5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ding in Chrome grill

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
Well it has been one month and we have a small rock ding in the chrome grill adjacent to the hood. Is there a preferred method for repairing this? Such as a chrome touchup pen?

Thanks,

Michael

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It is not the end of the world sort of thing. Just wanted to make sure first that there is no way to fix it before I started to ignore it. LOL:)

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well it has been one month and we have a small rock ding in the chrome grill adjacent to the hood. Is there a preferred method for repairing this? Such as a chrome touchup pen?

Thanks,

Michael
I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll need to replace the grille every few years if I want it to look new. Same will (eventually) be true for the windshield.

Fortunately, the Taiwanese make some fantastic OEM-quality plastic parts. I don’t know if anything is available for the 5th-gens yet, but give it a few years...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll need to replace the grille every few years if I want it to look new. Same will (eventually) be true for the windshield.

Fortunately, the Taiwanese make some fantastic OEM-quality plastic parts. I don’t know if anything is available for the 5th-gens yet, but give it a few years...
I had Xpel installed on my grill just to give it another level of protection. My 2019 looked "almost" new and I had the Xpel installed on it too only a few days after purchase as was done to my 2021.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had Xpel installed on my grill just to give it another level of protection. My 2019 looked "almost" new and I had the Xpel installed on it too only a few days after purchase as was done to my 2021.
It is very noticeable on chrome, which is why we left it off the grille when wrapping the rest of the front.

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
It is very noticeable on chrome, which is why we left it off the grille when wrapping the rest of the front.
It is. I will show it to my step-son, who sold us the truck, and see if the dealer he works for has any suggestions.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
My installer had installed it on chrome before (my 2019). Grill and mirror caps and you wouldn't know it was there unless you got up very close and saw the delineation lines of where it stopped.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My installer had installed it on chrome before (my 2019). Grill and mirror caps and you wouldn't know it was there unless you got up very close and saw the delineation lines of where it stopped.
I used a high-end installer. We’ve never seen an installation on chrome that wasn’t noticeable. Maybe we’re just “picky” :)

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I used a high-end installer. We’ve never seen an installation on chrome that wasn’t noticeable. Maybe we’re just “picky” :)
You haven't met "picky" until you've met me...super perfectionist and the little things bother me greatly ;) Maybe my installer is just better at what he does than yours after doing all of the Ferrari's, Mclarens, Lambos, Porsche, MB, Audi, BMW, Maserati's in town...he has to be perfect:p

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You haven't met "picky" until you've met me...super perfectionist and the little things bother me greatly ;) Maybe my installer is just better at what he does than yours after doing all of the Ferrari's, Mclarens, Lambos, Porsche, MB, Audi, BMW, Maserati's in town...he has to be perfect:p
Sounds like we went to similar installers.

As a self-proclaimed "super perfectionist", you must already know that the film itself is the issue. Adding a mostly-translucent material of non-zero thickness changes the reflectivity of the chrome; such are the physics of light transmission. In XPEL's own words: "Any of our films can be installed on Chrome, though the finish will look slightly different than if left unprotected. We recommend having your installer apply a small swatch to the desired surface so you can see what it looks like before deciding."

Still, I'm encouraged by your comments. I don't know if I've heard anyone (on any forum) expressing satisfaction of the look of PPF on their chrome. This gives me hope that when I (someday) replace my grille, I can get it wrapped first and see how it cures out.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like we went to similar installers.

As a self-proclaimed "super perfectionist", you must already know that the film itself is the issue. Adding a mostly-translucent material of non-zero thickness changes the reflectivity of the chrome; such are the physics of light transmission. In XPEL's own words: "Any of our films can be installed on Chrome, though the finish will look slightly different than if left unprotected. We recommend having your installer apply a small swatch to the desired surface so you can see what it looks like before deciding."

Still, I'm encouraged by your comments. I don't know if I've heard anyone (on any forum) expressing satisfaction of the look of PPF on their chrome. This gives me hope that when I (someday) replace my grille, I can get it wrapped first and see how it cures out.
I can tell you Speedy that we discussed this as the installer is a good friend of mine. Totally get the physics of light transmission and the impact of the film...I had to take a full year of Physics in college :sick: He said he's had great success so we tried my chrome mirror covers first since they're easy to do. It looked like the PPF wasn't even there. We then proceeded to do my grill. I guess as long as you do ALL of the frontal chrome, it will all look the same and maybe far less noticeable?

Certainly can't hurt to give it a go.

RMTaylor1956

Reaction score
Thanks! I will check into Xpel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online