5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differential Additives

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be perfectly fine. The gears and bearings are the same no matter the carrier type. You should youtube a differential.

"Standard" ratio??🤔

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All,
I'm in the learning phase as well.
So I am sure I have just a regular rear axle in the 4x4 truck with no special gears.
So what happens if one were to add the Mopar Friction Modifier fluid when doing the fluid change along with the required rear-end gear oil to a standard ratio, standard rear-end differential?
Just curious if this would be detrimental?
I can't be the only one that has this question rattling around in my head.

BlueHemi1500
Will not hurt anything. Just waste of money on additive you don't need.

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
Woops - yeah, so that’s new info. If the front is as easy as the back, then I might do that next weekend. Thanks!

For the back, the torque specs I used are 18ft lbs for the 8MM and 44 for the 14MM - tho, you can get by with ‘feel’ since you will be loosening them. I see that question asked a lot with no definitive answer.
So I got both front and rear done. I ended up doing the rear 2 times because of dirty it was. I wanted to get every bit of whatever it was out. A mechanic at my work said, they don't clean off the grease that the gears are packed in before filling the diff. I can believe that given the stuff felt like grease and stuck to everything like packing grease. It was a blackish almost gunpowder grey color. Magnets wouldn't attract it. I could clearly see glitter a couple thin rice sized shavings, and this greasy stuff separate from one another. So idk.

Anyways hopefully I'm replying in time to save you the trouble. The front even though that drive shaft is spinning looked like brand new fluid. Idk how. I guess the gears inside don't spin some how untill 4x4 is actually turned on. Still glad I did simply because now both front and rear are filled with amsoil.

Man I wish I woulda known just how awful that stuff smells. Thankfully my buddy told me not to wash those clothes in my washer.

Jesusisgod

Reaction score
You haven't lived until you've done a clutch on your back in the driveway and ended up with a 90 weight shampoo.
O no what's that smell like? When I came in covered in the gear oil my wife said I smelt like a fishes vigina **** out a poop 🤣.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
Thank you all who responded to my question.
I think my standard rear gear ratio is 3.21 or something close to that number(s), I am not a mechanic. no locker, no anti-spin rear, just the factory default rear end vs. all the other factory options you can order. I got my truck Nused so it came as it is and that was fine as I do not tow and do very little "off-roading" nothing technical at least.

BlueHemi1500

Tinscrew

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I got both front and rear done. I ended up doing the rear 2 times because of dirty it was. I wanted to get every bit of whatever it was out. A mechanic at my work said, they don't clean off the grease that the gears are packed in before filling the diff. I can believe that given the stuff felt like grease and stuck to everything like packing grease. It was a blackish almost gunpowder grey color. Magnets wouldn't attract it. I could clearly see glitter a couple thin rice sized shavings, and this greasy stuff separate from one another. So idk.

Anyways hopefully I'm replying in time to save you the trouble. The front even though that drive shaft is spinning looked like brand new fluid. Idk how. I guess the gears inside don't spin some how untill 4x4 is actually turned on. Still glad I did simply because now both front and rear are filled with amsoil.

Man I wish I woulda known just how awful that stuff smells. Thankfully my buddy told me not to wash those clothes in my washer.
My experience was exactly the same as yours, down to the smell, rear sludge and front being very clean. Hard to see the gunk that settled at the bottom in the photo

image.jpg

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I believe it said antispin rear differential. To my knowledge they are the same thing. I don't have the window sticker beside me right now. But on the ram app it says my options. As far as I know it's correct. View attachment 185892

All,
I'm in the learning phase as well.
So I am sure I have just a regular rear axle in the 4x4 truck with no special gears.
So what happens if one were to add the Mopar Friction Modifier fluid when doing the fluid change along with the required rear-end gear oil to a standard ratio, standard rear-end differential?
Just curious if this would be detrimental?
I can't be the only one that has this question rattling around in my head.

BlueHemi1500

Users who are viewing this thread