5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disabling always on power in usb ports

frybel

Reaction score
Hi all,
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I went with the gen forum. Anyway, I looked through the manual, and searched through the menu settings, but I couldn't find a way to disable the always on power setting from the center stack usb ports. Is this even possible? I recently added a dash cam, and it will power down after 5 seconds of no vehicle power, so I'd like to be able to kill the #2 usb plug (8.4 Uconnect nav), as opposed to plugging/unplugging the cable every time I drive.

What's hilarious to me is I actually had to do the reverse in my '17 Pacifica, and do the "move the fuse" hack to force the usb port in the center stack to remain on when the van was off to charge phones. Is there a similar hack on the fuse panels in our trucks?

AZLimited

Reaction score
Just installed one myself this weekend. The front USB ports only stay on for about an hour after turning vehicle off, so no worry about draining battery.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Just installed one myself this weekend. The front USB ports only stay on for about an hour after turning vehicle off, so no worry about draining battery.
Correct. USB ports shut down after 60 min to prevent battery drain.

Tom488

Reaction score
As an option, you could get a 12V-to-USB adapter, and power it from the 12V accessory outlet instead - that goes off immediately when the truck is shut off

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As mentioned, I believe all the USB ports have a 1 hour live setting, it's a feature like leaving your phone plugged in the truck while you go to lunch so it can still charge.

Also, as Tom488 mentioned earlier, the 12v outlet located on the top of the dash shuts off immediately when the ignition is turned off. I put a dual USB flush fit socket in there to power my action cam, which I use as a dash cam. Works great in that it turns on and starts recording when the ignition is turned on, turn off and stops recording when I turn off the truck.

And yup, if you want to want to remove the 1 hour live for the USBs after shut-off, you just need to change/move the circuit breaker, there are some threads here that go into detail on how to do it.

Last edited:

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The fuse position/move only applies to the 12V outlet on top of the dash. It does not change anything for the 2 USB Ports.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I can't stand cords on my dash so I always purchase the install kits and wire mine in direct. It's a much cleaner install that doesn't take that long and then you have your choice of where to power it from.
The last kit I bought came with a nifty little fuse adapter that plugged directly in so there was very little to do other than run wires behind a couple panels.

ksu1971

Reaction score
My USB ports are not shutting down after an hour they stay on as long as something is plugged into them

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My USB ports are not shutting down after an hour they stay on as long as something is plugged into them

I wondering here, because not sure, but I wonder if they reset after you open the car door. So just opening the door to check on them, the power will be back on.

If that is the case, can you plug in a USB light or something similar, so you can clearly see if the power is on without opening your car door? The way I knew for certain they turned off in an hour is that my USB cable had a small illuminated end that should come on when power was on, it turned off after an hour.

ksu1971

Reaction score
I wondering here, because not sure, but I wonder if they reset after you open the car door. So just opening the door to check on them, the power will be back on.

If that is the case, can you plug in a USB light or something similar, so you can clearly see if the power is on without opening your car door? The way I knew for certain they turned off in an hour is that my USB cable had a small illuminated end that should come on when power was on, it turned off after an hour.
I thought the same thing so I set the device up on the dash and it has an indicator light on it. I even left my key fob away from the truck. The think broadcast a wifi signal and my phone constantly would connect to the wifi signal.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I thought the same thing so I set the device up on the dash and it has an indicator light on it. I even left my key fob away from the truck. The think broadcast a wifi signal and my phone constantly would connect to the wifi signal.

Gotcha, I wonder if that is a change or based on the trim package. Either way, there is a way to make the USBs turn off with the accessories, a simple switch of the circuit breakers so it acts like the 12v on top of the dash.

ksu1971

Reaction score
Gotcha, I wonder if that is a change or based on the trim package. Either way, there is a way to make the USBs turn off with the accessories, a simple switch of the circuit breakers so it acts like the 12v on top of the dash.
I have a 2019 Laramie Longhorn. What is the switch I need to make?

equalie

Reaction score
Correct. USB ports shut down after 60 min to prevent battery drain.
hello. just passed by looking at thia thread and have been very frustrated with this very feature. is there a way to disable this feature so the usb data and power turns off right away. I have bought a usb wireless android dongle which works very well but it keeps it on and messes with my wifi connection because it's still on in the truck. would love to get rid of that feature...any help would be great. thanks.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
hello. just passed by looking at thia thread and have been very frustrated with this very feature. is there a way to disable this feature so the usb data and power turns off right away. I have bought a usb wireless android dongle which works very well but it keeps it on and messes with my wifi connection because it's still on in the truck. would love to get rid of that feature...any help would be great. thanks.
Sorry. Not aware of a way to do this. Perhaps some custom coding, but that's not something I've played around with. Hopefully, someone can chime in.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
IIRC, the USB ports have 3 terminals each in the fuse panel so you can move the fuse to one side or the other to get constant power or switched power.

Now, that may have been the old way before the USB’s all got tied in to the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread