5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion over motors and what to get

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's inputs and assistance here. Truly. I was merely considering the ED over hemi due to fuel costs and range. Where I'm at fuel and diesel are neck and neck on prices. I realize there is a $2700 upcharge over the hemi according to the build sheet. I'm not sure how many "years" it would take to make that up either. I really like seeing 24mpg on my display too. The hemi I had was 15/19. Then 16 with the tires. I'm also looking at the Hemi with etorque to justify the hemi purchase.
Thing is in Arizona, everywhere is interstate mostly. I also usually keep trucks under 3 years as well. So I may not recoup that upfront expense. So maybe the hemi is a better option?
You're most likely NOT going to recoup the upfront cost. If you like seeing consistent 25+ MPG on the highway (depending on weight of your right foot) and enjoy running a minimum of 750 miles per tank fill with the 33 gallon tank then the ED is your choice regardless of cost. As stated by others it's NOT going to be a rocket ship for passing or "flying" but it's no slouch either. I've never been afraid to pass with my ED's...it just takes a little more planning.

For highway driving and hardly any towing stick with the 3.21 on the ED for overall economy. If you're mixed driving or towing you may want the 3.92. I'll be able to speak to this more accurately in a few months once I'm able to drive my new one with the 3.92 as my previous 3 were all 3.21's.

If you haven't already, I would test drive BOTH options if at all possible so you get to experience them both and make a decision. I personally LOVE my ED and won't consider the Hemi but that's me....this is going to be YOUR truck and needs to fit YOUR needs!!

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really appreciate everyone's inputs and assistance here. Truly. I was merely considering the ED over hemi due to fuel costs and range.
Range is definitely an advantage with the diesel. Especially if you get the 33 gallon fuel tank. It may not make sense for you to get one for the fuel economy if you're only keeping it 3ish years. But if you're looking for range you won't find a better option from a Ram 1500.

mhb1638

Reaction score
yeah, I've driven both, hemi 2020 and 2021 ED. I sold the 2021 for a Challener RT but miss my truck, so looking at ordering a 2022 rebel or Limited. the ED I had had the 3.92 gears as well. I guess I'm worried over expenses. I hear the ED's can be expensive over the HEMI in terms up routine maintenance. I don't know, why I ask.

yes the range is certainly nice in the ED. 600 miles with 3.92 gears is damn nice.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The hemi suffers the most in city driving. In pure highway driving (discussions about range etc) the hemi can easily get 20+ mpg if driven conservatively. This means that even when towing my trailer, I can go 3 to 4 hours towing, and probably 7+ empty, so range isn't necessarily a problem. That's on the 26 gallon tank too.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re even considering the Ecodiesel just get it. If you don’t you’ll wish you had. IMO anybody who can afford a brand new truck shouldn’t worry about the price difference because it doesn’t really matter. Yes the Ecodiesel is more cost up front but it also has higher resale value too. I absolutely loved my Ecodiesel and if I ever go back to a 1/2 ton I’ll be getting another one. Gas mileage was incredible and if you change the oil yourself it’s not that expensive. I vote Ecodiesel all day everyday.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re even considering the Ecodiesel just get it. If you don’t you’ll wish you had. IMO anybody who can afford a brand new truck shouldn’t worry about the price difference because it doesn’t really matter. Yes the Ecodiesel is more cost up front but it also has higher resale value too. I absolutely loved my Ecodiesel and if I ever go back to a 1/2 ton I’ll be getting another one. Gas mileage was incredible and if you change the oil yourself it’s not that expensive. I vote Ecodiesel all day everyday.
Apparently the ED wasn't enough for you ;)

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah, I've driven both, hemi 2020 and 2021 ED. I sold the 2021 for a Challener RT but miss my truck, so looking at ordering a 2022 rebel or Limited. the ED I had had the 3.92 gears as well. I guess I'm worried over expenses. I hear the ED's can be expensive over the HEMI in terms up routine maintenance. I don't know, why I ask.

yes the range is certainly nice in the ED. 600 miles with 3.92 gears is damn nice.
You get 10k miles between oil changes. If you change it yourself it’s under $100. So even if you put 20k miles on a year you’ve got 2 oil changes and 1 fuel filter change which I also did myself so it cost $40 for the filter. If you spend 60k on a truck does $250 a year for oil and fuel filter changes matter?

