5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed - New Saddle

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to the Houston Auto Show in January and they had a white Longhorn with the Black/New Saddle interior. (They still list it as Cattle Tan on Ram.com.) I probably would never have given it a second look on website/brochure but I instantly fell in love with it! The wood had a nice grain and was a lighter color and the "cattle tan" was a very attractive darker tan with subtle hints of burnt orange. I had 99% decided this was what I was going with. I took a bunch of photos and here is the door panel (best comparison shot):

y4mNwvTkuYxfyy-jtljeuK1WVZiJP8tCWqLE7vk9T5w-tkEjKa4W5tNSJN2d9y5Yf7nhNXeFjuTWeEW-HdsKdNEywH6Br1hRhloi6If4-jeJT0pyt-GbsDidlzHSM2wbOjc3nHx1IoEORv6U-NJv5xR9LYzVT4I7qRpXrjWv_w4XA4EcNZk9egFTSkdWPXHlg2-m596O_LBntQthr9TFY-3Kg

Now I know this was a pre-production model and should be taken as such and I also know that this was an indoor photo and the one below was taken outdoors, but the differences are stark. A few days ago a local dealer got in a black Longhorn with the production Black/New Saddle. The instant he opened the door my heart sank. That was not the color I fell in love with - it was more of a "burnt terra cotta."

y4mZpRABPqC8QWw3mhgKLGgHGIoWakEkWo1udZzJTg7EjAFXBIb-JIZL6aF6_ZZxDt4JUtiL43pW9kGJr7UvEQj51vA2rIVxYljn8CHeWbslrhhMqbj60EtnoQbjSt2HKQPtuT5NMhJvE6cJYAEVRE-QiGOWDBi671cD_vmMFJTK52t5SJlnjxjpTlVhSfanTOKpowpKEZQt2NA2I4svBcMxA

I was aghast at how much it had changed between the auto show and production, especially since this is not a new color having been used in previous years. This had much more red in it and I instantly knew I was not going with this combo so back to black I go.

Also, it's not the camera. Some shots look lighter or darker but in person it was shocking.

Just wanted to pass along the info and pics for anyone else interested.

Last edited:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
.Thanks for the post. This is actually very interesting as I too fell in love with the black/cattle tan Longhorn interior at the autoshow, enough that I have even been contemplating picking up a Longhorn when it was previously not even a consideration for me. (I'm more of a Laramie Sport or Limited kind of guy) I'll have to take a look in person as well.

fish mojo

Reaction score
I've always felt the "Cattle Tan" looked more like a basketball color....Not my favorite. I am looking forward to seeing the mountain brown color scheme.

J

jimh4662@

That's why I went with Mountain brown. Only two choices. Would of liked Limited and probably stayed with black but they decided to have air suspension as standard equipment. Didn't want the headaches again.

D

Deleted member 85

Honestly - the Cattle-Tan colour has existed for a long time now in Ram 1500. The bottom photo (to be honest I think they look the same, just different lighting conditions) is identical in colour to the current production DS Longhorn Cattle-Tan shade.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
This is true, autoshow lighting really does affect colors quite a bit.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
jimh4662@ said:
That's why I went with Mountain brown. Only two choices. Would of liked Limited and probably stayed with black but they decided to have air suspension as standard equipment. Didn't want the headaches again.
Could you please expand on the "Didn't want the headaches." Are you referring to the Air Suspension? That was something I was going to get. Issues? Anyone else?

cjgerson

Reaction score
SoCal Truck said:
Could you please expand on the "Didn't want the headaches." Are you referring to the Air Suspension? That was something I was going to get. Issues? Anyone else?
I have the OEM air suspension on my 2013 Limited and love it. Only “issue” I’ve had is from time to time it doesn’t want to lower with the key fob.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
SoCal Truck said:
In cold climates people are having issues with the air suspension acting up. If you live in a warmer climate you should be ok.

