5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling always on power in usb ports

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah thats pretty much what im gonna do too. Thanks for the input

That's what I had to do with my Motorola, since the data connections are the USB & UBS-Cs at the lower front of the console, they are the only options for the dongle.

What I did with my Motorola is flip it upside down and double sided tape just above the UBC connections. It's out of the way, you barely see it and best of all the short Motorola cable is just the right length to connect and super easy to disconnect, making it real convenient.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Y'all, Wondering about this myself. Just picked up a 2019 1500 and want to get the Motorola MA1 wireless adapter for my android auto but i dont want it to stay on when i shut the truck off. any Info helps. Thanks

Only my front USB ports stay powered with the truck off. The USB ports on the back of the center console shut off with the truck. Not sure if the 2019 does the same.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only my front USB ports stay powered with the truck off. The USB ports on the back of the center console shut off with the truck. Not sure if the 2019 does the same.
The front USB ports stay powered on for one hour after shut down. As soon you open the door, they will be powered on again.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The front USB ports stay powered on for one hour after shut down. As soon you open the door, they will be powered on again.
I think if you unlock from the keyfob it will turn on again also. Not 100% sure tho

69Sting

Reaction score
Has anyone actually tested this 1 hour no power? Reason I ask is my Ottocast Wireless Carplay will still pull my phone off my home wifi to it 3 hrs later. I hadn't even gone in the garage during that time. So I am thinking this 1 hour time limit for front USB power is bonk.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used a lighted UBS cable to tell me when the power was off when testing, at least with my 2019 to confirm the 1 hour thing. I could see the light from outside the truck without having to open the door and reactivating the timer.

But could be different with different years and packages.

DHicks

Reaction score
I may have found a solution to this. I recently purchased an Ottocast for wireless apple carplay and I too had the problem with my phone staying connected to the Ottocast WiFi. In my search I came across this this usb sensor that detects heat, movement and sound. I watched a couple videos and it seems to work just the way I am needing it to. I’ve ordered it and will post my results. I plan to mount it in my center console with some double stick tape after some testing. However, it will take a couple weeks for it to arrive…

DHicks

Reaction score
I may have found a solution to this. I recently purchased an Ottocast for wireless apple carplay and I too had the problem with my phone staying connected to the Ottocast WiFi. In my search I came across this this usb sensor that detects heat, movement and sound. I watched a couple videos and it seems to work just the way I am needing it to. I’ve ordered it and will post my results. I plan to mount it in my center console with some double stick tape after some testing. However, it will take a couple weeks for it to arrive…
You can also order it through Amazon and it includes led light strips if you’re into that. https://a.co/d/bWmTEIf

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Not sure. I’m really hoping it will. I’ll update after I try it out. I purchased it through Amazon so that it easier to return if it doesn’t.

Curious if you tried this out yet? the manufacturer website states that "it does not pass data"

Thanks

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Just use this one, it comes in various lengths and works perfect with data. I use it for my Android Auto wireless dongle, zero issues, works like a charm.

More interested in this one that works automatically as I get in and out of my vehicle quite often,

Don't want to have to remember a switch, but thanks nonetheless(y)

Mayzer23

Reaction score
Just receive it today. Will try it out tomorrow and let y’all know.
I'm definitely interested to hear if this works!! My Ottocast staying connected to my phone is driving me nuts!!

Has anyone tried both the Ottocast MX & Aawireless? I am strongly considering switching from Ottocast to Aawireless..

Nehal51086

Reaction score
That sensor switch says "It does not pass data"

If you scroll down to discription it's in bold.

The set up I had with the splitter (posted in this thread while back) worked for me flawlessly, till about a week ago. Uconect kept saying device not supported. But then it also kept saying when I plugged the Motorola in directly. I've since gotten a new Motorola dongle, but it's plugged in directly. I got the " searching for android auto" for hours yesterday. So might plug it back up the way I had it . I was wondering if that had the dongle go bad. (Had come back here to see if there were any new ideas ..(

Last edited:

DHicks

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested to hear if this works!! My Ottocast staying connected to my phone is driving me nuts!!

Has anyone tried both the Ottocast MX & Aawireless? I am strongly considering switching from Ottocast to Aawireless..
Unfortunately it did not work.

Nitewulf

Reaction score
The back of the USB media has a mini USB connector, so I setup a relay switch to the +power of a mini usb extender. Works first time (truck off, plug in USB dongle, and dongle is off until truck is turned on), but won't turn off when truck is turned off.

There's an 8 pin connector that gives power after the dongle initiates power. From some further testing, it appears the original idea will work if done with the 8 pin connector red wire (+). My issue is that I can't find the male connector to make a plug and play harness and I'm not willing to cut original harness.

8 pin female connector part number 7283-6459-40. On the connector, says >PBT-GF15< YA-14. If someone finds a female connector I will build the harness to test my theory.

Attachments

• 20240203_110429.jpg
    20240203_110429.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240203_110445.jpg
    20240203_110445.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/