5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diesel sound

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So my 2020 absolutely sounds more like a diesel truck than my 2015 did. Anyone know if the sound deadening foam on the engine has been removes or reduced?

Arth

Reaction score
So my 2020 absolutely sounds more like a diesel truck than my 2015 did. Anyone know if the sound deadening foam on the engine has been removes or reduced?

No I think it's been increased. I found inserts on each side of the fender. I don't know if it sounds louder compared to my 2018 but I can certainly hear the turbo a lot more.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No I think it's been increased. I found inserts on each side of the fender. I don't know if it sounds louder compared to my 2018 but I can certainly hear the turbo a lot more.
I hear more of the pinging sound.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first diesel so I have nothing to compare it to.
I like hearing the diesel, I turn off the radio sometimes in city driving just to hear the engine.
On the highway it’s hard to tell it’s a diesel unless you accelerate.
I can’t hear the turbo whistle, must be my age and the wringing in my ears at the same pitch.
My third Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk has the 2L turbo and I have 2 snow machines, Arctic Cat T660 Turbos, and can’t hear the turbo on any of them. The non turbo Arctic Cats has only 56hp compared to 110hp with the turbo!
One thing for sure the turbo absolutely wakes up an engine.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I often drive with the music off and I'm deep in thought so I hear all the sounds the truck makes.

My '15 had very little diesel sound but even when in 2 wheel drive I could always here the grinding of the clutches. My '20 is significantly louder from a pinging perspective but I haven't heard any of the clutch sounds yet. I don't hear the turbo in either, perhaps that sound is in one of my old age deafness ranges ;)

Arth

Reaction score
I often drive with the music off and I'm deep in thought so I hear all the sounds the truck makes.

My '15 had very little diesel sound but even when in 2 wheel drive I could always here the grinding of the clutches. My '20 is significantly louder from a pinging perspective but I haven't heard any of the clutch sounds yet. I don't hear the turbo in either, perhaps that sound is in one of my old age deafness ranges ;)

Haha. Well I know I am still very young and I hear the turbo whistle. It is defiantly up in the frequency range.

Pinging can't say I have. I know the engine/supportive crap sure makes some weird noises while it's cold.

Overall I think this engine is a massive improvement over the 2nd gen that was in my 2018. It does have just enough of a diesel sound when driving around.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When cold it's definitely louder. But on the highway all I can hear is the turbo whistle occasionally when it's under load. Very impressed with how quiet it is.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the engine cover, removed all the foam sound insulation, removed the snorkel between the air box and the grille, and replaced the intake pipe from the air box to the turbo with the T&S Speed Shop aluminum pipe. On a cold morning she sounds like a piece of construction equipment now. I love it. If I keep this truck long term the exhaust system is the next thing to go.

Arth

Reaction score
I removed the engine cover, removed all the foam sound insulation, removed the snorkel between the air box and the grille, and replaced the intake pipe from the air box to the turbo with the T&S Speed Shop aluminum pipe. On a cold morning she sounds like a piece of construction equipment now. I love it. If I keep this truck long term the exhaust system is the next thing to go.

Wouldn't mind hearing that noise just for comparison.

NWRogue

Reaction score
Luckily, my tinnitus and the turbo whistle are different frequencies. It is still vey quiet, only hear it in certain situations but it is there.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's the aluminum parts now like the aluminum hood. It is unmistakable a diesel. Nothing like a TDi where you could dismiss it as a loud gasser.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's the aluminum parts now like the aluminum hood. It is unmistakable a diesel. Nothing like a TDi where you could dismiss it as a loud gasser.
The hood etc is the same as the Gen 4 truck. The engine cover is smaller but personally I think it's the tune causing more ping when cold.

Users who are viewing this thread