J

jimh4662@

Yes, Air suspension did not prove reliable in Maryland weather. Even though Maryland is not that drastic of temperature range. My air suspension failed on several occasions. Most recently April 10 raised it to level two to clean under wheel wells. It would not lower until the next time I started truck. That was the latest failure. 45 degrees temperature. That was in April. As in fuel efficiency, You need to drive it raised to level two at 55 mph. (which you are not supposed to do according to the manual). then lower to crawl in/out entry level, while traveling 55 to 60 mph. No reference in computer at dealer on fault codes. I'm gong with traditional shocks. I'll Sacrifice maybe 1 gallon mpg fuel consumption. I liked the idea, when I bought the 2014 RAM, I'm all about the gadgets, bling and fancy stuff. Except forced fuel consumption gizmos. Oh one other issue that bothered me with the air suspension. Its always working, never sleeps. worried me it would lesson battery longevity.
Read the blogs. You will get a sample of issues with air suspen. Probably no more that another mechanical device. I just wanted to eliminate one.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly on the cattle tan, on the 2019 build sheet it is black/new saddle I believe. I originally was going to order a fully loaded Laramie because I was never a big fan of the two tone interiors of the Longhorn (or King Ranch for that matter.) However, when I finished pricing the Laramie I was at the price of the Longhorn. Just so happened the dealer I was at had a Longhorn in the show room and it had the black/saddle interior. Absolutely loved it, looked far better in person, seemed to have less of a red tint and more tan then what the photos show as you mentioned. Therefore, I ordered the Longhorn. I hope it is the same ‘tint’ as I saw in the show room!

RAM 4times

Reaction score
it's a great interior. there's a few changes from my 13 longhorn with the black, cattle tan ( it's now called new saddle ) but you will love it. even though i ordered a limited with a black interior i thought long about getting another longhorn with the same interior.

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Yes, Air suspension did not prove reliable in Maryland weather. Even though Maryland is not that drastic of temperature range. My air suspension failed on several occasions. Most recently April 10 raised it to level two to clean under wheel wells. It would not lower until the next time I started truck. That was the latest failure. 45 degrees temperature. That was in April. As in fuel efficiency, You need to drive it raised to level two at 55 mph. (which you are not supposed to do according to the manual). then lower to crawl in/out entry level, while traveling 55 to 60 mph. No reference in computer at dealer on fault codes. I'm gong with traditional shocks. I'll Sacrifice maybe 1 gallon mpg fuel consumption. I liked the idea, when I bought the 2014 RAM, I'm all about the gadgets, bling and fancy stuff. Except forced fuel consumption gizmos. Oh one other issue that bothered me with the air suspension. Its always working, never sleeps. worried me it would lesson battery longevity.
Read the blogs. You will get a sample of issues with air suspen. Probably no more that another mechanical device. I just wanted to eliminate one.
i never had a issue with my air suspension with my longhorn. i've had it since july of 13. i live in southern new jersey with isn't far from you. i'm getting it again with my 19 limited.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
...the dealer I was at had a Longhorn in the show room and it had the black/saddle interior. Absolutely loved it, looked far better in person, seemed to have less of a red tint and more tan then what the photos show as you mentioned. Therefore, I ordered the Longhorn. I hope it is the same ‘tint’ as I saw in the show room!
The front grille and that interior were our reasons for going with a Longhorn over a Limited. It ended up costing more to configure a loaded Longhorn than a Limited, but it really impressed us.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I opted not to get the air suspension on my 19 Longhorn. I am not all that familiar with the system but after researching I just felt it wasn’t for me. I also was concerned with the ‘ gadgetry’ so to speak of the system with the different heights and the self adjustments. Like you all, I have read of problems in cool weather and was concerned for that here in north central Indiana. I know it is possible with the air, but I was also concerned about lifting or leveling if I ever did compared to the coil suspension. Just my thoughts for what it’s worth. Like any other gadgets on these trucks, I’m sure there are many of you who have had no problems at all and some with major problems constantly with the air system.

CaliTex

Reaction score
I was also concerned about lifting or leveling if I ever did compared to the coil suspension.

From my perspective, that’s the best reason not to get it. I had it on my last Laramie, and it worked well, though it was a little slow to get to get to the enter/exit level, which I never used. I ordered it again on my Limited that is being built, but I know at most I will maybe try leveling it with the link kit that others have spoken about. If I had any thoughts of a lift, I would not get it.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From my perspective, that’s the best reason not to get it. I had it on my last Laramie, and it worked well, though it was a little slow to get to get to the enter/exit level, which I never used. I ordered it again on my Limited that is being built, but I know at most I will maybe try leveling it with the link kit that others have spoken about. If I had any thoughts of a lift, I would not get it.

Exactly, more than likely I may just level it eventually, but you never know what kind of ‘itch’ I may get down the road for a smaller lift. I have leveled all of my trucks over the years ( 1/2, 3/4, and 1 tons) and in my opinion was good enough to allow the right tire size for a more aggressive look yet not compromise the functionality of the truck to be used.

Users who are viewing this thread