did it myself. Truck had 138,000 miles on it and I had been changing the oil from about 90,000 on. I had absolutely no clue that I was suppose to save receipts and did not have them..... so Chrysler/Fiat was happy to deny and cancel my warranty. It was a shock that they would treat me this way. I loved that truck and it was well maintained. Needless to say I purchased a new one because I like them so much but I nearly laughed when they offered me warranties/service contracts. Never again will I pay a penny for something that really amounts to a scam. I feel sorry for others out there who believe that they have some kind of coverage but they really don’t because of some technicality that was not made clear to the customer. This should almost be illegal in my opinion. Anyway, I’m trying my luck again and will make sure this time that they have no way to weasel out of the factory warranty if something happens.

With that said.... I still love my Big Horn ORG. Just not the company that betrayed decades of loyalty.
View attachment 27066 View attachment 27067 View attachment 27068
Thanks for the heads up on receipts with the warranty. Did you ever use the warranty and recoup any of the cost? Is that common issue to that engine? Sorry for your troubles and enjoy the new Ram.

BlckDT

Reaction score
Great looking new truck.

It sounds like you have some animosity for more than just the protection plan not replacing (or fixing) your previous truck. I had the Lifetime Mopar plan on my previous vehicle and the contract clearly states that you need to keep proof of any standard maintenance done. For me it was easy because I always took her to the dealership and my paper trail was in the system. Not sure it was illegal for denying coverage.

9A7D86EB-1238-40B0-A0DB-4AE1B2706840.jpeg

ImageX

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I do have some animosity. I understand why they want receipts. My problem is that I think it should be made absolutely clear when purchasing. The warranty didn’t cost me anything and I did have some work done under that warranty. But, when the repair bill became a large one($12k for new oem Hemi replacement), they decided to deny me. It was a shock. My family has a combined 75 years of service to Chrysler and about the same amount of years purchasing their vehicles. They didn’t care and denied me on a technicality. They also failed to tell me exactly what caused the failure. Just “No receipts, no warranty”.

Last edited:

ImageX

Reaction score
Great looking new truck.

It sounds like you have some animosity for more than just the protection plan not replacing (or fixing) your previous truck. I had the Lifetime Mopar plan on my previous vehicle and the contract clearly states that you need to keep proof of any standard maintenance done. For me it was easy because I always took her to the dealership and my paper trail was in the system. Not sure it was illegal for denying coverage.

View attachment 27069

It says you “should”. They SHOULD change that to “must” and make it very clear at time of warranty purchase. They don’t make it clear and bury that text.... on purpose. They know very well that most people will not think to save receipts when they change their own oil and know it will save them millions in warranty costs. I would like to see things change and have customers initial by certain things that effect coverage. Make sure there is no misunderstanding and that everything is on the up and up. They count on the customer not saving receipts in a big way. Plus, receipts prove nothing except that you went to store and bought oil. What’s next from them? “Sir, you are not an ASE certified mechanic. Therefore, we deny you for you changing your own oil.”

Last edited:

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You could have either gotten an attorney or filed a lawsuit pro se. Not sure you would have wanted to take that time consuming and potentially expensive road, businesses are betting most people won’t. I am not a litigious person but what is right is right. If they aren’t going to cover something they should have to establish pretty clearly that you neglected or did something to damage it. You could have easily just walked into a local lube shop and tossed the kid working a few bucks to write you up a bunch of receipts.

Users who are viewing this thread