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a friend with a 4th gen 2500 diesel that loves it. He talked me out of the Ecodiesel, especially since I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off. He loves his truck and does most of his own work, but it's not been cheap for him to own. I also don't really pull anything significant. I would say talk to mechanics and get their take. The mileage is tempting, but repairs can easily blow out any savings in record time with that motor.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, if you are boiling things down strictly to cost of ownership then IMO the ED is probably not the option you want.

Before I get filleted for saying that...I'm coming from a diesel. I had a Ford F-250 diesel for 11+ years prior to this and loved it. I much prefer the response and performance characteristics of a compression ignition engine. That being said it was a labor of love to maintain. It was pre-common rail so was easier to maintain and I could do it all in my driveway but routine maintenance adds up (16 qts of oil per change, routine fuel filter changes, etc.). I know the ED is smaller so capacities aren't as much of a disparity, but it's still there.

I had the option to stay spark plug-less but chose not to. I drive 20K+ miles a year and have the know-how but don't have the drive to provide care and feeding for an engine that I am not going to use for towing/hauling on a regular basis and hope that some expensive system is not going to fail (warranty or not).

If you need one or want one then jump into the pool. If you are thinking "should I" then make sure you drive one if you haven't (I mean really drive it) and do your research to see if it's for you.

It was definitely for me back then and would be still be today (in that truck) but after stepping out of the pool, drying off, and looking back in, it isn't now. My 5.7L has more than enough power for me and I'm happy with my ~500 to empty when I fill up. I chose to pay the difference at the pump instead of the initial cost and maintenance and am happy with my decision. YMMV

Just my .02

Last edited:

tom318

Reaction score
This is from someone who posted in the Ecodiesel powertrain forum on some pricing they got at a local dealer for maintenance. The ED is awesome but if your not going to service it yourself check your local dealers/independent shops for costs. The truck is already pricey and dealers/RAM make the cost to maintain it a nightmare. 10k mile oil changes are right at the limit depending on how you drive, i change usually around 7500 miles. Manual states to never exceed 10k. All the maintenance is easy but the oil filter is stupid expensive. Its not only the filter but the entire plastic assembly that holds it, $50 online at best and $100+ at dealer just for the part.

1635885698517.png

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is from someone who posted in the Ecodiesel powertrain forum on some pricing they got at a local dealer for maintenance. The ED is awesome but if your not going to service it yourself check your local dealers/independent shops for costs. The truck is already pricey and dealers/RAM make the cost to maintain it a nightmare. 10k mile oil changes are right at the limit depending on how you drive, i change usually around 7500 miles. Manual states to never exceed 10k. All the maintenance is easy but the oil filter is stupid expensive. Its not only the filter but the entire plastic assembly that holds it, $50 online at best and $100+ at dealer just for the part.

View attachment 109829
Dang, that's crazy.

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
I think the ED is an awesome motor and I don't know why these discussions always get so chippy. Who cares what another person buys. I drove both before I bought my truck and I personally enjoy the extra 135 horsepower of the HEMI. At least we don't drive Fords!

pmegason

Reaction score
I have a 2020 15 4x4 EcoDiesel. I was curious if anybody has any comparisons as far as towing between the 1500 EcoDiesel and a 2500 6.4L Hemi.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It will be night and day difference: increase in pulling power, huge increase in stability, huge decrease in MPG, and very noticeable difference in ride quality; the 2500 will probably feel much better while towing, but unloaded it will feel worse.

Users who are viewing this thread