5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling always on power in usb ports

rnaude241

Reaction score
The back of the USB media has a mini USB connector, so I setup a relay switch to the +power of a mini usb extender. Works first time (truck off, plug in USB dongle, and dongle is off until truck is turned on), but won't turn off when truck is turned off.

There's an 8 pin connector that gives power after the dongle initiates power. From some further testing, it appears the original idea will work if done with the 8 pin connector red wire (+). My issue is that I can't find the male connector to make a plug and play harness and I'm not willing to cut original harness.

8 pin female connector part number 7283-6459-40. On the connector, says >PBT-GF15< YA-14. If someone finds a female connector I will build the harness to test my theory.
Sounds like option 2 listed here.

Nitewulf

Reaction score
His way is simpler than mine but I wanted plug and play. I bought the female and male ends, made a harness, had the same red wire go to a relay, that relay is grounded and provided power from an IGN fuse. Just tested it out and everything works! I prefer this way to ensure the amount of power is exactly what was intended from the harness and all I have to do is unplug everything to go back to stock.

For the plug and play harness,

If you go this route, I recommend cutting the wires shorter than I did.

Attachments

• 20240209_221258.jpg
    20240209_221258.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 11

Rnewlove

Reaction score
See attached picture replace the 3 blade fuse with a 2 pole 10 amp put a tap in fuse in the bottom position and put a small terminal onnthe other end plug in to the 3rd slot on the left (of the 3 terminal fuse. Usb works only when ignition is on 20240225_111650.jpg

rnaude241

Reaction score
See attached picture replace the 3 blade fuse with a 2 pole 10 amp put a tap in fuse in the bottom position and put a small terminal onnthe other end plug in to the 3rd slot on the left (of the 3 terminal fuse. Usb works only when ignition is on View attachment 177932
Interesting. Do you have links to the parts you used?

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I just got one of these: Cable Matters 2 Pack USB On Off Switch 1 ft Support Data and Power, Short USB Extension Cable with On Off Switch (USB Power Switch) https://a.co/d/4zFEu9q.

My wife's car has USB ports that never turn off, so I initially got it for her wireless AA adapter, then added it to mine as a failsafe. My ports turned off after an hour, but I was annoyed by the phone staying connected to the adapter's wifi instead of my home wifi.

I have it set up so the AA adapter is plugged into the switch cord and hangs over the right side of the console, with the switch resting on the right edge of the console. I flip the switch when turning the vehicle on and off, with no issues whatsoever and no need to go rooting through the electronics.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got one of these: Cable Matters 2 Pack USB On Off Switch 1 ft Support Data and Power, Short USB Extension Cable with On Off Switch (USB Power Switch) https://a.co/d/4zFEu9q.

My wife's car has USB ports that never turn off, so I initially got it for her wireless AA adapter, then added it to mine as a failsafe. My ports turned off after an hour, but I was annoyed by the phone staying connected to the adapter's wifi instead of my home wifi.

I have it set up so the AA adapter is plugged into the switch cord and hangs over the right side of the console, with the switch resting on the right edge of the console. I flip the switch when turning the vehicle on and off, with no issues whatsoever and no need to go rooting through the electronics.
I'm surprised those usb switches worked with your AA adapter. I bought a similar switch, but it didn't work with my AA adapter. I thought because it's USB 2.0 and couldn't handle the data.

I got this usb 3.0 switch, but haven't tested it yet. I may get to try it out this weekend.

habu987

Reaction score
I'm surprised those usb switches worked with your AA adapter. I bought a similar switch, but it didn't work with my AA adapter. I thought because it's USB 2.0 and couldn't handle the data.

I got this usb 3.0 switch, but haven't tested it yet. I may get to try it out this weekend.
USB 2.0 by itself has nothing to do with whether it can handle data. USB cables, whether 2.0 or 3.0+, can either handle power or power + data or data only. There are plenty of USB cables out there that do one but not both.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
USB 2.0 by itself has nothing to do with whether it can handle data. USB cables, whether 2.0 or 3.0+, can either handle power or power + data or data only. There are plenty of USB cables out there that do one but not both.
Gotcha! It looks like the usb switch I bought doesn't say anything about 'data'. I was naive to assume that all the usb switches handles data.

habu987

Reaction score
Gotcha! It looks like the usb switch I bought doesn't say anything about 'data'. I was naive to assume that all the usb switches handles data.
Yep, from the product description of the one you linked: "PLEASE NOTE: This cable is ONLY for power supply(Not support IOS system), NOT for Data transfer."

Users who are viewing this thread