5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differential Fluid and eTorque repairs

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has been a while since I posted on here. Just wanted to share a couple things about repairs and maintenance on my 2020 eTorque, about 46k miles.

About a month ago I changed the differential fluid to Valvoline Synpower synthetic. It was really easy to do (easier than an oil change (8mm fill hex bit, 14mm drain hex bit), considering I got it in the bags instead of plastic jugs so didn't need a pump) and made a huge difference in the smoothness of how it drives. Wish I would have done it 15k miles sooner.

I also started to hear a whine about a month ago coming from the generator area. Wasn't sure if it was the electric motor, tensioner, or something else. It was not all the time, and mostly when the vehicle was driven the first few miles after sitting for several hours or overnight, and only at city speeds. Turns out it was a bad electric motor (probably a bearing). My dealer was outstanding (Bergstrom in Oshkosh, WI). They diagnosed it quickly, had one in stock (😲), it was covered under the emissions warranty to 80k miles. They also found that there was a software update for the electric motor/etorque and did that. I asked them to also replace the belts (main one was $85 and secondary was $15) if they had to be taken off to replace the motor. Turns out they didn't need to be fully taken off, but still didn't charge me for the labor to replace them. The software update greatly improved my #1 complaint with the truck since I bought it - the regenerative braking feeling of the etorque when slowing down.

The truck drives better than it ever has. I might just have to keep it until just under 100k now, which would be about another four years. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back